Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) One Song at a Time  (Read 64186 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: (10) One Song at a Time
« Reply #150 on: November 13, 2018, 12:14:51 PM »
In a song that talks about going out from Deptford and his years there, I don't get the part of execution dock, which is(was) very far from Deptford, the 1879 reference, I don't get what that has to do with the rest of lyrics and the Deptford and early DS days...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #151 on: November 13, 2018, 12:25:54 PM »
"The times they may have changed, my friend
Some people stay the same"

This to me seems a key. I guess the song is about not respecting his hard songwriter work, to get out there, One Song At A Time, and maybe he makes a connection with slave trade.. this three citys were the biggest slave ports. The manpower of the slaves was sold to get money from the work others did.
It was a dirty business. Maybe he sees his songs as his "Gold" (Pirates come to steal our gold..), as the result of his hard work and now others, call them "three mutineers" come and want to make money with what's his.
Also traitors were hanged in earlier times.

I also see those slave ports as the beginning from music going ober the atlantic. The Blues music started here. Where the Delta meets the Tyne and when the Blues came back from the US to England etc. The transatlantic blues, mentioned in the last verse.

LE

hunter

« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
The destiny for mutineers (not companions of honour) was death (stuck in a terminal of tribute to). He specifically says "three mutineers". Alan, Chris and Phil?

Love Expresso

« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2018, 12:30:51 PM »
There was a famous hanging of three mutineers from the M.S. Bounty at Execution Block but that was in 1792.

LE

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2018, 01:43:48 PM »
I really fell in love with this song. The beauty of it is that it has both then energy to be a great opener and the emotion to be a great closer. Perfect blend between Border and Piper ! :)
I hope we'll see Danny in the live band... Proof that he is not one of those "poor fakers trying to dance in my old shoes" (ouch !).
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 01:48:07 PM by herlock »

Love Expresso

« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2018, 01:48:25 PM »
It's confirmed that he will be in the band.

LE

OfflineNick14

• Camerado
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2018, 04:53:10 PM »
This is the best song on the album for me and an MK classic. Up with his best.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »
This is the best song on the album for me and an MK classic. Up with his best.

I like it very much too, and growing with every listen.

A favourite.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Love Expresso

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2018, 10:00:20 PM »
Googled a bit about 1879..

From

https://soundofthehound.com/category/history-of-recorded-music/1879/

David E. Hughes was a contemporary of Thomas Edison and Alexander Graham Bell and paddled in the same new technology waters as them. He made significant contributions to radio (he transmitted electromagnetic waves in 1879; 16 years before Marconi but put it to one side in the face of peer scepticism) and telegraph technology (he invented a printing add on that made his fortune).

Hughes also invented the early microphone and in doing so helped set the modern recording industry on it’s way

So for MK maybe this year marks the moment when recording and (happy) microphones and therefore songwriting and -recording, making records, came to life?

LE 

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #159 on: November 17, 2018, 03:56:08 PM »
Number one
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineWailing

• Guitar George
« Reply #160 on: November 18, 2018, 04:34:48 AM »
One of his best. Prefer the early Straits stuff but this one has it all. If this tour is indeed Mark’s swan song I could see this song being an apt choice as a closer. Nail that solo at the end, put down that guitar, give an extended wave, saunter off the stage and let the boys bring it home.

OfflineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #161 on: November 18, 2018, 08:36:33 AM »
What a great song! I have had time to listen the album only two times so far. This is a magnificient song, at the same time happy and a bit sad. Kind of testament from MK.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #162 on: November 18, 2018, 09:37:36 AM »
In a song that talks about going out from Deptford and his years there, I don't get the part of execution dock, which is(was) very far from Deptford, the 1879 reference, I don't get what that has to do with the rest of lyrics and the Deptford and early DS days...

Execution Dock (Now Wapping) was/is only 4 Miles from Deptford (Via the Thames) so I can see why MK includes this as part of this fantastic song especially as there was so much history associated with this place.
Of interest Deptford is full of historic interest too....
Fantastic song!!!
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:38:07 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #163 on: November 18, 2018, 09:46:34 AM »
I think this is most probably what MK is thinking about in the lines:

'A grinning mogul greets the crowd
At Execution Dock
All come to see three mutineers
Turned off at twelve o’clock'

An account from The Gentleman's Magazine, dated 4 February 1796, gives a vivid portrayal of a typical execution at London's Execution Dock.

This morning, a little after ten o'clock, Colley, Cole, and Blanche, the three sailors (Mutineers) convicted of the murder of Captain Little, were brought out of Newgate (Prison), and conveyed in solemn procession to Execution Dock, there to receive the punishment awarded by law. On the cart on which they rode was an elevated stage; on this were seated Colley, the principal instigator in the murder, in the middle, and his two wretched instruments, the Spaniard Blanche, and the Mulatto Cole, on each side of him; and behind, on another seat, two executioners.

Colley seemed in a state resembling that of a man stupidly intoxicated, and scarcely awake, and the two discovered little sensibility on this occasion, nor to the last moment of their existence, did they, as we hear, make any confession. They were turned off about a quarter before twelve in the midst of an immense crowd of spectators.

On the way to the place of execution, they were preceded by the Marshall of the Admiralty in his carriage (Smiling Mogul), the Deputy Marshall, bearing the silver oar, and the two City Marshals on horseback, Sheriff's officers, etc. The whole cavalcade was conducted with great solemnity.

The date 1879 is purely to give the listener the view he is thinking of the past and not a significant date with regards Execution dock. Hangings ceased at the dock in 1830....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 10:22:22 AM by Knopflerfan »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #164 on: November 18, 2018, 10:27:21 AM »
'All the way back to Deptford days
Nights down by The Creek'

A picture of the map showing 'Deptford Creek' in 1746.....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 47 queries.