Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero - musical  (Read 168745 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Local Hero - musical
« Reply #510 on: March 18, 2019, 06:32:45 PM »
These were that titles:

01) AIMING FOR THE STARS
02) BARREL OF CRUDE
03) CHEEKY WEE PINT
04) CHEERIO AWAY YE GO
05) FILTHY DIRTY RICH
06) I HOPE YOU HAVEN'T CHANGED O(PINION)
07) I WONDER IF I CAN GO HOME AG(AIN)
08) IN AN IDEAL WORLD
09) ONLY ROCKS AND WATER
10) PERSONAL
11) SONG ABOUT LOVE
12) THAT D DO NICELY
13) THINGS WE DO
14) WE'RE GOING TO MAKE A KILLIN'
15) WHAT A LIFE
16) YOU CAN'T EAT THE SCENERY
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #511 on: March 18, 2019, 10:59:42 PM »
I wonder what happened to "You Can't Eat the Scenery"?    :think

They couldn't digest the lyrics.
Removing this track is hard to stomach.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 11:53:20 PM by dustyvalentino »
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

hunter

« Reply #512 on: March 19, 2019, 06:04:53 AM »
I wonder what happened to "You Can't Eat the Scenery"?    :think

They couldn't digest the lyrics.
Removing this track is hard stomach.

Hm. Food for thought.

OfflineJustme

• Romeo
  • Kilnockie Supporters Club
« Reply #513 on: March 19, 2019, 06:49:42 PM »
It's the result of cherrypicking.
And she's sitting in her Lusso, in the early morning sun.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #514 on: March 20, 2019, 11:00:22 AM »
I don't see a mention of the Danny Oldsen character - played by Peter Capaldi in the film!    :think
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #515 on: March 20, 2019, 11:41:31 AM »
I don't see a mention of the Danny Oldsen character - played by Peter Capaldi in the film!    :think

Maybe his character is not important for the development of the action in the musical... Probably nobody goes to the airport to pick Mac and he arrives alone to Ferness...

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #516 on: March 20, 2019, 01:28:43 PM »

Maybe his character is not important for the development of the action in the musical... Probably nobody goes to the airport to pick Mac and he arrives alone to Ferness...

Correct; you can't drive across a stage.  He carries his suitcases across the stage.  For the plane trip from Houston the cast carry some chairs onto the stage and sound effects imitate an aircraft.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #517 on: March 23, 2019, 03:56:36 PM »
Some good tweets from Mariella Frostrup.  She said the songs were sublime and worth the price of the ticket alone!  Really looking forward to being there - not long now.   :).
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #518 on: March 24, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »
https://inews.co.uk/culture/local-hero-lyceum-edinburgh-mark-knopfler-interview/

I was particularly intrigued by MK being described as "dressed like an elegant renaissance gentleman.."     :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #519 on: March 24, 2019, 01:23:25 PM »
That interview is from Tuesday... I wonder how is that last night was the press night and there is nothing in the press about yesterday, except this?

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2019/mar/24/local-hero-review-oil-movie-musical-bill-forsyth-mark-knopfler

I am expecting MK pictures from the "premiere" but not yet...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 01:30:23 PM by jbaent »

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #521 on: March 24, 2019, 03:05:10 PM »
LOCAL HERO BY BILL FORSYTH & DAVID GREIG - MY THOUGHTS

MARK GORMAN

It was announced that Local Hero could be a possibility while I was still on the Royal Lyceum board three years ago and it seemed like a wild dream, almost a fantasy really; that one of Scotland’s most iconic movies could be turned into a stage play, and a musical at that.

Even though it rates only a solid, but unspectacular 7.4 on IMDB, it has been taken to Scotland’s heart.  I only watched it myself, a month ago, in anticipation of this production finally, miraculously landing.  But I wasn’t overly taken with the movie I have to say.  It has dated and I found too many of the performances pretty easy to criticise and that let  it down. So I approached last night nervously.

There was no need to worry.  This is a smash hit in the making.  The buzz around The Lyceum was palpable and the after show party felt like the West End had dropped into Edinburgh.

The Director is John Crowley for God’s sake – he of the Oscar-nominated movie Brooklyn: the man who has just directed the most anticipated movie (for me anyway) of 2019; The Goldfinch.

The set designer is Scott Pask – Book of Mormon – heard of that?

And, of course, the music was developed and expanded by none other than Mark Knopfler himself.

The cast is not a Take The High Road reunion, indeed only two of the 15 have ever appeared on The Lyceum stage, and have Girl From The North Country, Kinky Boots, Our Ladies of Perpetual Succour, Les Mis, This House, Wolf Hall , School of Rock and Sweeney Todd, amongst many others, littering their CVs.

This is the real deal.  This is monumental ambition for a 600 seat theatre in  Scotland. (Albeit the Old Vic are co-producers).

So, onto a couple of old upturned fish boxes sidle Matthew Pigeon, as Gordon the hotel-owner and chief negotiator, and Ownie (Scott Ainslie) to conclude Ownie’s accountancy requirements with change from a fiver.  If only Gordon had change.

It’s a quiet start that does not prepare you for the technical wizardry that underpins the first showstopper of the night, “A Barrel of Crude”.  And there’s a laugh right from the off. Light humour that litters an excellent script.

Through the opening half hour the lilting lament that formed the musical motif of the movie slips and slides into earshot before finally emerging fully formed.  It’s beautiful.

The story is pretty much as per the movie, but the morals feels somehow even more upfront as we chart the greed of the locals over the environmental consequences of their signing away their home village of Ferness (You can’t eat scenery though).

The big bad American oilman (played impeccably by Damian Humbley) is a great foil to Katrina Bryan’s Stella and Matthew Pigeon’s Gordon in a love triangle that doesn’t really quite come off (that would be my only real criticism of the show).

I particularly liked the movement in this (directed by Lucy Hind).  It’s a play about contrasting scales (big skies, small villages, small-mindedness and big ambitions) and what she skilfully does is play with that scale through subtle but lovely choreography to bridge scenes and dramatise that juxtaposition of scales.  It’s really nice to see great movement that’s NOT trying to be John Tiffany: again.

The dance movement is slick and light of touch.  With a big mixed-age, mixed-size cast that’s no mean feat.

The band is top notch and excellently MD’d by Phil Bateman on keys.

Although the score is inspired mainly by the Celtic canon it succeeds much more than Come From Away (that I saw on Monday) which too draws from that canon – but does it to death.  Here we have ballads, tangos, a bit of rock and roll and, yes, that plaintive motif.

The light and shade in this production’s musical content, for me, frankly blows the multi Olivier-nominated Come From Away out of the water.  Indeed, on every level this is a much more enjoyable evening of theatre – so roll on the Oliviers 2020.

The comparisons can’t fail be made – both are Celtic musicals set in tiny communities, in wildernesses where big America comes to visit.

The Local Hero ensemble is universally excellent, the direction superb but the showstopper of it all is the scenic design.  You’ll need to see it to appreciate it.  I ain’t gonna do it any justice here.  All I’ll say is this.  You haven’t seen the aurora borealis until you’ve seen Local Hero at The Lyceum.

Bravo Lyceum.  Bravo.

The show richly deserves both its standing ovation and the Sold Out boards you’ll find in Grindlay Street for the next six weeks.

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #523 on: March 24, 2019, 03:48:42 PM »
That Scotsman review sounds like very nearly 5 stars except for things which can still be worked on to streamline the running time a bit. It's also much the most complimentary about MK's music - the other two paper reviews both suggest a shortage of show-stoppers. I wonder if MK felt that he'd long since written the tune we were all going to come away humming. Anyway, I'm very pleased to be heading up to Edinburgh on Tuesday to see a couple of performances, one in poor seats, and one in good ones.

If there's a Times review tomorrow, I'll post it here.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #524 on: March 25, 2019, 09:19:50 AM »
What I find curious is that there is not any video in youtube or elsewhere.

I know that this is theatre but, they are Mark Knopfler songs anyway!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 40 queries.