Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: DireStraits.com  (Read 23267 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: DireStraits.com
« Reply #75 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:19 AM »

I'm curious about this website, though. Why now? So late? Who is the initiator? John?

The DS site has been hijacked many years ago and the people who run the MK official site did their best to legally recover the domain and use it to represent the band, but as they were busy with the last MK tour and other stuff (they run the official sites of many many many other artists as well) they didn't had time to start it. The site has been just with the mailing list form for many many times, waiting to do something else. Now the site started, just with the shop, but will have many other sections soon.

Yes, it's late, but better late than never!

I'm thinking more about the whole idea behind it. Surely Mark doesn't care, as far as we know, but since Mark and John are Dire Straits on paper, Mark must have given his approval. Could there be a financial motive on John's part?

Mark may not care about DS, but surely he cares about the money :lol

But seriously, it was strange that brand like DS doesn't have a website, nowadays even mediocre bloggers like myself have a website, and if you're selfish enough... Some bloggers even sell their own merchandise, but Dire Straits? One of the biggest bands in the world? Surely this is a move in the right direction, I'm looking forward to when Mark will realise there's was hardly any proper live shows released in the last decade or more :lol

Sometimes the lack of something is so obvious that you don't need to be Albert Einstein to see it...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #76 on: October 23, 2020, 10:07:32 AM »

I'm curious about this website, though. Why now? So late? Who is the initiator? John?

The DS site has been hijacked many years ago and the people who run the MK official site did their best to legally recover the domain and use it to represent the band, but as they were busy with the last MK tour and other stuff (they run the official sites of many many many other artists as well) they didn't had time to start it. The site has been just with the mailing list form for many many times, waiting to do something else. Now the site started, just with the shop, but will have many other sections soon.

I'm thinking more about the whole idea behind it. Surely Mark doesn't care, as far as we know, but since Mark and John are Dire Straits on paper, Mark must have given his approval. Could there be a financial motive on John's part?

No.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #77 on: October 23, 2020, 10:20:41 AM »

No.

And this you know how?

Offlinethe visitor

• Camerado
« Reply #78 on: October 23, 2020, 10:28:55 AM »
The site, and associated PR campaign on social media is in my view instigated by the record company / rights owner; i.e the entity which will benefit from increased streaming or downloads from digital content.  It's all about tyring to generate revenue from the back catalogue, and remind people it is there.

Tom

hunter

« Reply #79 on: October 23, 2020, 10:44:10 AM »
The site, and associated PR campaign on social media is in my view instigated by the record company / rights owner; i.e the entity which will benefit from increased streaming or downloads from digital content.  It's all about tyring to generate revenue from the back catalogue, and remind people it is there.

Tom

Sounds credible. Can any of this happen without a go-ahead from Mark and John, though?

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2020, 03:25:54 PM »
The site isn't made to generate revenues for the artist, at least, initially. The idea behind it, is to generate enough money to be self-sustainable. Management pays money to this company to maintain social media representation, but sales in those sites will maintain and improve the content of that web. And the content there, will be on behalf of the fan, because they are trying to listen to the fan base. And it has management and Mark's approval.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2020, 05:48:57 PM »
https://www.direstraits.com/shop/

Fair play to them, the merch looks cool.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2020, 07:56:30 PM »
The site isn't made to generate revenues for the artist, at least, initially. The idea behind it, is to generate enough money to be self-sustainable. Management pays money to this company to maintain social media representation, but sales in those sites will maintain and improve the content of that web. And the content there, will be on behalf of the fan, because they are trying to listen to the fan base. And it has management and Mark's approval.

Thanks, Binone, for the details.
The last sentence says it all. Mark cares about DS and I didn`t expect anything else from him.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2020, 09:31:58 PM »
I'm gonna get the On Every Street beanie.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #84 on: October 23, 2020, 11:12:45 PM »
I'm gonna get the On Every Street beanie.
Im so tempted by some of the stuff.

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #85 on: October 27, 2020, 04:43:25 PM »
Bought me an Alchemy Beanie.

Winter's coming.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #86 on: October 27, 2020, 06:20:38 PM »

Winter's coming.

Protects the ageing guitar player from the winter cold 😉

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #87 on: October 27, 2020, 07:51:47 PM »

Winter's coming.

Protects the ageing guitar player from the winter cold 😉

Aye, 38 and getting worse.  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
« Reply #88 on: October 28, 2020, 07:21:45 AM »
Putting all my hope now to the Latvian Postal Service... :think

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #89 on: October 28, 2020, 01:06:32 PM »

No.

And this you know how?
just know it is true and we do know. let'S see where this takes us
but some people are working very hard behind the scene to make this thing far more sexy
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 43 queries.