Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Is this the best band he's ever had?  (Read 20094 times)

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Re: Is this the best band he's ever had?
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2019, 12:03:27 PM »
Dire Straits 1977-1992   Love over gold world tour

Even if it preceded their most successful album, even though it didn't have thet Mark's best playing of all time (it grew exponentially in the 88-92 period) that was really the best rock'roll orchestra. The set list up to now included the best works that had been flawlessly played by all.

Mark Knopfler 1993- 2019      Golden heart tour

The best band he has put together throughout his solo career.
The 1996 concert could be defined as 'Mark with his guitars', from SOS to TR to F&S to TLHW from Rudiger to WOL he was really like 'a rolling river'.
The band of that time was assisted by the fabulous Electra Strings which enriched the sound in some parts of the show, but it was a concert in which you felt that Les Paul got everywhere, the Pensa-Surh was 'mistreated' for good.
The folk side of the show was basically Bonaparte and Night in summer but nothing more.
In subsequent tours he added new extraordinary songs, but the concert in the later tours gradually faded, adding violins, brass and flutes to an ever-increasing weight.

:thumbsup

OfflineVincent Rapide

• Guitar George
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2019, 02:22:51 PM »

Les Paul got everywhere, the Pensa-Surh was 'mistreated' for good.

:thumbsup

I agree with a lot of what you've said.

But I do believe MK dropping the Pensa-Suhr and start playing a genuine 58 Burst was one of the best moves he ever made. Such a richer sound for many of the iconic songs and solos.

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #62 on: June 30, 2019, 03:44:25 PM »
At least I remember some of Mike H's playing from listening to bootlegs in the past. I rarely remember anything from Richard, even though he has been with Mark for ages. But, if you want to see MK only and everything else should be in the background, "to support The Great Master", then I guess that's how it should be? Personally, I prefer the band approach, where each member fills a role and is equal to whoever they're on stage with. Like, Dire Straits was a BAND, not Mark with some random people he could use for recording purposes and live gigs.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #63 on: June 30, 2019, 08:08:03 PM »
Mike was out after one tour. Maybe he was a good guitar player, but it sounded like he wanted his own band, he was all over the place. I prefer Richard.

IMHO, DS was much more MK+people who were told what to play, than what we have now. It doesn't matter if the band had a name, I think this band is much more of a band than ever, in the sense of feeding off each other, listening to each other and being mates.

Offlinedannr1

• Camerado
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2019, 09:16:17 PM »
Mike was out after one tour. Maybe he was a good guitar player, but it sounded like he wanted his own band, he was all over the place. I prefer Richard.

IMHO, DS was much more MK+people who were told what to play, than what we have now. It doesn't matter if the band had a name, I think this band is much more of a band than ever, in the sense of feeding off each other, listening to each other and being mates.
So true!

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2019, 11:03:54 PM »
It's not the "MK + random people" I hear when I listen to the albums with Alan Clark. I guess he was/is a bit like Mike: wants to be heard. And it's a good thing, really. He added alot to the songs, and they wouldn't be half of what they are if he didn't put his signature on them. Alan would be in my "best MK band", if not for the fact that he seemed to refuse to be Marks puppet. Dictatorship is never a good thing, also in Rock'n'roll.

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #66 on: July 01, 2019, 09:25:32 AM »
...Which is why I like MK even more today than with DS. So much bitterness?
I hope you have had the chance to see some shows this tour, it's simply amazing  :D

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #67 on: July 01, 2019, 10:08:56 AM »
It's not the "MK + random people" I hear when I listen to the albums with Alan Clark. I guess he was/is a bit like Mike: wants to be heard.

Alan Clark is another issue, but I did enjoy his contribution to DS.  Regarding Mike Henderson wanting to be heard - he certainly did that, to the point that he almost drowned MK at the concert I attended!   
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #68 on: July 01, 2019, 10:13:37 AM »
I don't think its possible, or fair to try and give a serious answer to this question really. Its like 2 constantly moving points on a graph, Mark and his music has changed, some would say evolved, and we all have changed and evolved. What gave me enjoyment as a 16 year old was different than when I was 28, and now in my 40s its different again. I need more subtle music to grab my attention these days, less bluster. And of course again all of us are different each with our own changing tastes. I cant begin to compare early DS (the first music I really heard and was passionate about) with what marks doing now, but it does make you think about the way we age and change....

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2019, 11:32:18 AM »

First up it's great that you enjoyed the 2019 shows so much.I wish I had got as much out of them.
I don't believe that this band is the friendliest he has been involved with.I don't think you can ever beat the camararderie and hunger of a new band,desperate to be heard and experiencing the highs and lows for the first time.
The current line up never seems to get out of second gear and overburdens most of the songs.The only improvement I can see and hear is that of Danny.
The musical appeal of MK is his unique guitar sounds and this tour has far too few.I don't want to pay over 100 Euros to hear a brass section ruining yet another song.
Other than Danny the other big plus is affable MK.
Some more stories would be great and I'd definitely pay over 100 Euros for a Just Me and My Guitar tour.No need for all his buddies from the current tour,maybe just Jim-Guy can film it:)

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2019, 11:02:49 AM »
To me this is indeed the best band he’s had. However, they’re not always that good.
A few examples:
- Into speeding on some tunes making the band sound less tight, and those added ‘last word’ endings after an already proper ending of a song on almost every song (sounds almost amateurish to me)
- Jim being so bored with only getting to play solos on silly songs like IUTC and CBC and being obsessed with playing different every time resulting in progressively wackier and wilder solos the extend that it just isn’t good anymore
- Glenn really got problems with his intonation on the big bass, just listen to any version of Bonaparte from this tour to hear how off he is so many times making the song almost unlistenable at times
- John’s playing isn’t melodically as inventive, original and interesting as Mike’s, also he seems to have some problems with intonation with high notes on the fiddle and he’s got some timing issues when strumming stringed intruments as sometimes is notacible on CBC
- Mike making mistakes on the pipes on many occasions last tour on F&S
- Richard plays the exact same strat solo on R&J since 1996 which baffles me and still it doesn’t sound confident at times
- Guy never does anything else on the keys than filling the soundstage, nothing technically challenging and when he does do a solo like with the hillbillies or in BIA a few tours back it is always free of inspired improvisation and out of the nerve of playing a solo he speeds on many occasions
- Graeme hasn’t played a single good solo from start to finish on OES to date as far as I’m aware of. Always timing errors, notes that are out of key and by far the worst of all are those long way too high notes that he tries to reach and that really hurt my ears

Negativity mode off now. I think this band is fantastic and I really enjoyed the one concert I attended this tour in Antwerp.

Really interesting post.
I completely agree re Jim and weird solos. I remember listening to different recordings of Marbletown in 2015. Jim tended to end up getting two “spots” in the playout of the song and towards the end of the tour, I remember it sounding like he was trying to emulate the whacky solo on the end of Bowie’s Aladdin Sane. Quite a few of his bits on this tour sound like that too.

Re John and Mike. I love them both. They recently played in a pub that’s local to me and I only found out a couple of days after it happened grrrrrr. It does seem that they were “the latest thing” a few years ago. I remember a post on Guy’s forum a few years ago (pre Nigel or Graeme) where someone asked him about what the chances were of having a sax player in the band. I searched for the question recently and can’t find it but I recall his reply running something along the lines of “it would be nice on some songs but he’d end up playing tambourine 90% of the time.” The irony is that John and Mike are playing more percussion in this tour than ever before.

Danny-I love Danny and when I met him I thought he was so friendly and easy to talk to. To be honest, if you think of the whole world of MK as an industry or a business, then there must be professionalism involved as there is in any job. If Glenn asked for a new drummer then really, as fans, we shouldn’t know about it. That information should be kept among Mark and management. Hard to give an analogy as I’m a teacher so can’t relate to many jobs but if I put in a “complaint” (for want of a better word) against one of my colleagues then I’d hardly expect the parents of my children (as stakeholders and customers) to ever know about it.

I’m not a drummer and don’t want to give an opinion on who is better but Ianto doesn’t seem to pay much attention and, as already stated, he fees the need to have the last word on every song which I feel shows immaturity.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 12:55:08 PM by MagicElliott »

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2019, 02:22:32 PM »
The best band for me would be a band in which the musicians would have a say in the setlist and in the orchestration of the songs. It would make for some change.

I would love if Richard took more liberties in the few spaces he has for instance, he is the man for the job but it’s because he is a great guy that I keep him.

I loved Chad Cromwell's drumming, I could not explain why. It bothers me that he was chucked but there must be a reason for that, anyway I would take him.

Danny is the man when percussions are concerned.

I guess you need an unassuming guy like Guy in any band for the not so flashy job of making the others shine plus he can fix your bike or watch

I simply love Jim Cox to such an extent that I listen to the new Postcard with great pleasure and I did download 60+ shows from 2015 just to listen to his wonderful improvisation in ... Marbletown
His playing can improve any songs for me. Ah the sultans breakdowns in 1996…

Glenn is not Pastorius but he is what this band needs and it would be really great if Mark had the same dedication when practice is concerned.

The folkies are a perfect combination of cool and skill and musicianship so it’s Mike and John for me plus I don’t know of any other pair.

The horn section, I couldn’t tell, I’ve always thought that MK’s music didn’t need horns. Horns are okay on a song or two but they are not needed in ALL the songs. I understand you can’t have paid musicians just for 2 or 3 song in a show but in this case why not play songs in which sax or trumpet were originally meant to be.
That tour I expected Heavy up, Good on you, my parties, Radio city, El Matcho… etc

There would be so many ways to please aficionados like us. Simply by playing Romeo as an encore would we be pleased. It’s how much we have learned not to expect too much.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.043 seconds with 39 queries.