Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tommy Emmanuel - Buxton - MK Comments  (Read 3623 times)

OfflineMillionaire Blues

• Camerado
Tommy Emmanuel - Buxton - MK Comments
« on: May 18, 2018, 10:33:28 AM »
Had the pleasure of watching Tommy in Buxton last night and safe to say he is truly phenomenal.

He spoke briefly about MK and I summarise below:

Tommy wrote to MK asking if he would like to play on his new album, Mark replied he would but he never plays of other people's song so it would have to be one of his own.

Tommy replied saying that he loved everything that MK had ever written and was sure he would like his new song even though he hadn't heard it yet.

MK played the song for TE in the studio and TE worked out his part. The recording, mixing and mastering of the song took less than one hour. They even had chance for a coffee and some food during this hour!!

MK told TE that the song was about a car and not a person but that TE should be prepared for people to think that the song was about a person, even though it WAS just about a car.

TE said that MK was extremely busy and was working on three "film projects"

Great concert, great guy!!

MB

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Tommy Emmanuel - Buxton - MK Comments
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 02:44:54 PM »
he never plays of other people's song so it would have to be one of his own.

:hmm ???

does it mean henceforth ? because if I am not mistaken, Mark has played on other people's songs, hasn't he ?  ;)

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 03:09:53 PM »

does it mean henceforth ? because if I am not mistaken, Mark has played on other people's songs, hasn't he ?  ;)

Probably meant to be that MK doesn't cover other artists' songs on yet another artists' record.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2021, 07:46:34 AM »

Here from 34:52 Tommy made some funny comments on working with MK. Ridiculous, indeed!

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2021, 07:50:16 AM »

Probably meant to be that MK doesn't cover other artists' songs on yet another artists' record.

How about "What A Wonderful World" on Chris Botti's record? But of course, that's not a song, it's a masterpiece so Mark can play it :lol

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 08:18:48 AM »

How about "What A Wonderful World" on Chris Botti's record? But of course, that's not a song, it's a masterpiece so Mark can play it :lol

MK has played/covered many other artists songs/tunes on other peoples albums.....
Atlantis etc
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2021, 08:35:08 AM »

This story makes me love Tommy even more, they way he tells it is just lovely, whereas Mark hmmm...
" adding water to an instant song" sums it up perfectly. Mark obviously wasn't keen on playing with Tommy for obvious, guitar- playing-related reasons and chose a song that had already gone into the bin and give him some sort of pope-like audience. Very sad story. Just imagine what could have been emerged from this if he had had the same energy and spirit  as in 1996 when he did Gravy Train with Sonny Landreth...

LE
« Last Edit: December 20, 2021, 08:37:34 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2021, 09:11:50 AM »

This story makes me love Tommy even more, they way he tells it is just lovely, whereas Mark hmmm...
" adding water to an instant song" sums it up perfectly. Mark obviously wasn't keen on playing with Tommy for obvious, guitar- playing-related reasons and chose a song that had already gone into the bin and give him some sort of pope-like audience. Very sad story. Just imagine what could have been emerged from this if he had had the same energy and spirit  as in 1996 when he did Gravy Train with Sonny Landreth...

LE

Yeah, it has this feeling of being rushed a little, and this "don't play other people's songs" line is also suspicious, as if Tommy is just another guest artist passing by and not a Chet Atkins' friend. But, on the other hand, Tommy got what he wanted: Mark to play on a song on his album, so it's 1 song anyway. Mark did everything he could and did it flawlessly as usual. So it's a win-win for everybody. And the song itself doesn't even pretend to be a masterpiece, it's a fun little Newman inspired tune about a car.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2021, 09:56:11 AM »
I am sure Tommy was paraphrasing, as Mark has clearly covered other peoples songs lot of times.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2021, 11:52:22 AM »
I am sure Tommy was paraphrasing, as Mark has clearly covered other peoples songs lot of times.

He also exaggerated a bit since the studio is not that secret at all and mentioned on Google Maps, also it's not a brick wall that opens but a normal garage door. Okay, normal fancy and expensive garage door, but still a door :lol

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2021, 12:23:01 PM »
It does feel kind of secret when you go there. It's down a quiet lane, no signs or anything, you could walk down that street and have no idea that The Rolling Stones were recording an album in there.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2021, 12:41:56 PM »
not particularly fond of that song. also i find his voice hard to listen to (or the song does not match his voice)
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2021, 01:07:41 PM »

He also exaggerated a bit since the studio is not that secret at all and mentioned on Google Maps, also it's not a brick wall that opens but a normal garage door. Okay, normal fancy and expensive garage door, but still a door :lol

Having been down British Grove, the studio is quite discreet, but there is not a brick wall opening - definitely an exaggeration.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2021, 01:18:45 PM »
We saw Tommy Emmanuel a couple of years ago at Transatlantic Sessions and although he is obviously an excellent guitarist, we were quite underwhelmed with him on that occasion.  He played a few instrumentals and mainly rushed around the stage strumming.   He would have been much better sitting down to show his talent as a guitarist.  It was a shame really, because we were looking forward to something special.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2021, 01:56:44 PM »

Having been down British Grove, the studio is quite discreet, but there is not a brick wall opening - definitely an exaggeration.

In one of my visits to British Grove, someone riding a bike stopped next to me and my friends and told me:

Do you know who lives there??? Mark Knopfler!!!

We pretended a big surprise face and say Bye to him, then when he was far enough, we started laughing.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.