Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Improving On Every Street?  (Read 5189 times)

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
Improving On Every Street?
« on: March 23, 2018, 10:34:42 AM »
I've been listening a lot to OES the last few days. 

Given that How Long and Long highway have certain similarities I just thought how Long Highway would have worked as final song on OES.

Personally I think it would have been a much stronger finisher for the album and actually it could have been another DS semi classic if they had done this and added it as a permentant fixture on the OES setlists...

Another interesting thought would be if Kingdom Come had been chosen over The Bug or My Parties for instance. I admit the lyrics are quite corny on Kingdom Come, but that can be said for My Parties and The Bug and Heavy Fuel too. 

Personally I think these two changes would have improved the album quite a bit. Any thoughts on this?

Love Expresso

Re: Improving On Every Street?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
As "Long Highway" is an absolute masterpiece, it would have been a perfect closing song on every abum in general. Can't absolutely not see any similarities with How Long though apart from the "long". As the OES lyrics generally are quite cynical, How Long with it's direct heart warming appeal fits very well with it's conciliatory note. Long Highway would have made a perfect closer for STP in my opinion, but One More Matinee is great competitor, as it is a masterpiece.

I always hated Kingdom Come and a b-side is absolutely what it is. Also the recording sounds not too well crafted in my opinion. Crap lyrics, badly sung. Dimensions far away from The Bug or My Parties which is another masterpiece. Those were the times when MK produced masterpieces in a row.

LE
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 11:42:55 AM by Love Expresso »

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2018, 11:53:14 AM »
I do agree that Long Highway, as it was played live, it would had been a wonderful end for the record, but then... where do you put How Long in the record?

There is always an ending song in each album, and that's one of the weirdest things in "Tracker", there are two ending songs... "Silver Eagle" has that ending mood that would had made it perfect but, as there was also "Wherever I Go" also with that ending mood, the sax and Ruth Moody, MK had to be Beryl between them to made them fit...

The bonus tracks from OES, Millionaire Blues and Kingdom Come, I agree, Kingdom doesn't fit, it has a kind of funny lyrics, in the "Skydiver" or "Pyroman" kind of character. As bonus track is ok. Millionaire blues, i like it and would had been a good pair with "My Parties" as the character of the song is quite the similar.

"Think I Love you too much", it would had been terrific in the record!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2018, 12:26:42 PM »
Long Highway should have been a permanent fixture in the OES setlist. Very strange that it was rejected by MK

Love Expresso

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2018, 12:47:40 PM »
The song that disturbs the album flow the most for me is Ticket To Heaven. Never liked it really although I guess it is a good song. But those strings are too much for me.

LE

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 12:48:56 PM »
Long Highway should have been a permanent fixture in the OES setlist. Very strange that it was rejected by MK

I read many times that when they were working in "On the night", MK wanted to add something new to the record, so I guess he intended to include "I Think I love you too much" or "Long highway", the only unreleased DS songs that were played on that tour, but the record company didn't want that, theu want a kind of souvenir record, and that's what we got...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2018, 01:17:58 PM »
Long Highway and I Think I Love You too Much are incredible songs, it's a shame they didn't make the cut. I agree with LE on Ticket to Heaven, that one could've been dropped in order to make room for one of those two. How to fit the other one in? Well, I'll probably be outvoted here but I wouldn't mind discarding Calling Elvis.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2018, 04:40:27 PM »
The song that disturbs the album flow the most for me is Ticket To Heaven. Never liked it really although I guess it is a good song. But those strings are too much for me.

LE

It is funny how we like different songs for different reasons. In my view Ticket to Heaven is one of the most beautiful songs Mark has written, and the strings are gorgeous, conducted and arranged by a certain George Martin.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2018, 04:44:06 PM »

LE

It is funny how we like different songs for different reasons. In my view Ticket to Heaven is one of the most beautiful songs Mark has written, and the strings are gorgeous, conducted and arranged by a certain George Martin.

I agree it's beautiful. I just don't think it suits the album as a whole and Long Highway or I Think I Love You too Much would be a better fit.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
I guess that is true, it would have suited Golden Heart better, as that is more a love album, and for me On Every Street is more a blues album.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2018, 07:09:48 PM »
the strings are gorgeous, conducted and arranged by a certain George Martin.

...and a certain Alan Clark  ;)

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2018, 10:11:11 PM »
The Long Highway is such a fantastic song that it would make a lot of albums better imho. Too bad the STP studio version didn't capture it as well as could be done. When included on OES it would ideally replace the worst song on the album (and one I always skip) which is Heavy Fuel. Must admit I could live without the pair Ticket To Heaven and My Parties as well, although straighforward non-original simple blues tunes such as I Think I Love You Too Much and Milionaire Blues are not up to album standard as well. Kingdom Come would not even make it as b-side material considering MK quality standard if you ask me.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2018, 10:18:49 PM by mschaap »

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2018, 06:19:17 PM »
When I put recently all my DS/MK CDs on my Sony audio player, I sorted all files with B-isdes per album
Therefore, when I listen to an album, I have all songs + B-sides in a row, so OES has got Millionaire blues and Kingdom Come, and STP has got long highway (and Camerado and let's see you, and extended WII and extended STP)
So the question to know if these songs should have replaced other songs is irrelevant to me for now
of course at the time of their release, when I had to listen to the CD, and then put the maxi on the player, etc...I would have prefered songs in places for others, but now that I have all of them avalaible at the same time in the same "album-folder" so to say, I don't even ask myself what song would be better or not.
For many years, I was into the "album" way to listen to music with a start and an end. But nowadays, as far as I am concerned, the way to listen to music is most of the time on bike or in the car, and I see it more as as a catalog of songs, altough sorted by "album-folders", and when in the morning I choose to listen to Get lucky for example, I already know that I will be listen to early bird and Time in the sun, just after pulling down the ride, homeboy and good as gold, right after Piper to the end, so no mater if they were "bonus tracks" at the time, they are part of the album in my head now, as much as "regular" tracks

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2018, 02:18:56 PM »
I simply love Millionaire blues, Kingdom Come and I Think I Love You too Much. Corny lyrics or not. I would say the first too are meant more ironic than corny ;)

Cheers Peter

OfflineStiglar

• Local Hero
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 12:58:10 PM »
In my opinion, I think OES would be far better with I think I love you too much instead of Heavy Fuel and Long Highway instead of Ticket to Heaven, I would love to throw Millionaire blues in there too! How long is probably my favourite song on the album, so simple but so effective,

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 43 queries.