Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (06) Good on you Son  (Read 112696 times)

hunter

Re: (06) Good on you Son ##* Spoiler Lyrics *##
« Reply #435 on: November 12, 2018, 12:44:14 PM »
Now that we have had a chance to listen to all these other songs, how do you like GOYS? Has your opinion changed?

For me the initial surprise and positive reaction has cooled some, and this could become a skipper after some time. I don't in no way think it's a bad song, but it leaves me a little cold compared with the others.

Love Expresso

« Reply #436 on: November 12, 2018, 12:52:14 PM »
A skipper indeed yes. As it turned out after listening to all ten songs in the right order, the first five songs are all skippers to me at the moment ...

LE

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #437 on: November 12, 2018, 12:58:41 PM »
Still a decent song, I listen to it every once in a while after hearing 10/14 songs on the album.

But rate some higher.... One song at a Time one of them

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #438 on: November 12, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
I quite liked it at first listen and still do but there are better ones there. The chorus is a bit of a problem to me, especially its first half, but still quite enjoyable.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #439 on: November 12, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
Now that we have had a chance to listen to all these other songs, how do you like GOYS? Has your opinion changed?

For me the initial surprise and positive reaction has cooled some, and this could become a skipper after some time. I don't in no way think it's a bad song, but it leaves me a little cold compared with the others.

I still love Dancefloor and I don't expect it to become a skipper.  I still like GOYS too, but maybe a skipper after the album is released and there are better songs to enjoy.

Regarding Just a Boy - I disliked it from the moment I heard it, starting with the clunky intro.   I never liked YNWA even when I first heard it in the cinema and then came the Gerry and the Pacemakers version, which was toe-curling.   It's OK for football fans!   Also Donegan and Junkie Doll do nothing for me either, which the song seems to be in the style of.  Then the MK solo really ended all hopes of me liking it at all!    :-\
Goin' into Tow Law....

Love Expresso

« Reply #440 on: November 12, 2018, 01:21:57 PM »
Agree. Although I love the album versions of both songs mentioned.

LE

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #441 on: November 13, 2018, 10:03:48 PM »

I don't know what's happening with the arrangements, but why Danny's playing bongos right from the start? It would be much better to let the guys play the intro and only then to start the bongos. I don't know, why they want to throw all in right away.

Like in One Song At A Time — why on Earth the drums starts right from the intro? It sounds so out of place. If not that, maybe I wouldn't even moan so much about drums in this song, but it's too right-in-your-face.

You can say it's too little of a detail, but it would make a HUGE difference, believe me.

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #442 on: November 14, 2018, 08:15:28 AM »
Yes, I agree.

In the good on you BBC version, maybe was because it fit better to the quartet version for that session, in the other case, maybe we don't have the full songs... Maybe better wait until Friday but I agree, usually it sounds better arranged when drums come later, I do it a lot when playing with friends, I wait until they play some verses and then I start playing drums, first softly and at the next verse with snare. It's always a winning!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #443 on: November 14, 2018, 10:40:27 AM »
when I received the songs, I firts skipped it because I had too much listened to it the week before
But now I find it suits very well the whole continuity. I like very much the variations, changes on the album : tempos, keys, mood...so I listen to all tracks in a row

OfflineWimbleman

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #444 on: November 19, 2018, 01:27:11 PM »
Given that Guy said on his forum that they had worked on this track for a year has anyone made a connection to the horrific massacre by  Stephen Paddock at the Manderlay in LA... which happened in October 2017, around the time MK (according to Guy) started to write the song. A whirring thread, the quick and the dead, designer blinds above LA...

I know MK likes to write character songs and (just to be clear) that I am NOT for a second suggesting this song is about that horrific evil where so many people tragically lost their lives at a country music festival. I just wonder if it was somehow playing on MK's mind and he dealt with it by writing an upbeat and positive song set in LA? Just a thought. I recall at the time being very upset about yet another gun massacre in America myself. I came up with some awful piece of heavily depressed music on guitar... just about 50 seconds, which I'd posted on facebook before quickly deleting. Sometimes we need music to deal with the evils and horrors of this world.

I still can't figure out the connection between the hummingbird and the "whirring thread". Or perhaps the dart is coming from the eyes of the character in the song as he suddenly notices the hummingbird...? The whirring thread could suggest he is on a forum spinning his mouse wheel and scrolling through the thread... a sort of whirring sound? Perhaps he is on a mango website trying to source cheaper mangos online?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:24:07 PM by Wimbleman »

Love Expresso

« Reply #445 on: November 19, 2018, 01:38:54 PM »
I always thought that thread was the flying path of the bird... as he is so small and fast  and you can hardly follow with your eyes ...

LE

OfflineWimbleman

• Guitar George
« Reply #446 on: November 19, 2018, 01:47:59 PM »
I always thought that thread was the flying path of the bird... as he is so small and fast  and you can hardly follow with your eyes ...

LE

I hadn't thought of it like that. Doesn't quite work for me though. (Edit to add: oh... i see what you mean, the wing-flapping and whirring flight path of the tiny little bird being so fast it is like a squiggly and random little piece of thread. Interesting.)
I still think though that perhaps the thread could be a bird feeder hanging from his lemon tree suspended from a very thin thread which is spinning as the darting bird feeds? Interesting that the whirring sound is externalised from the apartment of the character in the song. There are other references to sound and sounds within the songs on the album. 'When You Leave', for example. Anyway... the hummingbird is out by his screendoor. I also like to think the thread could be a thread such as this on an internet forum? The whirring of mouse wheels as people try to elucidate the exact meaning? Haha! At any rate, it is a very interesting opening lyric. Perhaps the producer the central character is going to meet is... himself. That old thing about us being the producers, directors and actors of our own lives.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 02:14:50 PM by Wimbleman »

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #447 on: November 19, 2018, 02:11:30 PM »
Given that Guy said on his forum that they had worked on this track for a year has anyone made a connection to the horrific massacre by  Stephen Paddock at the Manderlay in LA... a whirring thread, the quick and the dead, designer blinds above LA...

I know MK likes to write character songs and (just to be clear) not for a second am I suggesting this song is about that horrific evil where so many people tragically lost their lives at a country music festival. I just wonder if it was somehow playing on MK's mind and he dealt with it by writing an upbeat and positive song set in LA? Just a thought.

Don't get that connection at all to be honest but you never know!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #448 on: November 19, 2018, 02:37:37 PM »
This thread is 30 pages long already and I haven't read it all but I'll be surprised if it hasn't been noticed this song is about Woody Strode.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflineWimbleman

• Guitar George
« Reply #449 on: November 19, 2018, 02:41:54 PM »
This thread is 30 pages long already and I haven't read it all but I'll be surprised if it hasn't been noticed this song is about Woody Strode.

Well... we can at least be sure the song isn't about Woody Woodpecker! Because he wasn't a hummingbird! Hahaa!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 46 queries.