Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #18 DTRW TOUR - May 21 2019 - Royal Albert Hall, London, UK #SPOILER#  (Read 19323 times)

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Those 2 days were amazing!! Thanks to all the fans i've met and spent the days with. It made it all very special to be between you lovely people.

Both nights in the front (1st and 2nd rows) of RAH (2nd night front row, right in the middle, i felt so lucky) its just wow. 

Will post some pics of the Amit meeting and shows tomorrow.
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
Finally, a review, and it’s a 5 star review in The Times.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
I’m not sure that’s terribly easy to read, something about how the forum software treats the attachment. Incidentally, not altogether clear whether it’s a review of first or second RAH concert, but I’ve posted it here.

OfflineDutchessy

• Founder
  • Brother in Arms
Better to copy and paste the text
Proud member of the AMIT crew

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
That’s probably behind a paywall. I can’t easily copy the text, but I may be able to do so tomorrow.

OfflineKris-b

• Lady writer
That’s probably behind a paywall. I can’t easily copy the text, but I may be able to do so tomorrow.
I can open this link without a paywall.

hunter

Just zoom out in your browser, then you can read it.

Offlinegoon525

• Camerado
Let’s see if this works:-

FIRST NIGHT: POP
Review: Mark Knopfler and Band at the Royal Albert Hall
In an era when virtuosity in rock music isn’t celebrated as much as it used to be, it was thrilling to watch a master at work

Joe Clay
May 23 2019, 12:00pm,
The Times
Music
Mark Knopfler supplied mesmeric fills and effortless, mellifluous riffs
Mark Knopfler supplied mesmeric fills and effortless, mellifluous riffs
REX FEATURES
Save
★★★★★
The “and Band” on the billing was crucial as the former Dire Straits main man played the first of two sold-out nights at the Albert Hall. Mark Knopfler, who will turn 70 in August, has spent the decades since that band ended putting together a formidable ensemble of supporting musicians. On stage with him were ten extra bodies, all as skilled as the band leader in their field. “I play one instrument,” he said, deadpan. “They play about 47.”

It was not an exaggeration. There were fiddles, mandolins, flutes, penny whistles, a pedal steel, a Hammond organ, a sax, a trumpet, a double bass, drums and every kind of percussion imaginable from the exuberant Danny Cummings. There were even uilleann pipes and a cittern on the beguiling Celtic folk of Done With Bonaparte.

Of course, the one instrument that Knopfler plays he plays better than most people. In an era when virtuosity in rock music isn’t celebrated as much as it used to be, it was thrilling to watch a master at work. He changed guitar between every song, from his faithful old red Fender Stratocaster for the delicate, countrified Sailing to Philadelphia to the beautiful Dobro that graced the cover of the multimillion-selling Brothers in Arms. “All I ever wanted was a guitar,” he said. “Now they’re everywhere.”

Those mesmeric fills and effortless, mellifluous riffs adorned every song, most strikingly on a spellbinding rendition of Brothers in Arms. Age has not withered his talent, although his conversational, gruff vocals were almost whispered at points, which was fine for the rootsy material (a new song, My Bacon Roll, was a highlight), but meant that the old favourite Romeo and Juliet lacked the emotional punch it once had.

Inevitably, the biggest cheer of the night was reserved for the anthemic rocker Money for Nothing as the audience left their seats to come to the front and celebrate their guitar hero up close. Ordinary fella. Extraordinary talent. Exceptional band.
SSE Hydro, Glasgow, May 26; the O2, London, May 28; Manchester Arena, May 29; Resorts World Arena, Birmingham, May 30

Offlinedvschend

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
"to the beautiful Dobro that graced the cover of the multimillion-selling Brothers in Arms"

:think :smack :think :smack ;D ;D ;D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/mark-knopfler-royal-albert-hall-review-sultans-return

According to this, Sultans was played on the National!   ::)   I'm sure it was a genuine mistake though.   ;)

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:27:36 AM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
https://theartsdesk.com/new-music/mark-knopfler-royal-albert-hall-review-sultans-return

According to this, Sultans was played on the National!   ::)   I'm sure it was a genuine mistake though.   ;)

I read it too and thought the chap was referring to Romeo with the open tuned national not Sultans...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 40 queries.