Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Interview in german Spiegel  (Read 14093 times)

OfflineMarkus

• Camerado
Re: Interview in german Spiegel
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2019, 11:20:38 AM »
Can somebody post a picture of the cover please.

Look at "DER SPIEGEL 3/2019" -> http://www.spiegel.de/spiegel/print/index-2019-3.html
Markus

MK DTRW Tour : Germany - Mannheim - SAP Arena - 2019-Jul-06

Love Expresso

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2019, 11:22:10 AM »
Can somebody post a picture of the cover please. I am interested to buy the magazine and this way am sure to buy the right one. Thanks!

It's Der Spiegel Nr.3/12.01.2019.  I am sure that will do. It's not a music magazine but a news magazine.

LE

OfflineMK_live

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Camerado
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2019, 12:30:24 PM »
Thanks very much, all clear now. Just bought a copy on the German Ebay.

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2019, 01:21:22 PM »
To be precise, he said that "The Blue Flower" is one of his most favorite books, not the most favorite.

Apologies!    As you will note, the vital word for "one of" is not clear in that part of the text, due to it being on a fold and shiny!   ;)

please, no apologies needed. I am not pedantic. But since I think Mark & literature will be one of the topics we'll be discussing more intensively in the future, I thought to put it right here. Well-read people (like Mark) usually don't have that one book but quite a lot of "most favorite" ones.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2019, 02:37:40 PM »
To be precise, he said that "The Blue Flower" is one of his most favorite books, not the most favorite.

Apologies!    As you will note, the vital word for "one of" is not clear in that part of the text, due to it being on a fold and shiny!   ;)

please, no apologies needed. I am not pedantic. But since I think Mark & literature will be one of the topics we'll be discussing more intensively in the future, I thought to put it right here. Well-read people (like Mark) usually don't have that one book but quite a lot of "most favorite" ones.

As you probably are aware, I am English and for a couple of years attended German evening classes, which I enjoyed enormously, but sadly my local council eventually decided not to fund them anymore.   I began to try to teach myself from then on by reading and translating as much German as I could and this is what I did with the Knopfler interview in Der Spiegel.   I could understand quite a lot of what I read, as far as I could see, because a lot of the text was blurred, but I only referred to a translator when I didn't recognise a word, or phrase.

We English are often accused of being lazy with foreign languages, as opposed to other nationalities who, generally, are very good at English and I have always applauded people for whom English isn't their first language, especially on this forum.   I never cease to be impressed with their grammar and spelling for instance and wouldn't dream of correcting anyone.

I remember going to a restaurant in Austria a while ago to reserve a table for dinner and as soon as I began to talk, the proprietor stopped me and said I had no need to speak German, because they spoke perfect English.   So, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't!

Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2019, 03:07:15 PM »
It's a pity the local council didn't fund your evening classes anymore. Have you ventured into German literature?

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2019, 03:12:49 PM »
It's a pity the local council didn't fund your evening classes anymore. Have you ventured into German literature?

Not yet!    I'm still at the stage of reading German Knopfler reviews and suchlike, because that's what I am interested in and if one is very interested in a particular subject it makes it much less like hard work!    ;D    BTW  Are you German or from a German speaking country?
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2019, 03:54:03 PM »
As you probably are aware, I am English and for a couple of years attended German evening classes, which I enjoyed enormously, but sadly my local council eventually decided not to fund them anymore. I began to try to teach myself from then on by reading and translating as much German as I could and this is what I did with the Knopfler interview in Der Spiegel. I could understand quite a lot of what I read, as far as I could see, because a lot of the text was blurred, but I only referred to a translator when I didn't recognise a word, or phrase.

We English are often accused of being lazy with foreign languages, as opposed to other nationalities who, generally, are very good at English and I have always applauded people for whom English isn't their first language, especially on this forum. I never cease to be impressed with their grammar and spelling for instance and wouldn't dream of correcting anyone.

I remember going to a restaurant in Austria a while ago to reserve a table for dinner and as soon as I began to talk, the proprietor stopped me and said I had no need to speak German, because they spoke perfect English. So, we are damned if we do and damned if we don't!

I was watching this documentary on Scandinavia the other day and there was some Swedish people speaking crystal clear, 100% perfect Russian. I was completely astonished! A if they were born there. Not only our language isn't the easiest one to learn, they also know theirs, too (Swedish, Norwegian for instance AND English). So yeah, I always admire people like this.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2019, 04:06:00 PM »
By the way, speaking of mothers, I was watching the recent David Gilmour doc and towards the end of it there was a whole segment about his mother. In it, he was asked wether he miss her or not, he thought about it for a while and said "No". How come he won't miss his own ma? :think

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2019, 04:48:54 PM »
About the "Scottish thing": "Mel Gibson made a terrible movie "Braveheart", full of construed contrasts for people with very little brains... I never had time for flag waving nationalists."
LE

So Mr. Knopfler thinks I have a little brain because I love the movie "Braveheart" Interesting   ;)
Cheers Peter

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2019, 05:52:31 PM »
I like much too. Beautiful music, but the film does not tell a true story. Thanks for the interview. Can anyone translate from German?
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2019, 06:13:40 PM »
By the way, speaking of mothers, I was watching the recent David Gilmour doc and towards the end of it there was a whole segment about his mother. In it, he was asked wether he miss her or not, he thought about it for a while and said "No". How come he won't miss his own ma? :think

Perhaps he meant he’s come to terms with her loss?
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2019, 06:45:45 PM »
He spoke about that as well. Is a great docu. Imagine that with mk

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinermarques821

• Lady writer
« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2019, 07:12:02 PM »
Reading that his father read the Spiegel I wonder if Mark and his siblings learned german.

I don't think Mark speaks German, but he certainly knows a few words. If I am not mistaken, during the concert at Rockpalast, he used to thank the audience with "danke schön!".
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:14:05 PM by rmarques821 »

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2019, 07:42:27 PM »
Reading that his father read the Spiegel I wonder if Mark and his siblings learned german.

I don't think Mark speaks German, but he certainly knows a few words. If I am not mistaken, during the concert at Rockpalast, he used to thank the audience with "danke schön!".
Oh he knows more then that

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 39 queries.