Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero - musical  (Read 171217 times)

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Re: Local Hero - musical
« Reply #240 on: June 24, 2018, 05:40:24 PM »
Has anyone received the pre-sale code for the Old Vic performances yet? Tickets go on sale at 1000 on Monday.

No.

Maybe the same code to Edinburgh would apply?

I’m not so sure. The E-mail advising of the pre-sale code for the Royal Lyceum shows stated that the code for the Old Vic pre-sale would be advised at a later date, but I've not heard anything since.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #241 on: June 25, 2018, 10:19:30 AM »
Has anyone received the pre-sale code for the Old Vic performances yet? Tickets go on sale at 1000 on Monday.

No.

I’m not so sure. The E-mail advising of the pre-sale code for the Royal Lyceum shows stated that the code for the Old Vic pre-sale would be advised at a later date, but I've not heard anything since.

Maybe that means that the presale date won't be today, but another day not mentioned yet?

If it was today, the presale, acoording to the mail before that one, is in 40 minutes and still no words for the presale...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #242 on: June 25, 2018, 11:01:26 AM »

No.

Maybe that means that the presale date won't be today, but another day not mentioned yet?

If it was today, the presale, acoording to the mail before that one, is in 40 minutes and still no words for the presale...

I have just sent an E-mail to MK.com asking them to clarify what is happening.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #243 on: June 25, 2018, 02:01:57 PM »
I take it no one has actually managed to book anything, in the absence of an email link, or any sign of it on the Old Vic website?

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #244 on: June 25, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »
I take it no one has actually managed to book anything, in the absence of an email link, or any sign of it on the Old Vic website?

No. Just awaiting a reply from MK.com. Hopefully they can clarify what is happening.

OfflineFenderBender

• Camerado
« Reply #245 on: June 25, 2018, 04:01:57 PM »
I've just noticed that the Lyceum, Edinburgh has announced that tickets for preview performances between Tuesday 19 and Friday 22 March, priced between £15 and £25 will be on sale from 3 July.

I know there is no reason what is happening in Edinburgh should affect what happens in London, but perhaps this might be why the Old Vic ticket launch has been delayed?
This baker's boy from the West Country

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #246 on: June 25, 2018, 04:14:46 PM »
FYI: I’ve just received a reply from MK.com. The pre-sale for the Old Vic has been pushed back to September. Precise date and time as yet unknown.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #247 on: June 25, 2018, 05:35:43 PM »
FYI: I’ve just received a reply from MK.com. The pre-sale for the Old Vic has been pushed back to September. Precise date and time as yet unknown.

Looks more logical if they announce the MK dates at the same time and we can organise a double travel ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #249 on: June 28, 2018, 01:21:52 PM »
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/news/entertainment/stage-version-of-local-hero-gets-love-triangle-twist-1-4760973

LE

Very interesting article...

It is true that in the film you can note that Mac has some feelings for the Hotel owner's wife but it's quite subtle. And the last scene is also subtle but you can really imagine that is Mac calling at the phone box... great they are going deeper into it.

It must had been challenging to MK to write stories in first person with dialogs to be sung in front of an audience...

I specially like this part:

There is an awful lot more precision and discipline, certainly from my point of view as a filmmaker. My one main ritual which I never ceased to reslish was at the end day’s shooting when I would take a pen through the pages that we had shot. With theatre it is endlessly provisional. Even the first week of a week run are called previews. I’m sure every night the director is up at the back and grabbing the actors on the way out. That is part of the perversion of it.

It kind of implies that MK work as lyricist is not done even the musical is actually on stage!!!!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:26:20 PM by jbaent »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #250 on: June 28, 2018, 01:33:57 PM »
Link is closed for me:( Please, copy
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #251 on: June 28, 2018, 01:49:29 PM »
Link is closed for me:( Please, copy

Stage version of Local Hero gets ‘love triangle’ twist

Local Hero is set to be turned into a “love triangle” romance when it becomes a new stage musical in Edinburgh next year, its creator has revealed.

Speaking for the first time about the adaptation, writer and director Bill Forsyth has revealed the story will expand on an element of romantic intrigue in his original film.

Released in 1983, it followed the events which unfold when an American tycoon sends an executive, Mac, to a remote West Highland village to try to close a deal on a site for a new refinery.

Played by Peter Riegert in the film, Mac is gradually won over by the landscape and the locals, and appears increasingly drawn to Stella, who runs the local hotel with husband Gordon.

But Mac reluctantly leaves the village behind at the end of the film when his boss Happer (Burt Lancaster) arrives and decides to pull the plug on the refinery plan after meeting beach hermit Ben.

Forsyth is joining forces with Dire Straits legend Mark Knopfler, who created the original iconic soundtrack, and David Greig, artistic director of the Royal Lyeum Theatre in Edinburgh, to create the musical, which will premiere there in January.

Speaking at the Edinburgh International Film Festival, Forsyth has revealed he still felt the much-loved ending of the film was “a cop out”.

He revealed to the audience at the Filmhouse that Mac is the mystery caller to the village’s red phone box in the film’s famous final scene, which was added at the last minute after studio executives were unhappy about the film ending with Mac returning to his apartment in Houston and gazing out at the night sky.

Discussing the processing of adapting his film script into a musical, Forsyth said: “It’s not been so much a practical thing about working out what stay and goes, it’s been that ultimate question: ‘what is this thing about?’
“It confounds me how much the film seems to work and when people respond to it and say it does this and that.

“For me, it is quite an elusive thing because the main character obviously changes, but there aren’t many dramatic situations that you see changing him.

“Through the movie, Mark Knopfler created the place as a character. There are so many examples of the place impressing itself on Mac - I hadn’t realised that until very recently.

“One of the instincts we had was to throw it onto the characters more, since they were going to be singing the story.

“The basis of it is is that there is a human triangle. The film doesn’t lay it out that much. It’s there but it is only in hints and atmospheres.

“The characters in the film go through their changes without really sharing anything. There is no real dialogue between them. I wouldn’t think about tampering with the end of the film. But it has cropped up a lot in the thinking about the musical. The ending of the film wasn’t in the original cut. The film that I wrote ended in Mac’s apartment. The studio sat me down and said they liked the film, but they thought it had a way to go and would like me to reshoot the ending. Their idea was to make it a tidier ending, with Mac getting back out of the helicopter after everyone says goodbye. I was given overnight to think about it. We got away with it the way we did it. But I’m still unsure as to whether it was a cop-out or not.”

Forsyth admitted he regarded the theatre world as “dangerous” and said he had always had an “edgy relationship” with being in an audience. He added: “I think there is a real element of danger in theatre and it is challenging. That is how it operates. Maybe I’m just highly sensitive but I do still think that - there is something dangerous about theatre.

“If anyone asked me up until fairly recently, and even probably now, I would say that theatre is a language that I don’t understand - it’s a practical, philosophical and emotional language that I don’t understand. I think that’s the way it probably remains. The major difference is that on a film set you have got control. You can stop and start and say ‘let’s do it again’ or ‘let’s come back tomorrow’ if things get really tough.

“There is an awful lot more precision and discipline, certainly from my point of view as a filmmaker. My one main ritual which I never ceased to reslish was at the end day’s shooting when I would take a pen through the pages that we had shot. With theatre it is endlessly provisional. Even the first week of a week run are called previews. I’m sure every night the director is up at the back and grabbing the actors on the way out. That is part of the perversion of it.”

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #252 on: June 28, 2018, 01:50:53 PM »
Thank you very much jbaent :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #253 on: June 28, 2018, 02:09:46 PM »
Another one:

http://theconversation.com/local-hero-at-35-turning-hollywoods-greatest-scottish-film-into-a-musical-99054

Local Hero at 35: turning Hollywood’s greatest Scottish film into a musical
junio 28, 2018 12.31pm CEST
Shutterstock.
Autor: Alistair Scott

Associate Professor of Film and Television School of Arts and Creative Industries, Edinburgh Napier University

It’s 35 years since writer/director Bill Forsyth almost single-handedly kickstarted the modern Scottish film industry. At this year’s Edinburgh International Film Festival (EIFF), Forsyth was invited to return for a screening of his 1983 international hit Local Hero, described by festival director Mark Adams as “a defining moment of Scottish storytelling”.

It was clear that for everyone in the packed cinema, this was a chance to relive treasured memories. At the Q&A afterwards, responding to sustained applause with typical self-deprecation, Forsyth commented that he didn’t feel as nervous about audience screenings now the film was 35 years old, as he was sure no one was seeing it for the first time. “I guessed that you would probably like it”, he told them wryly.

Listening to the audience, it is clear that for many people, Local Hero is still a “favourite film”, but it is difficult to pinpoint just what makes this understated comedy have such longevity.

Could its be down to the way the story is a timeless (and prophetic) eco-fable? A rapacious Texan oil company shifts from its attempts to buy up a picturesque Scottish fishing village for the creation of an oil terminal, to create instead an institute dedicated to preserving and understanding the natural world.

Or is it the gradual seduction of cynical American oilman Mac – sent to negotiate the deal – by the people and the landscape? Or the peculiar oddities of the main characters, from the monomaniacal obsessions of oil magnate Felix Happer, to the twinkling homespun wisdom of Ben, who refuses to sell the beach where he has always made his living? Or is it the charming guile of the Urquharts, Gordon and Stella, the oversexed owners of the local hotel, and the way Mac now desires their life over his apartment and Porsche in Houston?

Then there’s the magical, if innocent, attraction between young local Knox Oil representative Oldsen, played by Peter Capaldi in his first-ever screen role – awkward, clumsy and head over heels for Marina, the scientist, diver and possible mermaid. And the large ensemble of actors portraying a village – revealed through unexpected comic cameos – eager to make a fast buck, reminiscent of that other Scottish classic, Whisky Galore!.

Perhaps it’s the many subtle but joyous sight gags – the ubiquitous presence of the baby that no one will admit to fathering; the gentle on-the-spot jigging of the tweed-clad bushy-eyebrowed old boys as they consider the impending loot; the look of pure contentment on the lady shopkeeper as she slow-dances with the wandering Russian sailor; and the drunk man trying to pat the dog by the harbour – that evoke constant delight in the viewer.

The audience is drawn into this film through all of these elements and the way Forsyth’s script and direction are never predictable. He takes familiar representations of Scotland, such as the village ceilidh, and finds new ways to tell a multi-layered, complex and nuanced story with lasting resonance.
Local Hero: the musical

The enduring appeal of Local Hero was only part of the reason for the EIFF screening – as well as celebrating the past life of the film, this event looked forward to a new future for Local Hero the musical.
Local Hero director Bill Forsyth with the forthcoming musical’s director David Greig. Mihaela Bodlovic, CC BY-SA

When playwright David Greig took up his post as artistic director of Edinburgh’s Royal Lyceum Theatre in 2016, he asked Forsyth if they could work together to adapt the film into a stage musical. The project reunites Forsyth with Dire Straits’ Mark Knopfler, composer of the original score, alongside a new creative team led by Irish theatre director John Crowley.

In conversation, Forsyth gave the audience some insights into the process of adapting the story from the film to the stage. The key challenge has been the ultimate question: what is the movie about? The musical version will need to find new ways to answer this question and develop the story of the village and the key characters.

When Forsyth asked Mark Knopfler he responded: “It’s about a beach”, and talked about how his film score responded to the “geological hum” he felt came from the landscape. In the film the way the characters Mac, Oldsen and Happer develop and change is a process of osmosis – the gradual, incremental ways they respond to the sea and the sky, captured visually by stunning cinematography. On stage the challenge will be how to transfer the effect of the beach, the sky and the sea, and how to bring a sense of place to the adaption, something Forsyth says Knopfler managed to capture as a character with his memorable score.
A marvellous fiction

It is well known that the film setting was itself a fiction. Shooting took place in two separate locations 175 miles apart to portray this idealised Scottish community. The main village of whitewashed fishermen’s cottages with its hotel, harbour and iconic red telephone box was filmed in Pennan on the east coast, looking out to the North Sea. The beach location was at Camusdarach on the west coast near Arisaig, looking across the Atlantic to the inner Hebridean islands of Eigg and Rum.

The location and story of Local Hero created a Scotland of the imagination – through story, characters and setting – which appealed, not because it gave an authentic reflection of everyday real lives and real places, but because the film captured emotional connections and humour that linked to a tradition of Scottish storytelling and comedy. Through these things Forsyth’s own perspective became universal. From the glimpses of how the adaptation is progressing, it would seem this is a good starting place for the film’s new incarnation.

Whatever it will be, its celluloid predecessor has banked enormous goodwill and affection for Local Hero, even before the musical hits the stage.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #254 on: June 28, 2018, 02:21:42 PM »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 40 queries.