Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: TOP FIVE!!!  (Read 42421 times)

Offlinefollowmehome217

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: TOP FIVE!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2018, 09:18:31 PM »
1. Every Heart in the Room
2. Matchstick Man
3. One Song at a Time
4. When You Leave
5. Don't Suck Me In

HM: Floating Away, Heavy Up, Nobody Does That, Trapper Man, Just a boy away from home, back on the dance floor

This is too hard lol

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2018, 09:21:45 PM »
1. One song at a time
2. Trapper Man
3. My Bacon Roll
4. Matchstick Man
5. Just a boy away from home

Also: Back on the dancefloor, nobody's child, every heart in the room, heavy up, drovers road, good on you son

Almost all  :)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2018, 11:25:10 PM »
I'll put this here as this is the only thread about the album as a whole, rather than individual songs, that I could find...

I got the deluxe version today, had previously only listened to the two "singles".  I had very high hopes, based on the very enthusiastic early comments on here, as well as the mostly very favorable reviews.

I "just by coincidence" had scheduled a two hour + trip by car for work today, which gave me the chance to listen undisturbed.

My initial reaction, after listening to most of the album twice, is "meh".  It's not what I was expecting, and I don't really get the unbridled enthusiasm everyone else has for it.  I'm glad everyone likes it, but I'm really kind of let down.

I like the freshness of it, it's certainly different from anything else he's done, and there are some nice grooves, so I found myself tapping along to several songs, but to me, most of the songs just aren't that good.  I would have to say, at this point (maybe/hopefully it will grow on me) I like Tracker better.

So getting to the actual topic of the thread, my top 5 after just a couple listens are:

1.  Back On the Dance Floor
2.  Trapper Man
3.  Good On You Son
4.  Heavy Up
5.  One Song at a Time or My Bacon Roll, not sure

Sorry to be a downer.
Talk soft, carry a big stick, and pack the biggest gun.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2018, 11:44:28 PM »
So getting to the actual topic of the thread, my top 5 after just a couple listens are:

2.  Trapper Man
3.  Good On You Son
4.  Heavy Up

Sorry to be a downer.

A very interesting opinion. I thought for a man who loves exactly these 5 songs it's the best album ever, but seems like it's not. So I'm pretty sure you'll love it!

Offlineruipedro

• Local Hero
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2018, 11:46:52 PM »
I´m really happy!!!!so much good reviews,and i´m sure  this is the best fan club of Mark!!!cheers to all!! :) :) :) :wave :wave :wave
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:31:30 PM by ruipedro »

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2018, 12:04:56 AM »

2.  Trapper Man
3.  Good On You Son
4.  Heavy Up

Sorry to be a downer.

A very interesting opinion. I thought for a man who loves exactly these 5 songs it's the best album ever, but seems like it's not. So I'm pretty sure you'll love it!

Well, these are my Top Five.  It's just that, except for BOTDF, I don't really like any of them all that much.

I feel like One Song at a Time may grow on me.  It has a Done With Bonaparte feel to it, and I really like that song. 

Like I said, I hope the rest of it grows on me too.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2018, 12:26:37 AM »
My Moaner's Top 5:

1. Every Heart In The Room
2. When You Leave
3. Matchstick Man
4. Floating Away
5. Slow Learner

OfflineTJ

• Camerado
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2018, 01:11:22 AM »
My Moaner's Top 5:

2. When You Leave
3. Matchstick Man
4. Floating Away
5. Slow Learner

Lol, that's about right. I really don't like MK doing the jazzy lounge-singer type stuff. I don't like A Place Where We Used to Live or Hard Shoulder either. I like that style when, say, Norah Jones does it, but not Mark.

It's not that I only like uptempo, rock songs either. Basil, for example, is one of my favorite tunes on Tracker.

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2018, 01:30:39 AM »
Ive had one day with the album and there are a few instant hits, some I know will be growers and some I know I’ll never get on with. A nice strong album overall though. More importantly for me though after 30 years of finding solace in his voice through his music these new songs are like having therapy. All my mundane daily stresses seem to disappear when listening to MK. Only problem is that makes me a terrible reviewer of his music.

Offlinefollowmehome217

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2018, 03:05:39 AM »
My Moaner's Top 5:

2. When You Leave
3. Matchstick Man
4. Floating Away
5. Slow Learner

I'm not a big fan of Slow Learner cause of it not having a great melody, but I'm in almost exact agreement w/ your top 5.  I will also agree that the production on One Song at a Time is not good and pretty weird to be honest.  It's a GREAT song by Mark, but if they made the celtic part louder in the mix ala Border Reviere, it would be a top five favorite by MK.  Instead it's just a good track on this album.  Still don't understand why they made the production so weird.

OfflineLeprechaun

• Local Hero
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2018, 07:28:33 AM »
I'll put this here as this is the only thread about the album as a whole, rather than individual songs, that I could find...

I got the deluxe version today, had previously only listened to the two "singles".  I had very high hopes, based on the very enthusiastic early comments on here, as well as the mostly very favorable reviews.

I "just by coincidence" had scheduled a two hour + trip by car for work today, which gave me the chance to listen undisturbed.

My initial reaction, after listening to most of the album twice, is "meh".  It's not what I was expecting, and I don't really get the unbridled enthusiasm everyone else has for it.  I'm glad everyone likes it, but I'm really kind of let down.

I like the freshness of it, it's certainly different from anything else he's done, and there are some nice grooves, so I found myself tapping along to several songs, but to me, most of the songs just aren't that good.  I would have to say, at this point (maybe/hopefully it will grow on me) I like Tracker better.

2.  Trapper Man
3.  Good On You Son
4.  Heavy Up

Sorry to be a downer.

I am also disappointed by the album. Too less dominant guitar on it. No markable solos. Dont like the way MK sings on lots of songs. He is not a singer, but a brilliant guitarist. Miss the guitar driven songs like in the past and the licks that give me goosebumps (apart from back on the dancefloor). Few songs on that album sound identical with the same mood and instrumentation. For me there is no OES feel  throughout the album (beside the 2 singles) like someone wrote.
But nevertheless, there are few brilliant songs that I will love forever and listen again and again. They would sound great live.
My top 5:

1.Back on the dancefloor (DS feel!)
2.Good on you son (very innovative, thats how the whole album should sound. Old and new mixed together.
3. Nobodys child (the lead guitar reminds me of back to tupelo)
4. Dont suck me in (wow, a twiddly bit, great!)
5. Trapper man (a bit darling pretty structure in it)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 09:57:24 PM by Leprechaun »

OfflineShangri-La

• Local Hero
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2018, 09:05:33 AM »
A boring album with several copies of other past songs :

- First notes of Trapper Man = I'm the Fool
- The 4th song = Junkie Doll
- The 16th song = Heart of Oak

Just 3 songs are great (Trapper, Nobody's Child and One Song).

Love Expresso

« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2018, 10:00:56 AM »

Oh that's a pity. Maybe that's your impression after the very first listen? Hope that you maybe discover some gems like Drover's Road or Heavy Up after several more turns? Greetings!

LE

OfflineShangri-La

• Local Hero
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Oh that's a pity. Maybe that's your impression after the very first listen? Hope that you maybe discover some gems like Drover's Road or Heavy Up after several more turns? Greetings!

LE

Heavy Up....I hate it. Drover's Road is near to Mighty Man which is the only song I don't like on Tracker.
Maybe My Bacon Roll and Every Heart in the Room.

I love Nobody's Child, for me one the greatest songs since 2007.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2018, 10:18:34 AM »
More importantly for me though after 30 years of finding solace in his voice through his music these new songs are like having therapy. All my mundane daily stresses seem to disappear when listening to MK.

Some of the most beautiful words ever said here.
I feel the same.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.038 seconds with 40 queries.