Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Last Big Tour... Say Goodbye  (Read 30739 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: Last Big Tour... Say Goodbye
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2019, 01:34:45 PM »
I am not sad that this is the last tour. I am happy that I got to know Mark's music in the first place, and it has brought me nothing but joy since first hearing Sultans of Swing in 1988. He has had a profound influence on my life, both in terms of a musical and emotional impact, but also he is the reason I learned to play guitar, and attempted to write songs. He is a giant in the music world, and always will be. This is not a time for sadness, but a time to celebrate the end of an extraordinary contribution to live performance over the years, remember Live Aid, Mandela tribute, Alchemy, Brothers In Arms tour to name a few. His songs, music, lyrics and guitar playing is like no other, he is and always will be a legend for me. If this is the last tour, so be it, he deserves the rest. He will always write and record songs. And we will always have the memories.

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
I am not sad that this is the last tour. I am happy that I got to know Mark's music in the first place, and it has brought me nothing but joy since first hearing Sultans of Swing in 1988. He has had a profound influence on my life, both in terms of a musical and emotional impact, but also he is the reason I learned to play guitar, and attempted to write songs. He is a giant in the music world, and always will be. This is not a time for sadness, but a time to celebrate the end of an extraordinary contribution to live performance over the years, remember Live Aid, Mandela tribute, Alchemy, Brothers In Arms tour to name a few. His songs, music, lyrics and guitar playing is like no other, he is and always will be a legend for me. If this is the last tour, so be it, he deserves the rest. He will always write and record songs. And we will always have the memories.

I agree with everything you say.   I am sad, of course, but I'm glad that he has decided to do it now and not become one of those rock stars who never know when to give up.   As you say, he will still write and record songs and we will have our precious memories!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »
I attended the opening night  and was surprised by the words he choose to announce his retirement from touring. I would like an exact transcript of it because if I have well understand his speech it was a sad goodbye to Barcelona.

I will give it a try, i wrote it down from an audience recording, pretty accurate (not 100%)

Alright Barcelona - happy or great to see you again
yeah, it's been a long time now
i always loved to be in Barcelona
so, once again is, hello Barcelona
but now, i am an oooold man, you know
so, i wanna thank you Barcelona for all the many happy years of me coming to say hello
it is also goodbye Barcelona for me, i am very sad
so hello Barcelona, dear Barcelona, i love Barcelona
but i will still try to make some records and write songs, but has to be no more travelling for old granddad, nevermind

Thank you  :wave
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2019, 02:14:48 PM »
I attended the opening night  and was surprised by the words he choose to announce his retirement from touring. I would like an exact transcript of it because if I have well understand his speech it was a sad goodbye to Barcelona.

I will give it a try, i wrote it down from an audience recording, pretty accurate (not 100%)

Alright Barcelona - happy or great to see you again
yeah, it's been a long time now
i always loved to be in Barcelona
so, once again is, hello Barcelona
but now, i am an oooold man, you know
so, i wanna thank you Barcelona for all the many happy years of me coming to say hello
it is also goodbye Barcelona for me, i am very sad
so hello Barcelona, dear Barcelona, i love Barcelona
but i will still try to make some records and write songs, but has to be no more travelling for old granddad, nevermind

Thank you  :wave

You are welcome, cool you and me met in Barcelona very quickly after the show  ;)
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: April 27, 2019, 02:24:51 PM »
He gained some weight since 2015, which also could contribute to that it seems he have shrunk. Also, he might be a little stiff nowadays, but he certainly does not look like he's in his 80s in my opinion

I know plenty of people older than Mark (go to the football with them), my parents are only a few years younger and yet they not only look younger but are physically more able bodied.  Mark appears to have had a dramatic downturn physically since last tour which is very sad.  :'(

After show two and looking at his physical condition I'm more than a bit concerned about just what he has taken on here.

I'm worried he won't make it through the entire tour.    :-\

I would not be that pessimistic. I mean look at this for instance, and it also worked:

I am sure Mark has best medical care, they know what this tour means. And remember he always looked somewhat grummy which will not get less when he ages. Also his playing I dont agree with some saying he cannot make it anymore; of course he needs breaks but looking at the first close-up clip on TR from Barcelona I would say it is very nice, and to my view more precise and fluid than last tour (remember Seville...). And the sound is over the top for me. Lets be positive...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:27:24 PM by junkiedoll »

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2019, 02:28:25 PM »
He gained some weight since 2015, which also could contribute to that it seems he have shrunk. Also, he might be a little stiff nowadays, but he certainly does not look like he's in his 80s in my opinion

I know plenty of people older than Mark (go to the football with them), my parents are only a few years younger and yet they not only look younger but are physically more able bodied.  Mark appears to have had a dramatic downturn physically since last tour which is very sad.  :'(

After show two and looking at his physical condition I'm more than a bit concerned about just what he has taken on here.

I'm worried he won't make it through the entire tour.    :-\

I would not be that pessimistic. I mean look at this for instance, and it also worked:

I am sure Mark has best medical care, they know what this tour means. And remember he always looked somewhat grummy which will not get less when he ages. Also his playing I dont agree with some saying he cannot make it anymore; of course he needs breaks but looking at the first close-up clip on TR from Barcelona I would say it is very nice, and to my view more precise and fluid than last tour (remember Seville...). And the sound is over the top for me. Lets be positive...

Exactly  :thumbsup

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2019, 02:48:39 PM »
Remember that Mark has to carry more weight on his shoulders (metaphorically speaking) as guitarist too.  Without the guitar playing the tour would be over.  I'm sure Collins could just sit on stage and sing with a band behind him but people go to hear Mark play as well.

We all remember Seville when Mark and others were ill.  I really wish these videos were taken down from YouTube.

P.S. Getting to that sunbed was like a landscape to be negotiated for poor old Phil!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 02:51:31 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
Remember that Mark has to carry more weight on his shoulders (metaphorically speaking) as guitarist too.  Without the guitar playing the tour would be over.  I'm sure Collins could just sit on stage and sing with a band behind him but people go to hear Mark play as well.

We all remember Seville when Mark and others were ill.  I really wish these videos were taken down from YouTube.

P.S. Getting to that sunbed was like a landscape to be negotiated for poor old Phil!

This show you mean?

Pretty good TR...
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2019, 03:02:29 PM »
Yes, that show.  All the Spanish shows suffered the effects of the bug that passed through the band.  Lucca too.

Offlinejunkiedoll

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2019, 03:27:14 PM »

This show you mean?

Pretty good TR...

puh, look at 11:49 and the following seconds; its wrecked...; and in general I find it much more unprecise in all the tone, bendings and death notes than two days ago...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2019, 03:38:02 PM »
Well, MK did a tour seated playing guitar as good as ever...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #71 on: April 27, 2019, 03:58:53 PM »

This show you mean?

Pretty good TR...

puh, look at 11:49 and the following seconds; its wrecked...; and in general I find it much more unprecise in all the tone, bendings and death notes than two days ago...

I agree.  Not only is the version poorly executed but the tone is poor.  The version played in Barcelona was far better in both respects and it was only the first night of the tour IMHO.

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #72 on: April 27, 2019, 04:01:14 PM »
I did not follow last tour as intense as I am this time... I saw in earlier posts about the band being ill in Spain 2015. Did not know, were they tired/exhausted at stage as well during this?

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #73 on: April 27, 2019, 04:20:21 PM »
Actually, he's not in his 70s, he be 70 in August.  He looks like he's in his 80s though which is a concern. He does appear to have shrunk which can be attributed to age or postural issues/back problems. 

The way he hold his guitar now is different and kind of awkward looking and I'm guessing this is perhaps to save pain on his back.  I suffer from frozen shoulder and postural problems myself and can understand this.  The new angle may alleviate some of the weight across the top of his neck.  I do this when carrying things around my neck for long periods such as my camera.

I agree wholeheartedly dmg, unfortunately MK does look like he's 'Old before his time' as my late Grandfather would have said.
He does certainly look a lot older than 69........
He is rooted to the spot with hardly any movement around the stage and when he does move he shuffles...
I do find it incredibly sad to see him like it and only hope he does make the whole tour......

Again like qjamesfloyd has quite rightly put on here that we all have our own unique memories of MK and how special 'the master' is to each one of us... I shall never, ever forget meeting him, chatting and shaking his hand.......

Blimey it sounds like an obituary, but in some little way seeing him the way we have on stage the fire is slowly dying. :'( :'(
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineneco

• Camerado
« Reply #74 on: April 27, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »
It can‘t be that bad. Otherwise, don‘t you think he would do the whole concert sitting like in 2010? It seems his health is at least good enough to do it without sitting most of the time. And 2010 shows us that he WOULD do it sitting down, so..

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 38 queries.