Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Gibson on Local Hero Wild Theme Montserrat ´97  (Read 8805 times)

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Gibson on Local Hero Wild Theme Montserrat ´97
« on: May 19, 2018, 06:58:51 PM »

Isn't it rare that MK played this tune with Gibson instead of Fender?  And how do you enjoy this performance?  To me, I need the clean sound rather than the dirty delay effects on Gibson.  And MK missed some notes, especially during the outros, luckily Guy helped quite a lot with those notes.  And that was the reason why it was omitted from the official releases? Any reason why MK use this guitar on this track?  Lack of time to switch a guitar or that was the only guitar he brought that day?  A mistery to me for years.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
Re: Gibson on Local Hero Wild Theme Montserrat ´97
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2018, 07:37:51 PM »
Opinions differ...
For me nothing can compare with the emotional sound of the Les Paul.
That's why this is my favorite version of Wild Theme, why Vaison 96 is my favorite version of Going Home, and why, unlike most people, my favorite version of BIA is not Mandela but Wembley 85.Lazyness, to me, was replacing both the Fender Strat and the Les Paul with one-size-fits-all Pensa in the OES tour. Not that I have anything against the Pensa, it is a wonderful guitar of its own, but it is no substitute, neither for the clean sound of the Strat, not the emotional sound of the Les Paul. I am glad Mark has realized that when going solo. I wish he would bring back the heavy sound of the schecter strat on TR, too...

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2018, 10:58:39 PM »
around 95-97, Mark was totally found of his Les Paul and he used it on almost all songs he could, even the ones that had typical clean sound before, like The bug for example, and of course Going Home.
So I guess that in 97 when he chose to play Wild theme at Montserrat he deliberatly used the Les Paul, like he did for Going home in 96, as the intro of both tunes is the same.
During the STP promo tour, he also played Wild theme on the Les paul (bonus track on the STP maxi), and he had the 61 strat for WII, so it was obvisouly his choice , not the need to bring only one guitar

don't forget that going home on the studio version has two distinctive guitar sounds : the clean acoustic arpeggios for the intro, and the driven sound (on the shecter it seems, as seen in the clip) for the solo

during 83-86 years, he chose to play it on the strat with a clean tone to "privilege" the intro part sound, but thus the solo sound was not similar to the studio version
in 96, he cose to "privilege" the solo sound, and then it was the intro sound that wasn't the same as in studio
he could have used a stompbox to change sound, but Mark rarely used one (except in 2005 for boom like that, and 2015 too I think)

Herlock, just to be more accurate, the les Paul on the BIA tour is not the same as in solo years
In 85-86 it was a reissue model, while since 96 they are real vintage ones from 58 and 59
so the les Paul on BIA in Wembley is not the one on Wild Theme at Montserrat

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2018, 11:12:40 PM »
There's no doubt in my mind that, to me anyway, Wild Theme is a Strat song.  The LP is just all wrong.  Same goes for The Bug and CE, maybe others.  It just seemed he was pleased with his new toy in the mid '90s that he used it on songs that didn't really suit it.

CE sounded much better with the Pensa-Suhr and a proper pedal steel and Danny's extra percussion giving the song a less contrived sound as it did in '96 with Guy's synths.  Mark's playing was a lot more fluid in the solos too.

It is a little strange that he would want to use the LP on such a high profile event though.  The STP promo tour is fair enough but for such an event one would think he'd have brought the right equipment!

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2018, 11:24:28 PM »
JF, thanks for the detailed analysis of various Les Paul guitars. Still, whatever the Les Paul, it really sound emotional to me. I find it better suited for BIA than the Pensa...
Dmg, whatever it is, Going Home on the Les Paul in 1996 just sounds fantastic to me :)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2018, 12:00:49 AM »
There's no doubt in my mind that, to me anyway, Wild Theme is a Strat song.

the original version of Wild theme is the nylon Chet Atkins Gibson guitar
it became a strat song later...on the OES tour

and the original version of Going Home (whose the intro is played for wild theme on tour) is an acoustic guitar, maybe an ovation (?)
it became a strat song on the LOG tour

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2018, 12:07:06 AM »
The Monsterrat version is the Best Wild Theme of all times! What mistakes?

The 96 versions of Going Home with Les Paul are by far the best imo. All BIAs with Les Pauls of all variants beat the Pensa ones. Pensa worked for Tunnel of love, Planet of New orleans, you and your friend, Vic And Ray and telegraph road, but never for Brothers in arms.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2018, 12:09:01 AM »
I never knew Mark played The Bug with the LP.

In my opinion both Wild Theme and The Bug are Strat tunes.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2018, 12:10:38 AM »
about Calling Elvis I like the 96 versions for :
- the Les Paul (I never liked the pensa, except at Mandela)
- Richard's  and Glenn's licks at the end
- the way it was linked to je suis desolé, and a total surprise to me at the gig
- changing chords on the Vaison concert, reminding Lions outro on the OL tour
- the way how Mark plays at the end with the subtle volume progression while during the OES tour, it was harsh

but I don't like Guy's synths trying to imitate electric guitar riff at the end : horrible ! :smack
and I don't get it : why play it ? :disbelief you already have Richard's and Glenn's licks, which are so tastefull !

and I like very much the studio version; it has this JJ cale flavour, a little bit of travelin' light groove

the 91-92 versions ? well too much show off for my taste

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2018, 12:13:05 AM »
I never knew Mark played The Bug with the LP.

for the video :

for the sound :

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2018, 12:16:47 AM »

The 96 versions of Going Home with Les Paul are by far the best imo. All BIAs with Les Pauls of all variants beat the Pensa ones. Pensa worked for Tunnel of love, Planet of New orleans, you and your friend, Vic And Ray and telegraph road, but never for Brothers in arms.

my favorite Wild theme version is the studio one, with "symphonic" ambiance; played at my wedding

I like BIA on the TRD bonus disc (Toronto 2001) and I like very much the studio version (yes for many songs I ove studio versions), because on live versions, Mark sometimes plays too much agressive on this song, and I prefer the subtle playing on the studio version

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2018, 08:48:34 AM »

Some notes that were originally played on guitar in studio version or early live version, now were played by Guy.   In my opinion, MK missed those notes in that live show (3:31 for example), that was a pity, maybe because he was not satisfied enough to play those those with Gibson, so he let Guy play instead.

and from 2001, he didn't carry on using gibson on that song, but back to fender.

My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2018, 11:13:22 AM »

Some notes that were originally played on guitar in studio version or early live version, now were played by Guy.   In my opinion, MK missed those notes in that live show (3:31 for example), that was a pity, maybe because he was not satisfied enough to play those those with Gibson, so he let Guy play instead.

and from 2001, he didn't carry on using gibson on that song, but back to fender.

He already went back to the staat a couple of years before 2001 during the NHB gigs, probably around 1998 that he started to play it again on the staat. My explanation is that the Gibson was the only guitar he brought to the show but hey, it's only a guess. I have to check my bootlegs for the NHB gigs, when he played the song and which guitar.
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2018, 12:32:37 PM »

Yes, now I see what you mean. I noticed the «missed» notes, but have just thought it was a musical decission based on the guitar he chose to use (distorted Gibson vs clean Strat). I don’t miss the «missing» notes in this perticular performance, but love the longer distorted tones.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2018, 01:20:47 PM »
There's no doubt in my mind that, to me anyway, Wild Theme is a Strat song.

the original version of Wild theme is the nylon Chet Atkins Gibson guitar
it became a strat song later...on the OES tour

Of course, and I love that version.  I suppose I meant the live versions.  The Strat fills the auditorium in a way I don't think an an acoustic could.  I never really thought about the studio version tbh as it sounds so different.    Different arrangement too though.

My favourite versions are the studio one and the ones live with the NHB '97 and '98.  Totally different but totally brilliant!
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 01:23:17 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 36 queries.