Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark has an announcement coming soon.  (Read 10809 times)

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
Mark has an announcement coming soon.
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:16:24 PM »
Just saw this on Facebook. Wonder what it is?

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
Re: Mark has an announcement coming soon.
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
It can’t be another signature model, can it? Very curious!

Offlineborder_reiver

• Founder
  • Romeo
  • "I've been down in Louisiana playing on his album"
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 09:23:17 PM »
Perhaps, in case it has been overlooked, he might publicly state that he was the one to blame for blowing up that family radio of 1 pulsating watt.
"My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues."

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:00:46 AM »
Perhaps, in case it has been overlooked, he might publicly state that he was the one to blame for blowing up that family radio of 1 pulsating watt.

Or possibly he's trying to ban armchairs from being used in guitar stores. That one — I can't understand.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:27:06 AM »

Or possibly he's trying to ban armchairs from being used in guitar stores. That one — I can't understand.

Or bring the news that Guy has been sacked due to his bad taste of shirts on stage  :lol

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:54:46 AM »
An epiphone model of his Gibson.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »

:lol :lol

All because the "poor" middle-class lad apparently couldn't afford an amplifier.  Cue the violins.  ::)

That's it!  A signature Gibson violin for every time he tells the story!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 12:50:20 PM »

All because the "poor" middle-class lad apparently couldn't afford an amplifier.  Cue the violins.  ::)

I do cringe with that story as he is implying he had a tough childhood like Chet Atkins. My guess is he probably had a comfortable upbringing.

hunter

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 02:42:47 PM »

I do cringe with that story as he is implying he had a tough childhood like Chet Atkins. My guess is he probably had a comfortable upbringing.

I don't take it that way at all. You have to remember that modern electrical appliances were very expensive back then compared to today's mass-produced China-made products. Blowing up a radio was a lot money. And this being not that long after the war, Mark's parents proably were a lot thriftier than later generations.

I AM sick of the story though.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 02:58:55 PM »

I don't take it that way at all. You have to remember that modern electrical appliances were very expensive back then compared to today's mass-produced China-made products. Blowing up a radio was a lot money. And this being not that long after the war, Mark's parents proably were a lot thriftier than later generations.

I do appreciate it was post-war Britain and had thought about that however I never have been a fan of the "feel sorry for me" story, especially when he'd have been better off than most at the time.  I'm not sure why he wants everyone to think he was a poor working-class lad when he wasn't.  It makes no difference to me but it does annoy me that he wants to deceive people about it, especially when he keeps pushing it.

hunter

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 03:10:19 PM »

I do appreciate it was post-war Britain and had thought about that however I never have been a fan of the "feel sorry for me" story, especially when he'd have been better off than most at the time.  I'm not sure why he wants everyone to think he was a poor working-class lad when he wasn't.  It makes no difference to me but it does annoy me that he wants to deceive people about it, especially when he keeps pushing it.

I've never thought or felt that he was trying to make anyone think they were poor / working class. Just that radios, instruments and amps were expensive things back then. Plus there's the humorous side to it to. For people who don't know the story, it IS funny and sweet. Tommy Emmanuel told a similar story from his childhood.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 06:18:04 PM »

I've never thought or felt that he was trying to make anyone think they were poor / working class. Just that radios, instruments and amps were expensive things back then. Plus there's the humorous side to it to. For people who don't know the story, it IS funny and sweet. Tommy Emmanuel told a similar story from his childhood.

I reckon it's to do with the class thing in the UK where he thinks it's beneficial for him to promote a working-class background than a middle-class one in as far as people will think he's more down-to-earth etc.  I wonder if foreign people (living outwith the UK) can fully appreciate this and understand why he does this "joke" all the time.  Maybe I'm reading too much into the psychology behind it.  :-\

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2019, 08:27:54 PM »
This is just a story from his childhood. When - as a child - you break the family radio, this is a big bad thing to remember.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2019, 08:56:35 PM »
I’m totally on board with you dmg. My parents couldn’t have afforded an electric guitar even in the 80’s. Its not a cool back story to have had a privileged or comfortable upbringing. Especially for a rock star.

hunter

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2019, 11:08:52 PM »
I think you guys are reading too much into it. A middle-class background (architect father, teacher mother, right?) doesn't mean they had a comfortable financial situation? And by the time Mark started doing interviews, he was a well-adjusted grown man. Where's the need to pretend or play down his social background? It's not like he was some Eton College toff, chauffered to and fro in a Rolls Royce.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.083 seconds with 44 queries.