Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: (10) One Song at a Time  (Read 64127 times)

Love Expresso

Re: (10) One Song at a Time
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2018, 10:42:29 AM »
There was a famous hanging of three mutineers from the M.S. Bounty at Execution Block but that was in 1792.

LE

The were obviously more and many occasions to hang three mutineers at the same time.

I like your Interpretation but have a problem with you saying

The date 1879 is purely to give the listener the view he is thinking of the past and not a significant date with regards Execution dock. Hangings ceased at the dock in 1830....

as that is EXACTLY what MK would never do and what attracts him so much as a songwriter to me. Always accurate, detailed and assignable. I agree however that he chose a typical hanging scenery with the big immense crowd and so on, that it's exemplaric and that it is not important when that hanging was and who was hanged etc. It's about the spectacle, the crowd coming to see mutineers...

So MK being so accurate, the mentioning of that exact date 1879 must have another reason. Not that I insist on being right but my found from some days ago about the first recording done in that year still circulates in my mind ...

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2018, 10:48:25 AM »
There was a famous hanging of three mutineers from the M.S. Bounty at Execution Block but that was in 1792.

LE

The were obviously more and many occasions to hang three mutineers at the same time.

I like your Interpretation but have a problem with you saying

The date 1879 is purely to give the listener the view he is thinking of the past and not a significant date with regards Execution dock. Hangings ceased at the dock in 1830....

as that is EXACTLY what MK would never do and what attracts him so much as a songwriter to me. Always accurate, detailed and assignable. I agree however that he chose a typical hanging scenery with the big immense crowd and so on, that it's exemplaric and that it is not important when that hanging was and who was hanged etc. It's about the spectacle, the crowd coming to see mutineers...

So MK being so accurate, the mentioning of that exact date 1879 must have another reason. Not that I insist on being right but my found from some days ago about the first recording done in that year still circulates in my mind ...

LE

Sorry Chief, but I'm not convinced MK was thinking about any Historic event in 1879, I'm sure it's purely just to literally fit in with the '1979' date of the chorus of course the first recording is a very good call.....
He's pretty damn accurate with what I found this morning with regards the three Mutineers being switched off.....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:37:47 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Love Expresso

« Reply #167 on: November 18, 2018, 11:16:08 AM »
Not convinced yet, I went on researching and found that 1879 was a very interesting year ...

William Denny and Brothers launch the world's first transatlantic steamer to be built of mild steel, the SS Buenos Ayrean, at Dumbarton for Liverpool owners. On 1 December she makes her maiden voyage out of Glasgow for South America.[/i]

So as a foundation and acceletator that new possible traffic connection had to do with the transatlantic blues?

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2018, 11:26:20 AM »
Not convinced yet, I went on researching and found that 1879 was a very interesting year ...

William Denny and Brothers launch the world's first transatlantic steamer to be built of mild steel, the SS Buenos Ayrean, at Dumbarton for Liverpool owners. On 1 December she makes her maiden voyage out of Glasgow for South America.[/i]

So as a foundation and acceletator that new possible traffic connection had to do with the transatlantic blues?

LE

Great stuff, keep those 1879 historic dates a coming LE....
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 03:57:44 PM by Pottel »

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2018, 11:30:25 AM »
So here we go, here from Wiki are the complete notable events in the UK in 1879..... :wave

6 June – William Denny and Brothers launch the world's first ocean-going ship to be built of mild steel, the SS Rotomahana, at Dumbarton.
14 June – Sidney Faithorn Green, an Anglican priest in the Church of England, is tried and convicted for using Ritualist practices.
4 July – the Anglo-Zulu War effectively ends with British victory at the Battle of Ulundi.
16 August – Fulham F.C. founded in London as the Fulham St Andrew's Church Sunday School football club.
19 August – the foundation stone of the fourth Eddystone Lighthouse is laid by The Prince of Wales and The Duke of Edinburgh.
September Doncaster Rovers F.C. formed by railway fitter Albert Jenkins.
18 September – Blackpool Illuminations lit for the first time.
2 October – William Denny and Brothers launch the world's first transatlantic steamer to be built of mild steel, the SS Buenos Ayrean, at Dumbarton for Liverpool owners. On 1 December she makes her maiden voyage out of Glasgow for South America.
13 October – first female students admitted to study for degrees of Oxford University, at the new Lady Margaret Hall and Somerville Hall and with the Society of Oxford Home-Students.
17 October – Sunderland A.F.C. is formed as 'Sunderland and District Teachers A.F.C.' in the North East.
27 October – Liverpool Echo newspaper first published.
November–March 1880 – probably the longest ever fog in the city's history engulfs London.
15–23 December – Second Anglo-Afghan War: British victory at the Siege of the Sherpur Cantonment.
28 December – the Tay Bridge Disaster: The central part of the Tay Rail Bridge in Dundee, Scotland collapses in a storm as a train passes over it, killing 78.
30 December – the comic opera The Pirates of Penzance is first presented in Paignton, Devon in a token performance for U.K. copyright reasons; the world première is given the following day in New York City, the only Gilbert and Sullivan work to have its official debut outside England.
1 January to 31 December – the combination of the severest winter since 1814, a late spring, an exceptionally cool summer and a cold dry autumn produces the third-coldest year in the CET series and the coldest since 1740, with an annual mean of 7.44 °C or 45.39 °F

Love Expresso

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2018, 11:32:30 AM »
Feel uncomfortable with using clear names here, sorry to say. Maybe better back to LE if you don't mind ...

LE

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #171 on: November 18, 2018, 11:35:49 AM »
Interestingly, I've discovered that a Charles Peace - a notorious criminal was Hung in Armley Prison (Leeds) on the 25th February 1879!!
MK's Leeds connection??

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #172 on: November 18, 2018, 11:36:40 AM »
Feel uncomfortable with using clear names here, sorry to say. Maybe better back to LE if you don't mind ...

LE

Ok, Horace.... ::)
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:40:29 AM by Knopflerfan »

Love Expresso

« Reply #173 on: November 18, 2018, 11:56:13 AM »

LE

Ok, Horace.... ::)

?

Love Expresso

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2018, 12:12:14 PM »
I don't get the horace reference and of course no offence to you as we know each othet but I could show you a list of outrageous mails I got from people last year or so.  Also some seem to recognized me on Guy's forum and have no reservation to insult me the meanest possible way...

Not that this will keep my from writing...  ;D

LE
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:30:13 AM by dustyvalentino »

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #175 on: November 18, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »

William Denny and Brothers launch the world's first transatlantic steamer to be built of mild steel, the SS Buenos Ayrean, at Dumbarton for Liverpool owners. On 1 December she makes her maiden voyage out of Glasgow for South America.[/i]

LE

There's a link there with an old song from an album released in 1979.  From Single Handed Sailor the Cutty Sark was built in Dumbarton too.  She was built in 1869, 10 years earlier.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #176 on: November 18, 2018, 02:31:03 PM »
I don't get the horace reference and of course no offence to you as we know each othet but I could show you a list of outrageous mails I got from people last year or so.  Also some seem to recognized me on Guy's forum and have no reservation to insult me the meanest possible way...

Not that this will keep my from writing...  ;D

LE

Moving on LE.... You should know me better. Putting your name was a mistake and I apologise... Now lighten up, or heavy up...
« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:30:32 AM by dustyvalentino »

Love Expresso

« Reply #177 on: November 18, 2018, 03:17:52 PM »
Quite busy today?

I couldn't be more lightened up thank you.

LE

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #178 on: November 18, 2018, 03:58:15 PM »

LE
Agreed. Changed the post. Everyone, pls stick to the nick names used

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #179 on: November 18, 2018, 03:59:37 PM »

LE

Moving on LE.... You should know me better. Putting your name was a mistake and I apologise... Now lighten up, or heavy up...
He does just that in that post.
But yes, let us move on

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 11:30:49 AM by dustyvalentino »
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 49 queries.