Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Dortmund 1980  (Read 6957 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Dortmund 1980
« on: July 22, 2018, 09:52:33 PM »
I watched a concert from Dortmund today on December 19, 1980. Lions are slowly developing to gain momentum at the end. Beautiful version. News for John Lennon. Of course, the echoes of Private Investigations. And the fourth hand in The Carousel Waltz :)  (?) A great concert.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
Re: Dortmund 1980
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
I watched a concert from Dortmund today on December 19, 1980. Lions are slowly developing to gain momentum at the end. Beautiful version. News for John Lennon. Of course, the echoes of Private Investigations. And the fourth hand in The Carousel Waltz :)  (?) A great concert.

the fourth hand is Ron Eve's one. He played that chord during all the OL tour

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 01:45:08 PM »
I wish this great concert had been released in HD as a bonus to Alchemy.
Fantastic versions of Lions (love the change of rythm) and most importantly News (changed from little nice tune to epic masterpiece with the Hammond Organ - love the reference to John Lenon).
Great version of DTTW too, I love the teasing of the audience between the intro and the main song. Although I tend to prefer the stripped down '79 versions (BBC Arena uptempo one is fab), keyboard is a poor subtitute for David's guitar groove IMHO, this is where you can hear that David was useful...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2018, 02:44:53 PM »

the fourth hand is Ron Eve's one. He played that chord during all the OL tour

Ron Eve. I forgot about him. He was also a technical during on every street tour. Thanks JF:)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 02:48:10 PM by Robson »
Clear as the day

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2018, 02:47:26 PM »
Fantastic versions of Lions (love the change of rythm) and most importantly News (changed from little nice tune to epic masterpiece with the Hammond Organ - love the reference to John Lenon).
Great version of DTTW too, I love the teasing of the audience between the intro and the main song. Although I tend to prefer the stripped down '79 versions (BBC Arena uptempo one is fab), keyboard is a poor subtitute for David's guitar groove IMHO, this is where you can hear that David was useful...

:thumbsup

It is true. Down To The Waterline - great
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2018, 02:55:56 PM »

I love OL arrangements, but the Dortmund is not my fav gig of the tour, because :
- it lacks many other good songs from that tour : single handed sailor, in the gallery, Wher do you think you're going, Telegraph road....
- I don't like Mark's behaviour during this concert. too much "show off" while he makes some mistakes
- I think News is even more elaborate at the end of the tour (e.g. Werchter), I mean more "epic" than Dortmund. thats 's why I prefer versions from the end of the tour. BTW, the song was also dedicated to Marley after may 81
- tunnel of love is not very good. it's the version featuring on live at BBC, and you can hear at the end that he is out of tune. Versions from Milano, Wiesbaden or Werchter are better imho

if I want to listen to a 80-81 gig, I listen to :
- Wiesbaden (fantastic where do you think you're going)
- Emerald city for songs that were dropped after the 1st leg of the tour (gallery, sailor...), and for the story before Les Boys
- Werchter for my favorite Angel of mercy, and DTTW where you can hear clearly the piano solo, I like it a lot
- San Remo for good sounding Telegraph Road

but surely not Dortmund at first choice  :)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2018, 03:02:55 PM »
For sure the concert is strangely short.
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2018, 03:08:55 PM »

Not strangely, it was a festival with more artists to play before and after.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2018, 03:14:15 PM »
- I don't like Mark's behaviour during this concert. too much "show off" while he makes some mistakes
- I think News is even more elaborate at the end of the tour (e.g. Werchter), I mean more "epic" than Dortmund. thats 's why I prefer versions from the end of the tour. BTW, the song was also dedicated to Marley after may 81
- tunnel of love is not very good. it's the version featuring on live at BBC, and you can hear at the end that he is out of tune. Versions from Milano, Wiesbaden or Werchter are better imho

if I want to listen to a 80-81 gig, I listen to :
- Wiesbaden (fantastic where do you think you're going)
- Emerald city for songs that were dropped after the 1st leg of the tour (gallery, sailor...), and for the story before Les Boys
- Werchter for my favorite Angel of mercy, and DTTW where you can hear clearly the piano solo, I like it a lot
- San Remo for good sounding Telegraph Road

but surely not Dortmund at first choice  :)
"Show off" ?! Did not notice that much... I found him pretty emotional with John Lenon...
My favourite is Paris 17.06.1981. Not only because I'm french, but because it is the most professional audience recording we have, by a taper who knew what is was doing, with very good harware. It sounds fantastic.
News in pretty similar though between Dortmund and Paris, what's the difference ?
As for TOL, well, it always felt flat at the end, Mark's tone was too weak... This was much improved in 82/83. But this is not a Dortmund-specific problem ?

I love Dortmund for a simple reason: it is the only one available in video for Lions and News (besides Paris 18.06.81 which features News, but the PQ is atrocious).

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2018, 03:18:18 PM »
For DDTW, yes, the piano solo (only present in the last 2 weeks concert, not even there yet in Wiesbaden) adds to it. But still I prefer David's guitar to Hal's on it, that's why I still prefer BBC :)

As for WDYTYG, it depends on my mood. In 80/81 the synth additions are atrocious and don't bring much. Also, the end solo is slower than in '79, I prefer it fast; but in 80/81 the synth mid solo is followed by an extra screaming guitar solo, and THAT is great :) Oh well, I think I like both the one on the BBC documentary (12.79) and Paris '81 :)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2018, 03:19:37 PM »

Not strangely, it was a festival with more artists to play before and after.

Yes. As I watched yesterday, I did not think it was a festival. I wanted more! :)
Clear as the day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »
Werchter 81 concert broadcast is longer.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2018, 03:25:47 PM »
Werchter 81 concert broadcast is longer.

I have it. I will repeat it today :)
Clear as the day

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2018, 06:14:51 PM »
"Show off" ?! Did not notice that much... I found him pretty emotional with John Lenon...

I mean for example on the DTTW intro, "il se la joue un peu trop" (sorry for other forumers can't find the english expression)

News in pretty similar though between Dortmund and Paris, what's the difference ?

Maybe I'm wrong, but in Werchter I feel more "emphasis", and maybe more transition chords, but maybe my memory fails, can't check right now

As for TOL, well, it always felt flat at the end, Mark's tone was too weak... This was much improved in 82/83. But this is not a Dortmund-specific problem ?

yes the tone is not Dortmund-specific, but the out of tune is for sure !

I love Dortmund for a simple reason: it is the only one available in video for Lions and News (besides Paris 18.06.81 which features News, but the PQ is atrocious).

yes of course for the video, but I must admit that when I saw a video 1, 2 or rarely 3 times, it's enough for me. I can listen to a recording bizillion of times when I like it, but watching a video asks more disponibility so I don't have much the time to sit down and watch a concert, while listening to it in the car, on bike, in the subway, the bus, by foot, etc....I can do it every day. So having a video is not that important to me. There was time when I would prefer to have ANIL or the complete RLRR on CD. Now I transfered them onto files and I listen to them on my player and I enjoy them more than wtaching them on TV.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 38 queries.