Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tommy Mandel on DS  (Read 3111 times)

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
Tommy Mandel on DS
« on: April 15, 2018, 08:49:40 PM »
From Facebook a few years back:

I learned so much in Dire Straits, about dynamics and subtle playing. That was the first time, also, that I was lucky enough to go to Australia, New Zealand, and Japan. (Since then, I've been there many times, but not lately!)
John Ilsley was a great gentleman, very tall, and always concerned that the quality of Dire Straits be protected, and that everyone was happy and able to do their best job. As the bassist and 2nd singer, he was the only other original member of the Straits that was still in the group with Mark.
Terry Williams was the new drummer: we were the new guys, and we spent a lot of time together. His father had a band that Bonnie Tyler used to sing for, in the old days, in Wales! He loved to play simple "Rockpile" style drums, and was amazing whatever he played, but for this tour, Mark wanted him to play in a style that was more dramatic. He did it! He was a great guy too.
Hal Lindes had been an American before moving to England and joining the group two or three years before I did. When I joined with the group, Hal was married to Mary, a lovely lady, who used to be married to Peter Frampton. All the girls loved Hal, because he was so young and cute. He played very very well too, of course! Some years later, he called and we met up in NYC and did some music there.
Everyone could play great, but my favorite musician in the group would have to be Alan Clark, the keyboard player who had put so many parts on the Love Over Gold CD, that they needed a 2nd guy in the band, to make sure that all, or most of the parts could be played live, and that was ME! Alan has a really great touch on the piano, and the organ, and the synthesizer, everything he touches, actually. He's played with Eric Clapton too. He came to see our show when Bryan Adams played his hometown, Newcastle On Tyne, and it was great to see him. He was always superfriendly, in a big brotherly way to me, and I was happy to take directions from him, because, well he was so talented, and also so nice. Funny too. He was kind of like James Bond, but not quite as tall or dark. He was saving up for an Audi during that tour, and I know he got it afterwards, because DS was pretty generous.
Mel Collins played the sax on that tour, and he'd played with Tears for Fears, and had some good stories to tell about them. He's a really good sax player. He had to give Mark Knopfler sax lessons after soundchecks, because Mark really liked the saxophone - he thought it was such an expressive instrument.
Joop de Korte, another cool dude, played percussion. I ran into him in NYC a few years back. He's from Holland, but lives in the States now, I think.
Peter Granger, the front-of-house sound mixer, was an English gentleman, he almost sounded like a professor when he talked. He tragically passed away in a heart-breaking way. His tiny daughter strayed out into the street, and he dove after her, and pushed her back to safety, but he wasn't as lucky, and the car ended his life. He and his American born wife, Nancy made me a lovely dinner in November, when we were doing the many rehearsals in Greenwich, London, which were necessary to put such a large show together.
Pete Brewis was Mark's roadie. He had the saddest grey eyes, but he sure knew his guitars!
Steve Flood was the boffin - he knew all about the electrical magic that powered our instruments and lights. He always had a smile on his face, like he knew something that you didn't. Which was probably true!
Charles Herrington was the cool lighting designer (the lights were very important to Mark Knopfler that tour, probably always...but the atmosphere they created was a big part of that show, with long songs such as Telegraph Road, and mysterious ones like Private Investigation.) I think Charles moved to Hoboken, NJ, USA a while back.
Ron Eves was my keyboard tech (and Alan Clark's too) - he's a rocket scientist that pretended to be a comedian. Or maybe a comedian who was also a rocket scientist as a hobby. He had so much to do, with the Synclavier, 2 Prophets, a Yamaha GS-1, a Hammond B3 organ, a Korg CX3 clonewheel organ, and somehow, it always worked!
Paul Cummings was the Road Manager, or Tour Manager, I forget exactly what his title was, but he was friendly, civilized, efficient, effective and I liked him a lot!
We stayed at fine hotels, drank good wine, saw lovely and sometimes exotic sights, and played some pretty good music. I got to meet Lady Di and Prince Charles. I'll tell you about that some other time, but it was fun. Duran Duran was there that night, but I'm not a huge DD fan. Except the rhythm guitarist could really move cool while he played! AndyTaylor, i think he was.
The manager, Ed Bicknell, was super funny too. He started out drumming in Mark Knopfler's band before Dire Straits! One of the Promoter's Agents, Paul Crockford, later on, got me backstage at a Roger Waters show in NYC, and I got to meet Eric Clapton again there. Thanks, Paul!
Mick Jones, from Foreigner, not my friend of the same name from Clash, has a brother Kevin, who went on to be the main Synthesizer Programmer for Nile Rogers. When we toured and recorded Alchemy, Kevin had some hard chores to do, but he always got em done, and never once blew his cool.
We had to stick to our parts - there wasn't one note that was spontaneous. That's what I kind of didn't understand about that group, but with 7 musicians, and really classy music to recreate, I guess that was Mark Knopfler's decision. As necessary as that must have been, it took some of the fun out of what was still, pretty much, a dream come true. But you know, when you're having the dream, when you're IN it, you don't always know it's a dream.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
Re: Tommy Mandel on DS
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:31:29 AM »
"dire straits were pretty generous"
so not cheapskates as they are called in another thread somewhere on here?
thnx for this, very insightful!
notice he does not talk about mark, as he does about every single other person?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:51:00 AM »
Weird that he was more or less cut from the Alchemy video...
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:52:04 AM »
"dire straits were pretty generous"
so not cheapskates as they are called in another thread somewhere on here?
thnx for this, very insightful!
notice he does not talk about mark, as he does about every single other person?

The old adage goes: if you don't have anything nice to say about someone, don't say anything at all.  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2018, 12:37:27 PM »

yes and he's not featuring on end credits!

Love Expresso

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 06:23:48 PM »

Maybe because he "danced" around behind his keyboard riser like a lunatic?

LE

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 08:32:25 AM »
I like people who dance and move on stage. Good to put a bit of effort in. :)

Sent from my Tab2A7-20F using Tapatalk

"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 09:53:12 AM »
He also danced a lot when he was in Brian Adams band.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 11:18:47 AM »
The oldfield book says he was a funny guy, an entertainer making always jokes

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 38 queries.