Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Best DS tribute bands  (Read 4753 times)

Offlineybot

• Camerado
Best DS tribute bands
« on: October 27, 2017, 03:44:11 PM »
There are many nice bands.
I can name 2 of them I like the most: "Real Straits" (angel miguel leading guitar and vocals,from Spain and "Dire Strats" from Germany(wolfgang Uhlich on guitar)

OnlineKris-b

• Camerado
Re: Best DS tribute bands
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
I have seen Brothers in Band from Spain and Dire Strats too. Both where great fun, you could see that they were really enjoying to play.

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 04:56:19 PM »
Yes, Brothers in Band too

I like "real straits" the most because they follow each note as DS, live and studio versions

OfflineHolger_MK

• Local Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 11:38:23 PM »
Real Straits are doing a great job but the best tribute to Dire Strais is german band dIRE sTRATS. Lead guitar (Wolfgang Uhlich), keyboards (Tobi Blattmann) and saxophone (Matze Schinkopf) are as good as possible:

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2017, 11:45:53 PM »
Yes. I believe "dire strats" were better at their beginnings
Wolfgang is great.
And singer Spencer is nice too

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 06:46:07 AM »
There are two things I don't like about Dire Strats. The singer voice... And the fact the the singer is not the lead guitarist.

These are two things that make Brothers in band or Real Straits better. Their singer voice fits better and they play the lead guitar as MK does, and they do it very well, even better (imho) than Dire Strats lead guitar.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 12:38:15 PM »
There are two things I don't like about Dire Strats. The singer voice... And the fact the the singer is not the lead guitarist.

These are two things that make Brothers in band or Real Straits better. Their singer voice fits better and they play the lead guitar as MK does, and they do it very well, even better (imho) than Dire Strats lead guitar.

I like Dire Strats even though tribute bands are not my thing.  However, I know what you mean regarding your reservations.  I think the problem that foreign tribute bands have is their accent and the fact that Mark "speaks" most of his songs.  When you sing you lose your accent and that is why most other artists have successful tribute acts.  DS will never have a fully successful tribute act without a British "singer."
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 12:56:09 PM »

I like Dire Strats even though tribute bands are not my thing.  However, I know what you mean regarding your reservations.  I think the problem that foreign tribute bands have is their accent and the fact that Mark "speaks" most of his songs.  When you sing you lose your accent and that is why most other artists have successful tribute acts.  DS will never have a fully successful tribute act without a British "singer."

Here's a British tribute (supposedly). Oh my, what song should we play? What about "Sultans Of Swing"? :disbelief

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 12:57:04 PM »
Yes but I find Bib and rs singers voice similar and that fit with the songs, but with DS, no...

Offlineybot

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 01:37:49 PM »
The Most important tip to be the best tribute band is the leading guitar at live versions gigs.
Studio version are not such a difficult task to mimic.
As Mark has got dozen of solo versions of each song a frontman or leading guitarist must follow his registered note combinations.
Wolfgang has got his personality to play as Mark and add some of his own notes too
Brothers in band is very nice.
I like real straits the most because his frontman copies each of Mark's solo versions through the years. And his guitars
As he is Spanish (angel miguel) his accent is not good.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 08:42:27 AM »
Just stumbled across this website: http://www.barts.cat/ca/e-697/BROTHERS-IN-BAND

This is Brothers In Band tribute website, but this line bugs me...

"Vaig pensar que era una gravació nostra", Guy Fletcher (Teclista de Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler)
"I thought it was our recording," Guy Fletcher (Keyboardist for Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler)

Did Guy really ever said that??????????????? Where they get all these statements?

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 08:58:04 AM »
Just stumbled across this website: http://www.barts.cat/ca/e-697/BROTHERS-IN-BAND

"Vaig pensar que era una gravació nostra", Guy Fletcher (Teclista de Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler)
"I thought it was our recording," Guy Fletcher (Keyboardist for Dire Straits & Mark Knopfler)

Did Guy really ever said that??????????????? Where they get all these statements?

I remember in a tour diary, I don't remember exactly, but it was about Why aye man, so it must be in 2005 or 2008
Guy was in a car and was around a venue where a tribute band played, and he said something like "for few second I tought it was us"

can't remember exactly, but it's the idea

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2017, 09:09:57 AM »

I remember in a tour diary, I don't remember exactly, but it was about Why aye man, so it must be in 2005 or 2008
Guy was in a car and was around a venue where a tribute band played, and he said something like "for few second I tought it was us"

can't remember exactly, but it's the idea

Yes, that was what Guy said. The guys from the band were invited to meet the MK band and when inside the bullring, someone from the management said to them that they thought someone was playing MK music outside, when what it was Brothers In Band soundchecking. The next day Guy posted something similar in his diary.

https://web.archive.org/web/20080409170032/http://www.guyfletcher.co.uk:80/cms/index.php/page/5th%20April%20-%20Granada%20-%20Coliseo%20Atarfe

Guy's words:
As we walked in we heard a band playing which turned out to be a tribute band set up on a stage outside the venue. They were playing Why Aye Man and I have to say I thought it was recording of us...until that is they got to the breakdown section. I actually met some of the guys at the meet and greet, nice chaps.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 09:30:52 AM »
Guy's words:
As we walked in we heard a band playing which turned out to be a tribute band set up on a stage outside the venue. They were playing Why Aye Man and I have to say I thought it was recording of us...until that is they got to the breakdown section. I actually met some of the guys at the meet and greet, nice chaps.

Thanks! That was almost 10 years ago, I can't believe it...
That's all right then, I thought this quote was made up :clap

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 36 queries.