Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tour rehearsals  (Read 54756 times)

OfflineH97

• Camerado
Re: Tour rehearsals
« Reply #120 on: April 05, 2019, 11:35:32 PM »
Alright, so my guess... result of some realistic dreaming:

01 Trapper Man (I mean, this has to be the opener, right? Band starts playing the intro while MK walks on, and at the moment he's upfront the drums and full band kick in...)
02 Calling Elvis (It's the biggest band since DS days, no? Time to bring this one back. Open like in 2001, some atmospheric synths to give the wrists their rest and this one doesn't even necessarily need the fastest guitar playing in the world, keep it down to earth, build it up slowly give the folkies some strumming instrument... a man can dream..)
03 Back on the Dance Floor (We know for sure it will be played and would fit perfectly after the first DS classic, maybe even slightly abridge with the previous song, a nice new breather)
04 Sailing to Philadelphia (Keeping it nice and easy with a solid classic, perfectly solo tie-breaker for the first half of the set!)
05 Metroland (we've even got a trumpet player this time! Haven't we waited long enough? A nice deep cut to satisfy the die-hard fans and lure new people in further, like Wag the Dog did in 2001. Great substitute for Hillfarmer's Blues)
06 When You Leave (I'd place Seattle here if Ruth Moody joined, but this can take its place - let the brass shine!)
07 She's Gone/Your Latest Trick (another confirmed one, would be perfect to abridge to When You Leave instead of She's Gone if only both were in the same key (instead of Emaj and Fmin :( ))
08 Romeo and Juliet (The live staple of MK shows, cannot be missed. And hey, we've got sax with us, so bring on that lovely sweet song. If this is the last tour, Mark cannot miss out on it (+ is was already played during a promo show for DTRW, so MK's still got it))
09 Nobody Does That (Let's celebrate the brass once more before we put them down for a while - this is where Broken Bones should've been, can take Sonny Liston's or Gator Blood's place) (If MK wants to go folk here, like he did with Haul Away and Mighty Man, put in Drover's Road!)
10 My Bacon Roll ('scuse me? One of the most acclaimed songs of the new album and a really nice haunting vibe, extended that outro further with some licks and you're good to go)
11 Portobello Belle (It's been too long since this one has been played and I'd say it perfectly fits MK right now. I'm still dying for a version with the folk influence that doesn't end as abruptly as the 1996 video, so bring it back. Also, I like to put a DS song in here, instead of all clustered together. Nice balance between new, old and new versions of the old :) )
12 One Song at a Time (Alright, assume Mark already introduced the brass at the start of Nobody Does That, this song then provides the perfect new Postcards from Paraguay. Same trick: drums first, then that cute organ, bass, etc. He has to play it, down the road wherever...)
13 Heavy Up (Lighten the mood even further! No longer Marbletown is the big one at the end, but a nice jam on Heavy Up: not too long, but good for dancing and bringing the brass back to shine on the next song...)
14 On Every Street (Telegraph Road is of course the magnum opus, but I think it has retired: the piano gives Mark some rest and the outro is just iconic. I'm dying to see it live once)
15 Speedway at Nazareth (A long, growling solo to end the main set. Maybe the essential song of Mark's solo career and live always stunning. Should by all means be there and has grown up, it's worthy of closing the set)

ENCORE:

16 Matchstick Man (Mark said he'd play it, and can you imagine him returning to the stage, lights dimmed, acoustic guitar and nothing more? I can. So there he was then...)
17 So Far Away (Yeah, this one will never retire. Quite remarkable he chose this song to become his DS classic, no? It wasn't even played that often with the band in the heydays and skipped it during the Golden Heart tour. Brought it back after 10 years in 2001)
18 Going Home (Going out with a bang, and definitely possible with this band. Also, nice hint/promotion of the musical. I could even see The Mist Covered Mountains return as the intro, played by the band. Even though I loved Piper to the End live, this one blew me away much more. The moment everyone kicks in just does things to a room)

So, maybe a little bit heavy on the last album and DS (eight and six songs), and representing not many others (only Local Hero (1); Sailing (2); Metroland (1)), but I'd love to see something like this live. Would work absolutely well with the new album. Being totally realistic though, I expect Privateering and Hill Farmer's Blues to return and Just a Boy to debut after Romeo and Juliet. Encore will probably include Brothers in Arms or Our-Shangri-La at times. What It Is might return as well, Why Aye Man maybe even... so many songs would work perfectly.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 11:41:11 PM by Hugo97 »

Offlineenrkaton82

• Guitar George
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2019, 02:25:22 AM »
WISHING (whising realistic, not fantasy, won´t ask for "It never rains" lol)

I think that is one is realistic, without guitar pyrotecnics where MK is vulnerable to errors. Also is balanced with folk/brass, old/new, classics/obscure ones. And also is a solid show that uses all the colours of MK palette, well thought like "We are going to do a two hours emotional experience with a farewell and gratitude feeling after an entire life dedicated to music" and not "just play two hours of stuff"

1. WHAT IT IS (I know it has been played to death, but lord... This is the signature song of his solo career. It is also a perfect opener like 2013 and can made feel confortable people who don´t know his career very well)
2. TRAPPER MAN (energetic second one, groovy and earfriendly)
3. PRIVATEERING (one of the late-second-row-classics of his career. Good showcase for the folkies. I think that one of the keys of the show must be keeping the balance between brass section and folkies without eclipsing MK to much)
4. BACK IN THE DANCEFLOOR (one of the singles. with the brass section doing Imelda parts)
5. WHEN YOU LEAVE (intimate after the joy, dark scenario with MK doing some small electric licks and no solo)
6. ONE SONG AT A TIME (folkies again. One of the songs that sum up the career of MK)
7. SHES GONE / LASTEST TRICK (brass again. DS tune, in order to put some in the set. Its obvious that MK struggles with heavy-guitar stuff like SOS, so should play in a confort zone where he can shine doing small and brighty things)
8. I USED TO COULD (something rockier, not with sax like 2013-15, but with the full brass section)
9. ROMEO (since 1980. Not only tu put another DS classic, just because pure logic. This is the flag of MK entire trajectory. Can you imagine attending a Toto gig without hearing Africa?)
10. NOBODY DOES THAT (filling the gap that Paraguay left, i am not ready to hear that lacklust old song again. I would like to hear the new lacklust one. Don´t get me wrong, it is a simple relaxed song in order to put some fun and introduce the band during a 12 minutes extended version with a small MK solo, sax solo, trumpet solo and keayboard solo)
11. ON EVERY STREET (another suitable classic. Last tour worked very well. Very sentimental. Past and present)
12. MARBLETOWN (the return of the folkies. MK will play this one to death because he´s addicted to this one)
13. SPEEDWAY (another big one. Long and loud enough to close main set)

14. BROTHERS (another DS classic to fill the service sheet)
15. SO FAR AWAY (after the sentimental-slow-long DS classic, the frivolous-"fast"-short one. Very recognizible to people who came to the show without knowing MK solo career. We must recognize that a important part of the audience are just casual DS fans who know about of a dozen DS commercial classics. This tune is for them)
16. PIPER (First one of the encore with folkies. Farewell song for the show and possibly for the big tours. Very sentimental)

17. MATCHSTICK MAN (wait a minute, after the farewell, MK comes solo in a dark scenario with a spotlight over him. The closing story to a like on the road)
18. GOING HOME (just after Matchstick, atmospheric keyboards start building up in order to start Going home, without a word in between. The road goes forever)

BEING PESIMISTIC (REALISTIC) With MK in a ultra comfort mode

1. BROKEN BONES (please no. I can´t stand the thought os MK liking it so much from the previous tour and recyclyng again for this one)
2. CORNED BEEF
3. PRIVATEERING
4. FATHER AND SON
5. HILL FARMER
6. WHEN YOU LEAVE
7. ROMEO
8. SONNY LISTON
9. HAUL AWAY
10. POSTCARDS
11. MARBLETOWN
12. SPEEDWAY

13. SHANGRI LA
14. SO FAR AWAY
15. GOING HOME
And we have just one world...

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2019, 09:20:26 AM »
Alright, so my guess... result of some realistic dreaming:

01 Trapper Man (I mean, this has to be the opener, right? Band starts playing the intro while MK walks on, and at the moment he's upfront the drums and full band kick in...)
02 Calling Elvis (It's the biggest band since DS days, no? Time to bring this one back. Open like in 2001, some atmospheric synths to give the wrists their rest and this one doesn't even necessarily need the fastest guitar playing in the world, keep it down to earth, build it up slowly give the folkies some strumming instrument... a man can dream..)
03 Back on the Dance Floor (We know for sure it will be played and would fit perfectly after the first DS classic, maybe even slightly abridge with the previous song, a nice new breather)
04 Sailing to Philadelphia (Keeping it nice and easy with a solid classic, perfectly solo tie-breaker for the first half of the set!)
05 Metroland (we've even got a trumpet player this time! Haven't we waited long enough? A nice deep cut to satisfy the die-hard fans and lure new people in further, like Wag the Dog did in 2001. Great substitute for Hillfarmer's Blues)
06 When You Leave (I'd place Seattle here if Ruth Moody joined, but this can take its place - let the brass shine!)
07 She's Gone/Your Latest Trick (another confirmed one, would be perfect to abridge to When You Leave instead of She's Gone if only both were in the same key (instead of Emaj and Fmin :( ))
08 Romeo and Juliet (The live staple of MK shows, cannot be missed. And hey, we've got sax with us, so bring on that lovely sweet song. If this is the last tour, Mark cannot miss out on it (+ is was already played during a promo show for DTRW, so MK's still got it))
09 Nobody Does That (Let's celebrate the brass once more before we put them down for a while - this is where Broken Bones should've been, can take Sonny Liston's or Gator Blood's place) (If MK wants to go folk here, like he did with Haul Away and Mighty Man, put in Drover's Road!)
10 My Bacon Roll ('scuse me? One of the most acclaimed songs of the new album and a really nice haunting vibe, extended that outro further with some licks and you're good to go)
11 Portobello Belle (It's been too long since this one has been played and I'd say it perfectly fits MK right now. I'm still dying for a version with the folk influence that doesn't end as abruptly as the 1996 video, so bring it back. Also, I like to put a DS song in here, instead of all clustered together. Nice balance between new, old and new versions of the old :) )
12 One Song at a Time (Alright, assume Mark already introduced the brass at the start of Nobody Does That, this song then provides the perfect new Postcards from Paraguay. Same trick: drums first, then that cute organ, bass, etc. He has to play it, down the road wherever...)
13 Heavy Up (Lighten the mood even further! No longer Marbletown is the big one at the end, but a nice jam on Heavy Up: not too long, but good for dancing and bringing the brass back to shine on the next song...)
14 On Every Street (Telegraph Road is of course the magnum opus, but I think it has retired: the piano gives Mark some rest and the outro is just iconic. I'm dying to see it live once)
15 Speedway at Nazareth (A long, growling solo to end the main set. Maybe the essential song of Mark's solo career and live always stunning. Should by all means be there and has grown up, it's worthy of closing the set)

ENCORE:

16 Matchstick Man (Mark said he'd play it, and can you imagine him returning to the stage, lights dimmed, acoustic guitar and nothing more? I can. So there he was then...)
17 So Far Away (Yeah, this one will never retire. Quite remarkable he chose this song to become his DS classic, no? It wasn't even played that often with the band in the heydays and skipped it during the Golden Heart tour. Brought it back after 10 years in 2001)
18 Going Home (Going out with a bang, and definitely possible with this band. Also, nice hint/promotion of the musical. I could even see The Mist Covered Mountains return as the intro, played by the band. Even though I loved Piper to the End live, this one blew me away much more. The moment everyone kicks in just does things to a room)

So, maybe a little bit heavy on the last album and DS (eight and six songs), and representing not many others (only Local Hero (1); Sailing (2); Metroland (1)), but I'd love to see something like this live. Would work absolutely well with the new album. Being totally realistic though, I expect Privateering and Hill Farmer's Blues to return and Just a Boy to debut after Romeo and Juliet. Encore will probably include Brothers in Arms or Our-Shangri-La at times. What It Is might return as well, Why Aye Man maybe even... so many songs would work perfectly.

:clap :clap :clap very good set list, I hope like you in Portobello Belle and I add Sultans Of Swing (I think that not will be another Large Tour for Mark and 40 years after debut album he'll play that) .......No for Heavy up  :wave
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 09:24:38 AM by straitsway75 »

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2019, 11:33:27 AM »
I’m sure going home will be the main closer but rather than pairing with the most coveted mountains, how about Boomtown - Louis favourite from the local hero soundtrack. A great sax song that will be easy for MK and give him a bit of a rest before Going Home solo. Lots of opportunities to weave full brass and folkies in here too, maybe even use it as the band introducing slot.

OfflineBilly’s Tune

• Camerado
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2019, 06:34:50 PM »
Auto-correct took over!
Should have read mist covered mountains, not most coveted ... although I do like the correction too!!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2019, 06:43:57 PM »
Auto-correct took over!
Should have read mist covered mountains, not most coveted ... although I do like the correction too!!

LOL!   I must admit to having a chuckle the first time!   :lol
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2019, 08:55:45 PM »
That's not the real Richard Bennet behind that account then  ;)
Is it not his wife, Christina Bennett?
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlineskydiver

• Camerado
« Reply #127 on: April 08, 2019, 11:14:04 AM »
The London Drum Company has two pics and a very short video of Ian's and Danny's setup from the rehearsals on their Instagram account.
Can't copy them here at the moment.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 11:34:35 AM by skydiver »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #128 on: April 08, 2019, 11:28:03 AM »
That's not the real Richard Bennet behind that account then  ;)
Is it not his wife, Christina Bennett?

Probably yes, because of the ~CWB signature.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #129 on: April 08, 2019, 12:46:55 PM »
The London Drum Company has two pics and a very short video of Ian's and Danny's setup from the rehearsals on their Instagram account.
Can't copy them here at the moment.

https://www.instagram.com/londondrumcompany/

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #130 on: April 08, 2019, 12:59:46 PM »
Interesting picture in Guy's site

You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 01:09:50 PM by Dutchessy »

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #132 on: April 08, 2019, 01:15:41 PM »
Calling Elvis?  ;)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #133 on: April 08, 2019, 01:20:12 PM »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #134 on: April 08, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
Interesting picture in Guy's site

I can't find this picture on Guy's site!    ???
Goin' into Tow Law....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 35 queries.