Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: best versions OES tour  (Read 4843 times)

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
Re: best versions OES tour
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 04:50:42 AM »

Then I added Portobello Belle found on YT which is the mix between the MFN comp version and the audience version (that comes from 20/06/83, thanks to Brunno), as I thought that if it had been released in 84, Mark would have likely chose this version as he chose it in 88.

JF, thank you for service, I'm glad that my research and discovery have made sense to you!

In 2009, I published this article on On the night- Analogies on On The Night
Maybe it could be useful to you, check it out!  :wave

http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/2009/05/analogias-sobre-o-on-night.html
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

Offlinexardas

• Local Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2018, 09:08:39 AM »
thanks to everyone who sent me link to so far away song.
amazing comunity..

Offlineschmonka

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2018, 09:32:12 AM »

Then I added Portobello Belle found on YT which is the mix between the MFN comp version and the audience version (that comes from 20/06/83, thanks to Brunno), as I thought that if it had been released in 84, Mark would have likely chose this version as he chose it in 88.

JF, thank you for service, I'm glad that my research and discovery have made sense to you!

http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/2009/05/analogias-sobre-o-on-night.html

The link is in Spanish??
Michael Mcintyre - 2009 - Newport - "Ruff as Fuck"

OfflineBrunno Nunes- (Universo Dire Straits)

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2018, 11:46:30 AM »
No, in Portuguese, use the online translate:  :wave
https://translate.google.com
Visit my Blog- Universo dire Straits (Since 2007) http://universodirestraits.blogspot.com.br/

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2018, 12:28:38 PM »

woow ! great !  :thumbsup :thumbsup
the Google translate is not very good (funny to read songs titles in french !  ;D) but I understood the global meaning
indeed you are right, it would be a real gem to be able to watch/listen to this shows, all recorded. Even if the OES tour is my less favorite, I would be glad to see and listen to proper versions of I think I love you too much or when it comes to you (I'm not very found of TOL during the OES tour, so to me, it's not in my want-list)

thanks for these infos :clap :wave
anyway, even if I had all these shows avaliable in soundboard quality, which dates would I choose for the songs not featuring on the OTN album ? :think
for Alchemy or RLRR we have the logic off a one day gig, but here no, so all in all, the ultmate live album for the OES tour should be a best of anyway
so n the end, I'll stick with my current playlist

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2018, 02:15:42 PM »
My aim was to do playlists with "all" songs fo each album, because I am tired to have all songs "dispersed" on albums, maxis, singles, comps, hard drives, etc...
When I listen to an album, I want to hear "all songs from that era", I mean all songs from the sessions

for studios albums, that was quite easy :
I put B sides just after the last songs, and some demos when avalaible. same for extended versions.
For example, I put the WDYTYG demo from MFN comp at the end of Communique album, just after follow me home, or I put early demos and sultans single with Eastbound train on my first album playlist. It's like I had a deluxe version of the first album :P
Same for the making movies song or the solid rock demo, in the MM album playlist
I put the WII and STP extended versions in the STP album playlist in place of "normal" versions; therefore, when I listen to STP album, I have all full music recorded at the time avalaible
etc...
ok easy for studio albums

but for live albums....

For Alchemy, I added industrial disease, Expresso love, and twisting by the pool from the 23/07/83 bootleg. I found it logic as the official album is made from one gig (except the drum brek at the end of slid rock).
And I added it never rains from sheffield (the best sounding version) because it was the only song played on the LOG tour not featuring in the alchemy concert.
So, it makes a consistent setlist reaagrding the tour and I have all songs, either officially released ones or ones from the same evening, or the only other one from he tour.

For Real Live Roadrunning, the same :
I merged songs from the DVD and from he CD (so with all that matters, even if it was not played at the LA gig), I added Michelaneglo from the LA gig (audience boot), and then I added donkeytown (best sounding version I found) because it was the only other song from the tour not played at the gig. Thus I have a consistent setlist which is a good report from the tour imho.

But for OTN, too difficult to do the same :
1) the official album merges several venues and we don't know which ones on which songs for sure. So, even if we had songs from all gigs used, difficult to chose which song to put on the setlist
2) there are too many "bonus" songs from the tour, and when I started to merge them in my playlist it made an unconsistent setlist, and it was not necessarily fun to listen to all of them in a row (which is the aim of course : having fun to listen to the playlist... ::))

so I decided to keep it simple :
I merged songs from the album and from the Encores Maxi single (making the DVD's setlist) and added Sultans, TR and TYL from wobburn abbey (the best sounding imho, because On every planet lacks of reverb and audience sound, imho).
Thus, I have a consistent playslit, with a complete setlist representative of what was played at that time  (around april-may-june 92) and fullier as the official album.

For Live at the BBC, we don't know exactly whic gig it was (except it was in july 78 ?) and too uch "bonus" songs in 78, so I let it like that

For the SOS comp bonus disc, I used the Swinging golden hearts bootleg as it is the same gig

Besides that, I will buy another SD card and put bootlegs on it. (well may I will have to buy more than one card... ;D)
But generally I just pick some songs, and rarely listen to a whole gig, so maybe a live best-of comp for each tour would be the best option for me, but it's so hard to choose among all these versions

There is a soundboard recording of the entire Emmylou show. Do you not have it?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 04:28:02 PM »
I don't have it either. Where is it? Can't find it on the Spanish Tracker. It is the Verona show according to oneverybootleg.nl
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 05:33:16 PM »
Correct. I have it, can upload it somewhere if it's not widely available. Excellent FM recording.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2018, 05:50:45 PM »
Yes I have the Veronna recording, but in order to be the closest to the LA gig that was used almost entirely for the RLRR CD/DVD, I chose the Michelangelo versin from this night to stick "logical", even if it is an audience recording
The same for Alchemy : there are surely better recordings from the tour in term of sound quality, but I chose songs from the same night to fit the album spirit, except for Portobello Belle because an official release exists, and of course also it never rains because it wasn't played that night

yes you can call me weird, I am a bit monomaniac, and I tried to create the "best" playlist with all stuff avalaible, but of course it's subjective

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 38 queries.