Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Local Hero - musical  (Read 168755 times)

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Local Hero - musical
« Reply #555 on: March 27, 2019, 07:46:43 PM »
There’s getting to be a pattern to these reviews, isn’t there!
There is only so much reviews one can read ....

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #556 on: March 28, 2019, 12:06:24 AM »
Well I’m not going to bore Pottel with a full review, not tonight anyway. Just back from the show, and it’s terrific. Full of fun, some good numbers, great staging, the last ten minutes maybe needs a little more work. But it’s basically a huge success - and the audience, clearly not all dedicated MK fans, seemed to enjoy it hugely. I’m not regretting that I’ll be going back for a second dose on Friday (although what I thought were awful seats for tonight bought through mk.com actually turned out to be pretty good). I may write more about the music later, but not tonight. From what I’ve seen, and the audience reaction, I shouldn’t think there’s any doubt about the Old Vic transfer.

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #557 on: March 28, 2019, 11:51:13 AM »
Well I’m not going to bore Pottel with a full review, not tonight anyway. Just back from the show, and it’s terrific. Full of fun, some good numbers, great staging, the last ten minutes maybe needs a little more work. But it’s basically a huge success - and the audience, clearly not all dedicated MK fans, seemed to enjoy it hugely. I’m not regretting that I’ll be going back for a second dose on Friday (although what I thought were awful seats for tonight bought through mk.com actually turned out to be pretty good). I may write more about the music later, but not tonight. From what I’ve seen, and the audience reaction, I shouldn’t think there’s any doubt about the Old Vic transfer.

I'm glad you like it!

I do have doubts about the Old Vic transfer, specially because this story is very Scottish, and based in a Scottish film based in Scotland. Edinburgh is the perfect place for it, but I have my doubts about London. I guess that London audience would be more MK fans and people who knows the film that general theatre public...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #558 on: March 28, 2019, 12:22:46 PM »
I do have doubts about the Old Vic transfer, specially because this story is very Scottish, and based in a Scottish film based in Scotland. Edinburgh is the perfect place for it, but I have my doubts about London. I guess that London audience would be more MK fans and people who knows the film that general theatre public...

You said it very well. It is not a bombastic Hollywood-style musical, but more a gentle, charming and quiet kind of a typically Scottish musical.
It fits perfectly in Edinburgh.
I think they know (and said so) they have to "adapt" it not only to the bigger stage of the Old Vic but also to a non-Scottish more global London theatre audience.

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #559 on: March 28, 2019, 12:29:01 PM »

You said it very well. It is not a bombastic Hollywood-style musical, but more a gentle, charming and quiet kind of a typically Scottish musical.
I think they know (and said so) they have to "adapt" it not only to the bigger stage of the Old Vic but also to a non-Scottish more global London theater audience.

I have hopes that in order to attract audiences, MK would have more involvement with the London run, maybe playing with the band, or with his band, so they can announce it as a musical in which MK will play... I'm not sure if that would be something he would like to do but definitely it will work to make it a success...

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #560 on: March 28, 2019, 12:44:36 PM »

I think they know (and said so) they have to "adapt" it not only to the bigger stage of the Old Vic but also to a non-Scottish more global London theater audience.

I have hopes that in order to attract audiences, MK would have more involvement with the London run, maybe playing with the band, or with his band, so they can announce it as a musical in which MK will play... I'm not sure if that would be something he would like to do but definitely it will work to make it a success...

MK playing in the musical band would be more than stars falling from the heavens, but unfortunatelly more than 100% unrealistic.
Even your wonderful idea of a little more  visible involvement of MK for me is unfortunatelly out of the question.
He stays in the background and out of the limelight as much as he possibly can.
My phantasy only goes as far as a posthumous release of the demos...
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:49:37 PM by skydiver »

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #561 on: March 28, 2019, 12:55:53 PM »
I know it's unrealistic. It's just a hope  ;D

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #562 on: March 28, 2019, 03:46:25 PM »
Sorry, guys, but I think you’re way off beam.

Firstly, the Old Vic has been attacked as a venue because it’s not in Shaftesbury Avenue. Actually, it’s one of the most distinguished theatres in Britain, and for most, no harder to reach than the West End. It’s two minutes from Waterloo station.

Secondly, the suggestion that a London audience won’t relate to a whimsical Scottish story. Nonsense! The film was successful internationally, and the themes of conservation, what matters in life etc etc are universal.

Thirdly, MK's name does still have some pulling power, and there will be plenty of people interested in hearing 19 new songs by him. I’m sure he won’t perform, but I don’t think he needs to. The show would benefit from a little tightening up (as most reviews have suggested), but that would be true wherever it’s on. Only minor stuff.

I’m a born and bred Londoner and have travelled to Edinburgh to see the show. I’m sure there will be plenty of people who want to see it in London. It’s a success!

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2019, 04:32:28 PM »
But you traveled to Edinburg because you are a MK fan. Same as me, traveling from Spain.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2019, 05:19:19 PM »
But you traveled to Edinburg because you are a MK fan. Same as me, traveling from Spain.

Undeniably true. But it’s not just the music that make this a successful show.

And on the music, rather like MK, I’m not a huge musical fan in general. There are exceptions like West Side Story, a work of genius by Bernstein and Sondheim, and I quite like Guys and Dolls. But it’s not really my genre (I am an opera fan, but that’s a bit outside the scope here.) I’m also not great at rating MK's songs on a single listen - my favourites usually take several hearings to emerge (Dance Floor is a recent exception - have loved it from the first time.) So I’m not sure I’m a reliable guide to how good his music for Local Hero is, given that I’ve only heard it once. It’s clear that there are one or two real crowd pleasers, led by 'Filthy Dirty Rich' and it's interesting that that song isn’t brought back for a reprise, which must have been tempting. Typically restrained behaviour by MK, I should say. There are several solo songs which have a bit of a MK solo album feel to them, but which I certainly need to hear several more times - 19 is a lot to take in at one go! And there are one or two which feel a bit rum-it-tum 'this is the sort of song you get in a musical', and I suspect one of these might get cut if they decide to do a bit of streamlining. It would be wrong to say that the show is full of showstoppers, but not many original musicals are (as opposed to the Abba, or Queen's greatest hits type of drivel jukebox musical). But the music seems absolutely good enough to make a full contribution to the success of the show.

That’s first thoughts. I may have another go after second viewing on Friday.

OnlineKris-b

• Camerado
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2019, 05:53:52 PM »

Undeniably true. But it’s not just the music that make this a successful show.

And on the music, rather like MK, I’m not a huge musical fan in general. There are exceptions like West Side Story, a work of genius by Bernstein and Sondheim, and I quite like Guys and Dolls. But it’s not really my genre (I am an opera fan, but that’s a bit outside the scope here.) I’m also not great at rating MK's songs on a single listen - my favourites usually take several hearings to emerge (Dance Floor is a recent exception - have loved it from the first time.) So I’m not sure I’m a reliable guide to how good his music for Local Hero is, given that I’ve only heard it once. It’s clear that there are one or two real crowd pleasers, led by 'Filthy Dirty Rich' and it's interesting that that song isn’t brought back for a reprise, which must have been tempting. Typically restrained behaviour by MK, I should say. There are several solo songs which have a bit of a MK solo album feel to them, but which I certainly need to hear several more times - 19 is a lot to take in at one go! And there are one or two which feel a bit rum-it-tum 'this is the sort of song you get in a musical', and I suspect one of these might get cut if they decide to do a bit of streamlining. It would be wrong to say that the show is full of showstoppers, but not many original musicals are (as opposed to the Abba, or Queen's greatest hits type of drivel jukebox musical). But the music seems absolutely good enough to make a full contribution to the success of the show.

That’s first thoughts. I may have another go after second viewing on Friday.
[/quote
Thank you for your great review. I will come from Germany next week and am really excited to see it. And I am not a great musical fan either.

Onlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #566 on: March 28, 2019, 06:17:42 PM »
Goon525... An arsenal supporter?  :lol

I'm a gunner since Bergkamp joined the team!

I know the old Vic is very prestigious but I mentioned the West end as a more popular place for having successful plays and musicals.

I'm very much looking forward to next week and attend the musical in person.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2019, 08:16:38 PM »
A Gooner since birth, more meaningfully since 1968.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
« Reply #568 on: March 30, 2019, 12:04:25 AM »
Just back from second time round. Neither I nor my wife have any regrets about seeing it twice, enjoyed it just as much this time. My admiration for several of the songs increased (that’s the second listen for you); there are maybe one or two that aren’t quite up to much, but even they help the story or characterisation along. That’s a reason they’ll be hard to judge by anyone who hasn’t seen the show. Incidentally, I’m enough of a hypocrite that even though I wouldn’t tape it myself, I will have further listens if someone else makes it available.

Small correction: I said MK didn’t reprise Filthy Dirty Rich - it actually comes back in a very small way briefly in a later song. But his customary restraint is evident everywhere, and the big tune we all love is held back for the cast taking their bows at the end. One other thing: the musical is played continuously, without any opportunity to applaud individual numbers, so it’s really hard to gauge audience response to songs. Applause at the end is very very warm, and takes place to the rhythm of Going Home.

I hope those sceptics who don’t think this will work outside Scotland will buy me a pint when it opens on Broadway. As I said before, it’s terrific!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #569 on: March 30, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
Just back from second time round. Neither I nor my wife have any regrets about seeing it twice, enjoyed it just as much this time. My admiration for several of the songs increased (that’s the second listen for you); there are maybe one or two that aren’t quite up to much, but even they help the story or characterisation along. That’s a reason they’ll be hard to judge by anyone who hasn’t seen the show. Incidentally, I’m enough of a hypocrite that even though I wouldn’t tape it myself, I will have further listens if someone else makes it available.

Small correction: I said MK didn’t reprise Filthy Dirty Rich - it actually comes back in a very small way briefly in a later song. But his customary restraint is evident everywhere, and the big tune we all love is held back for the cast taking their bows at the end. One other thing: the musical is played continuously, without any opportunity to applaud individual numbers, so it’s really hard to gauge audience response to songs. Applause at the end is very very warm, and takes place to the rhythm of Going Home.

I hope those sceptics who don’t think this will work outside Scotland will buy me a pint when it opens on Broadway. As I said before, it’s terrific!

Thank you, goon 525 for both of your reviews.   I'm looking forward very much to being at the show on the 10th.   I hope a video of one of the performances will be made eventually - maybe from The Old Vic!
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 38 queries.