Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Change in personnel for On every Street  (Read 7199 times)

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
Re: Change in personnel for On every Street
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2018, 06:34:38 PM »
I wonder if Mark attended Eric's son's funeral. I keep saying they are closer than we might think but probably even more back then, after years touring together. I don't know how Eric managed to push through that.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2018, 08:21:00 PM »
Mark was on fire during the OES tour, that was scary! Technically superb yet subtle and sensitive.

Regarding Chris Whitten he's too square to my taste, at least playing DS songs. I don't know if Terry would suit that tour but I'd like to have seen that. Phil Palmer, on the other hand, is a master guitarist. Jack is great but nothing compared to Phil. I don't think it was about his energetic performance on stage (being polite here) as he was older and wouldn't mind to hold back his stamina if Mark asked nicely (polite again). I guess Mark just wanted a better guitar player. In the end, at least in my opinion, drums didn't work but guitar did.

All that being said, that band felt like an orchestra only that in orchestras some musicians only play when it's strictly necessary. I'm saying that because I think both Chris White and Paul Franklin were overused. There were songs that would've sounded better without Chris (Sultans, Private Investigations and Solid Rock) and others without Paul or with less Paul (Brothers in Arms, On Every Street, Walk of Life, The Bug...). 

Did I just say less Paul?  :lol

I loved the Soprano Sax on PI. Took it to another level, really. CW really seemed stiff when he played, and didn't allow for a real relaxed groove. Having DC on percussion did seem to help, though. I seem to recall a french documentary made doing the tour, where JI commented in the limo after the gig that where was "a lot of tension" in the drums. Interesting.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2018, 09:15:43 PM »
I wonder if Mark attended Eric's son's funeral. I keep saying they are closer than we might think but probably even more back then, after years touring together. I don't know how Eric managed to push through that.

I don't know about the funeral but... They are close, yes, they live in a distance of 5 walking minutes when Eric is in London
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2018, 09:44:09 PM »

I don't know about the funeral but... They are close, yes, they live in a distance of 5 walking minutes when Eric is in London

Watched "Life in 12 Bars"  and MK wasn't mentioned. MK was briefly mentioned in ECs autobiography. So, I wonder how close they really are these days.

Onlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:00 PM »
Mark was on fire during the OES tour, that was scary! Technically superb yet subtle and sensitive.

Regarding Chris Whitten he's too square to my taste, at least playing DS songs. I don't know if Terry would suit that tour but I'd like to have seen that. Phil Palmer, on the other hand, is a master guitarist. Jack is great but nothing compared to Phil. I don't think it was about his energetic performance on stage (being polite here) as he was older and wouldn't mind to hold back his stamina if Mark asked nicely (polite again). I guess Mark just wanted a better guitar player. In the end, at least in my opinion, drums didn't work but guitar did.

All that being said, that band felt like an orchestra only that in orchestras some musicians only play when it's strictly necessary. I'm saying that because I think both Chris White and Paul Franklin were overused. There were songs that would've sounded better without Chris (Sultans, Private Investigations and Solid Rock) and others without Paul or with less Paul (Brothers in Arms, On Every Street, Walk of Life, The Bug...). 

Did I just say less Paul?  :lol

I loved the Soprano Sax on PI. Took it to another level, really. CW really seemed stiff when he played, and didn't allow for a real relaxed groove. Having DC on percussion did seem to help, though. I seem to recall a french documentary made doing the tour, where JI commented in the limo after the gig that where was "a lot of tension" in the drums. Interesting.

I also like the sax on Private Investigations a lot. It was a great addition.

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2018, 02:11:49 AM »
I always wondered what the OES tour would be like with the BIA tour, with Terry and Jack. I always imagined how it was the repercussion at the time when the DS came back with a new format, as was seen by the old fans ...

I think in terms of impact it would be even stronger, because from the perspective of DS fans, Terry was already a legend within the band, as well as Alan Clark (both members of Alchmy), Jack had all that charisma, but that was not something taken into account by MK at the time, who clearly wanted something technically grandiose and called musicians like Phil, Paul, Danny and Chris Whitten, won technique but lost in feeling and spontaneity, stayed away from the band's classic sound in the years 80, light years from the sound of the original 77/79 formation. However, as was said, OES was the most virtuoso moment of MK guitar, sublime moments, the weak point is the drums, that although Chris Whitten is a good drummer, he fit much better on the sound of Paul Mccartney than in the sonority of DS, has left things very mechanical, millimetrically calculated, Phil has something of that too. There remained the same excesses of sax that already existed on the BIA tour, however, more balanced and better crafted. The protagonism of Paul was something inevitable, to have the best pedal steel in the world and not take full advantage of it would be something seen as waste. All of Chris White's appearances with the sax were better than during the BIA tour, he evolved remarkably.

Looking at all this, I clearly notice how the band's sound is linked to the band members, with each change of limb, a new sound texture, what DS did in the 80's was something incredible, in the late 70's was something, very singlualr, genuine, unique in terms of style and sound, 91/92 is the sum of all the processes (77 / 79-80 / 88, MK-EC, MK-Chet Atkins and NHB). more time to analyze, appreciate and digest, even today it is shocking the sound structure of the band and its last tour-OES tour!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:14:50 AM by Brunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits) »
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2018, 02:28:14 AM »
Planet of New Orleans is the song that best defines the climax of the OES tour in terms of the level of sophistication there were band had achieved.I felt the absence My Parties, it would be a moment where Mark could play with a Fender Stratocaster,além da peformance de Chris White, embelezaria ainda mais a turnê,  it would be a song that could come soon after On Every Street, in place of Two Young Lovers, which I think did not fit well into the setlist. Your and Your Friend was strong, very engaging and seductive, Mark's voice, Pensa's sounds, Steel guitar, and Alan's hammond organ, it's as if JJ Calle become the leader of some super group!  :think
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 02:31:20 AM by Brunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits) »
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 10:43:58 PM »
Watched "Life in 12 Bars"  and MK wasn't mentioned. MK was briefly mentioned in ECs autobiography. So, I wonder how close they really are these days.

Closely personal means you can be left out from a book or film...
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2018, 12:01:40 AM »

Exactly. That doesn’t mean anything. Mark’s a very private person and Eric respects it.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineDon70

• Banned
  • Guitar George
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2018, 12:32:25 AM »

Yes, it could be this, as well. I guess we'll never really know how close they are these days.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 38 queries.