Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) One Song at a Time  (Read 64952 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: (10) One Song at a Time
« Reply #90 on: November 10, 2018, 02:14:38 AM »
The intro reminds me It Never Rains a bit. This is how it should've sound, without this happy dance beat in a serious song. I'm out, didn't make it through the song again and probably never will. Thank you, goodnight, now it's time to go sleep.

OfflineNeville Sherman

• Camerado
« Reply #91 on: November 10, 2018, 06:45:30 AM »
Hi Anybody - great song! Any chance anyone send me the PM? Thanks heaps.

Christmas arrives on Friday.

Neville S

Offlineshangri la 1

• Founder
  • Juliet
  • Hi all and welcome to A.M.I.T.
    • AMIT TV
« Reply #92 on: November 10, 2018, 08:12:56 AM »
My pick of the 4 so far. Be great in lossless! I think I'll have the outro on autopilot for a few days

2ND Last verse seems to follow on from the Terminal of tribute To,with the spray he gave tribute bands:
"Or any more poor old fakers
Trying to dance in my old shoes"
 ;) :thumbsup

Love Expresso

« Reply #93 on: November 10, 2018, 08:28:49 AM »
Thinking about the lyrics a lot. It seems it is indeed about the cover-band thing .. while he was picking his way (out of poverty in Deptford days if you like), they don't care about his amount of work and just steal his production. The poor old fakers are asociated by him with mutineers who make the main part of a spectacle with their executions. A certain bitterness sure enough. I find it very remarkable that he mentions The Pig, which seems to be a Hotel in New Forest, where he indeed lives?
Then, while they try to make a buck with selling 20.000 tickets online, he no longer cares and goes over and goes on, he is long out of their sight while they steal his old "gold", he has long developed to America with the transatlantic blues... and the folkies are featured in the music at that part. Love it.

London, Bristol and Liverpool were the main slaving ports. Slaves were transported from there into the Caribbean and the Americas. Of course we know that the Blues thing started here, music coming from Africa to the US... that what he referred to .. the story from the ways music takes, that famous where the Delta meets the Tyne quote. It seems he is using this to differenciate simple stealing of music from influencal ways music takes.. that's for me the best way to describe the jumps in time that are pretty new for him in these lyrics.

Very very personal. Great and approbiate for the title track. Plus that Down The Road Wherever sounds so inbelievably geat..

LE
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:38:09 AM by Love Expresso »

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #94 on: November 10, 2018, 08:44:18 AM »
Thinking about the lyrics a lot. It seems it is indeed about the cover-band thing .. while he was picking his way (out of poverty in Deptford days if you like), they don't care about his amount of work and just steal his production. The poor old fakers are asociated by him with mutineers who make the main part of a spectacle with their executions. A certain bitterness sure enough. I find it very remarkable that he mentions The Pig, which seems to be a Hotel in New Forest, where he indeed lives?
Then, while they try to make a buck with selling 20.000 tickets online, he no longer cares and goes over and goes on, he is long out of their sight while they steal his old "gold", he has long developed to America with the transatlantic blues... and the folkies are featured in the music at that part. Love it.

London, Bristol and Liverpool were the main slaving ports. Slaves were transported from there into the Caribbean and the Americas. Of course we know that the Blues thing started here, music coming from Africa to the US... that what he referred to .. the story from the ways music takes, that famous where the Delta meets the Tyne quote. It seems he is using this to differenciate simple stealing of music from influencal ways music takes.. that's for me the best way to describe the jumps in time that are pretty new for him in these lyrics.

Very very personal. Great and approbiate for the title track. Plus that Down The Road Wherever sounds so inbelievably geat..

LE
I agree  :thumbsup

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #95 on: November 10, 2018, 08:49:39 AM »

LE

Haha, well spotted LE, 'The Pig' country hotel is not far away at all from a certain person's residence!!!!

Like the Chet Atkins similarities too with 'Picking his way out of poverty' & yes indeed the 'tribute' act comparisons too... Fabulous song!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 08:52:12 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

hunter

« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2018, 09:03:06 AM »
I agree with LE's interpretation here. Goes to show how personal Mark takes the whole tribute issue.

I really like how much more personal Mark is getting with his last two albums.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2018, 10:39:59 AM »
I think he mixes old days (when they executed prisoners for show at the Execution Dock in London) with new days and concerts.

1879 is not a misprint.

The thing of note here is that the last hanging that took place at execution Dock was on the 16th December 1830....

The condemned were paraded across London Bridge and past the Tower of London from either Marshalsea or Newgate prisons .
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:43:56 AM by Knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2018, 10:43:27 AM »
I think he mixes old days (when they executed prisoners for show at the Execution Dock in London) with new days and concerts.

1879 is not a misprint.

The thing of note here is that the last hanging that took place at execution Dock was on the 16th December 1830....

I also noted that. Sometimes it's best not to Wiki song lyrics.  ;D
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

OfflineDarling Pretty

• Lady writer
  • DS Fan since April 1987-Miami Vice episode S02E03
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2018, 10:44:19 AM »
Strongest song so far. Really like it.
Must be done live. And... with flute and whistle.  :think :hmm :lol

Mark opens himself more the older he gets
Love will find a Way

Offlineruipedro

• Local Hero
« Reply #100 on: November 10, 2018, 10:52:32 AM »
Wow!!! what a song!!!! amazing!!!:) :) :)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #101 on: November 10, 2018, 11:02:33 AM »
Very nice song, but the organ is extremely irritating!    Love the outro, though!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineJasper90

• Camerado
« Reply #102 on: November 10, 2018, 11:11:53 AM »
I love this song!! :clap  Also the folk influence works perfect here, the guitar licks around it, just perfect! :). His singing works also great for songs like this, super!  :clap
MK Down the Road Wherever tour :
22.05.2019 Royal Albert Hall London, UK
22.06.2019 Sportpaleis Antwerpen, Belgium
23.06.2019 Ziggo Dome Amsterdam, Netherlands
03.07.2019 St. Peter at Sunset Kelzenholz, Switzerland

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #103 on: November 10, 2018, 12:45:53 PM »
Still my fave out of the 7 so far...

OnlineKris-b

• Lady writer
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2018, 01:01:56 PM »
Still my fave out of the 7 so far...
Mine too, must have listened to it about 50 times now!😀

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 41 queries.