Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Remarkable Facebook post from David Knopfler about Single Handed Sailor  (Read 10194 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Remarkable Facebook post from David Knopfler about Single Handed Sailor
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 01:39:38 PM »
Great post by David. Seems genuine and heartfelt.

As for the conflict between the brothers, what exactly is the heart of the it? David claims he's entitled to more money from his contribution on the first albums, Mark disagrees, and until that's settled, they really have nothing further to talk about?

Also there is the MK first guitar chapter. MK gave MK first guitar to David and David about ten years ago tried to sell it in a place like Christie's, and MK got to know about it and bought his own guitar, we don't know if directly or through lawyers.

In this case, MK was entitled to buy his own guitar back at auction, rather than it go to someone else.  Nothing strange about that.  I would probably do the same if I had given something I treasured to someone and they put it up for auction.   ;)

The strange thing is that you give you first guitar to your younger brother and never care about it, never asked for the guitar to be back to you, until you see it's in an auction. I can understand that you see your first guitar in an auction and having money, you choose to pay for it and get it back to you but you never cared about it before... well, it's MK's right to do whatever he wants, of course.

Obviously DK didn't care about it either, if he put it up for auction.   Maybe he needed the money. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2018, 01:57:17 PM »

As for the conflict between the brothers, what exactly is the heart of the it? David claims he's entitled to more money from his contribution on the first albums, Mark disagrees, and until that's settled, they really have nothing further to talk about?

Also there is the MK first guitar chapter. MK gave MK first guitar to David and David about ten years ago tried to sell it in a place like Christie's, and MK got to know about it and bought his own guitar, we don't know if directly or through lawyers.

In this case, MK was entitled to buy his own guitar back at auction, rather than it go to someone else.  Nothing strange about that.  I would probably do the same if I had given something I treasured to someone and they put it up for auction.   ;)

The strange thing is that you give you first guitar to your younger brother and never care about it, never asked for the guitar to be back to you, until you see it's in an auction. I can understand that you see your first guitar in an auction and having money, you choose to pay for it and get it back to you but you never cared about it before... well, it's MK's right to do whatever he wants, of course.

Obviously DK didn't care about it either, if he put it up for auction.   Maybe he needed the money.

It was just a hoffner, LOL If ithad been a 58 or 59 les paul or one of the olds Fender Stratocasters...  ;D :lol
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2018, 02:02:00 PM »
If it is a question of unpaid royalties, I wonder how much money we are talking about. If the amount is "reasonable", I would, if I were Mark, have just paid the money to David and made peace, or at least tried to offer a reasonable compensation in case the amount was very large. This of course would mean that Mark had been in the wrong all along, and I think he's the kind of guy who'd never admit to that. Too proud. Plus if that kind of information surfaced, it would seriously mar Mark's public image.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2018, 02:09:14 PM »

It was just a hoffner, LOL If ithad been a 58 or 59 les paul or one of the olds Fender Stratocasters...  ;D :lol

Yes, I know it was a Hofner, but maybe it could have made a lot more than it was worth....with its connections!    ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2018, 02:19:40 PM »

Yes, I know it was a Hofner, but maybe it could have made a lot more than it was worth....with its connections!    ;)

in an auction it would had made a lot of money for some collectors... MK's first guitar...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2018, 03:08:42 PM »

As far as I know David needed the money and sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do when you have mouths to feed. Mark probably wanted the guitar back and cared about it but what could he do? He gave it to David, it was David's.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2018, 03:12:40 PM »
Just to make it clear, I strongly disagree with almost everything David says on his facebook in regards to any topic that's not music related but I really admire his recent attitude on his conflict with Mark.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2018, 08:04:47 PM »

Is that the guitar MK showed during a interview where he was asked by John about his favorite guitars?
I believe the first guitar MK brought up was his very first guitar he got from his dad. I remember John saying he never steen the guitar before in all the years he known Mark. The interview is still on youtube, it was a few years back were John did several interviews for i think BBC. One off them with Mark.

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2018, 10:23:08 PM »
Is that the guitar MK showed during a interview where he was asked by John about his favorite guitars?
I believe the first guitar MK brought up was his very first guitar he got from his dad. I remember John saying he never steen the guitar before in all the years he known Mark. The interview is still on youtube, it was a few years back were John did several interviews for i think BBC. One off them with Mark.

it's the guitar seen in the guitar stories documentary, the one with John, and it's the guitar seen on KTGC promo pics

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.032 seconds with 39 queries.