Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Communique  (Read 8447 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Communique
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2019, 05:58:47 PM »
Do you remember when talking about dreaming set list people usually put songs like OUATITW between that desired songs?

This is the nowadays MK, not the one from DS and this is what you would get.

Actually, I liked the OUATITW version a lot.

Yes, I do remember and although the MK version is slower, I'm still enjoying it, especially live in concert.    :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineGuitarChris

• Guitar George
  • We are the Sultans, we are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2019, 06:15:56 PM »
Do you remember when talking about dreaming set list people usually put songs like OUATITW between that desired songs?

Yes this version is great. I like it much more than the album version. And I like the sound of the Gibson more than the Schecter on the Alchemy version. The Gibson has more power. It is a large present that they played this song in this nice version after so many years. For me one of the highlights of this tour. Never expected to hear it live.
Owner of a Fender Stratocaster Mark Knopfler Signature

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2019, 06:26:30 PM »
Well if MFN is shining like a Northern star this tour I'd better keep quiet!
However for me mumbling a few words,making some up and not bothering with the rest is BAD(and not in the good way!)
I will concede the percussion is vg on it and the guitar is decent but the lack of coherent vocals are a big put off for me.It is this tours Skydiver.
However this thread is about Communique and what a great album it is.He would go on and write better songs but as an album it is so easy to just lay back and soak in ALL that Communique has to offer.It is debatable he ever achieved this again.

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2019, 06:30:18 PM »

Yes this version is great. I like it much more than the album version. And I like the sound of the Gibson more than the Schecter on the Alchemy version. The Gibson has more power. It is a large present that they played this song in this nice version after so many years. For me one of the highlights of this tour. Never expected to hear it live.
I would imagine he is using the Gibson because it has a shorter scale and is easier on his fingers(less stretching.)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2019, 06:38:48 PM »
@ wakeywakey - You didn't answer my question about whether you have been to a show yet and if so, which one?     ;)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2019, 06:42:07 PM »
He's using the Gibson because his playing is not that excellent to play with a clean sound fender and a noisy Gibson would do a better job.

He's playing his fender very little and when he does it it uses effects with distortion instead of his usual clean sound.

I guess he feels more comfortable with that distortion sound. I don't like it but it's what it is.

Communiqué was a great fender record. Old times.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2019, 06:44:18 PM »
The thing that I have noticed about the lyrics of MFN is that he seems to alternate between "earring and make-up on" and make-up and earring on" and it seems to befuddle him a bit!   ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2019, 06:46:07 PM »
The thing that I have noticed about the lyrics of MFN is that he seems to alternate between "earring and make-up on" and make-up and earring on" and it seems to befuddle him a bit!   ;D

He can't remember his lyrics and despite wearing glasses he can't read the lyrics in the teleprompter either...

OfflineGuitarChris

• Guitar George
  • We are the Sultans, we are the Sultans of Swing
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2019, 06:48:47 PM »
However for me mumbling a few words,making some up and not bothering with the rest is BAD(and not in the good way!)
I will concede the percussion is vg on it and the guitar is decent but the lack of coherent vocals are a big put off for me.It is this tours Skydiver.
However this thread is about Communique and what a great album it is.He would go on and write better songs but as an album it is so easy to just lay back and soak in ALL that Communique has to offer.It is debatable he ever achieved this again.

I can't stand why people are moaning about this tour. We all know the band we see is not Dire Straits and we all know MK is not in his twenties. We can be very happy that he is still touring with his 69 years. He does not need the money. He plays many Dire Straits songs and fantastic songs of his solo career. The singing sounds much better than on the previous tours. They did very nice new arrangements and play songs in other ways than in previous tours. Everybody can see that he has much fun.

If he plays the Gibson because it is easier to play it is ok. It sounds great. That is the main purpose.

So what should he do? Should he play the Live at the BBC, Alchemy and On The Night in one concert to make everybody happy?
Owner of a Fender Stratocaster Mark Knopfler Signature

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2019, 07:26:42 PM »
the exact anniversary date is June 15th. I am currently writing a (french) chronicle, and will post it that day

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2019, 07:34:00 PM »

I can't stand why people are moaning about this tour. We all know the band we see is not Dire Straits and we all know MK is not in his twenties. We can be very happy that he is still touring with his 69 years. He does not need the money. He plays many Dire Straits songs and fantastic songs of his solo career. The singing sounds much better than on the previous tours. They did very nice new arrangements and play songs in other ways than in previous tours. Everybody can see that he has much fun.

If he plays the Gibson because it is easier to play it is ok. It sounds great. That is the main purpose.

So what should he do? Should he play the Live at the BBC, Alchemy and On The Night in one concert to make everybody happy?

No, that would be a big disaster!!!!!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2019, 07:37:09 PM »
the exact anniversary date is June 15th. I am currently writing a (french) chronicle, and will post it that day

Wikipedia also 15.06 but my source: 5.06 :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »

Wikipedia also 15.06 but my source: 5.06 :)

Which source?

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2019, 07:54:27 PM »
Our source :) For example, a tour book. And also an old site with a very accurate history of DS. Unfortunately, this page is closed
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 08:33:48 PM »
OUATITW is great sounding live in the venue.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 36 queries.