Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Why do you think it's so hard to imitate Mark's guitar playing?  (Read 7655 times)

Offlinejohnanton

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Hi there!  :wave

I'm curios what other guitar players / members of the forum have to say about this?

What makes it so hard to imitate Mark's guitar playing?

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
Re: Why do you think it's so hard to imitate Mark's guitar playing?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2019, 11:20:42 PM »
His fingers.
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 07:57:23 AM »
Read this about Gilmours take on MK.
https://classicsdujour.com/new-mark-knopfler-david-gilmour-tells-me-what-happened-when-he-lent-mark-his-amps/
Sweet, despite being a HUGE Gilmour fan, I had never before read this

sent from my Samsung Galaxy 9+ via tapatalk

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinejohnanton

• Guitar George

Offlinejohnanton

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 08:08:26 AM »
His fingers.

Can you please elaborate on this? do you mean he has strong fingers, or the way his fingers are built ?
or his claw style?  several other players are using fingers ( john mayer for example , he's very good with the fingers) . so what makes Mark so special?

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 08:30:34 AM »
His fingers.

Can you please elaborate on this? do you mean he has strong fingers, or the way his fingers are built ?
or his claw style?  several other players are using fingers ( john mayer for example , he's very good with the fingers) . so what makes Mark so special?

It has to do with a lot of things like his thumb coming down to the high strings, the specific parts of his fingers that he uses to articulate notes (this comes down to millimeters, somewhere he mentioned the fleshy part of his thimb), hitting the same string with thumb+finger, strong and specific vibrato, etc.

Checkout this video:
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 08:34:07 AM by TheTimeWasWrong »

hunter

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 08:34:01 AM »
Read this about Gilmours take on MK.
https://classicsdujour.com/new-mark-knopfler-david-gilmour-tells-me-what-happened-when-he-lent-mark-his-amps/

Which charity event was it that Gilmour referred to?

From the article:

"David was doing a gig somewhere for a charity and there were a number of musicians invited.  He had brought all his gear, which you can imagine is quite sophisticated and designed to give him that signature Pink Floyd sound (most professional guitar players have their unique rigs built to achieve this for their live performances).[/size]Well, Knopfler had showed up for the show with only his guitar and asked David if he could borrow his rig and amps to play out of.  David said, of course but sat with his guitar tech, Phil Taylor, watching as both worried that Knopfler couldn’t help but sound like David Gilmour/Pink Floyd, and how weird that might be."

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 10:07:22 AM »
I think they have that wrong, it was a TV show, French & Saunders, a comedy skit. Mark and David were there with Lemmy, Mark King, and Garry More. It is on YouTube.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 10:29:34 AM »
It's a good question and the one that has no simple answer... or any answer.

Don't forget that "Mark's guitar playing" is not something he invented single handedly, it has elements of J.J. Cale, Chet Atkins, B.B. King etc... From my understanding, the term "it sounds like Dire Straits" originated long after Dire Straits debut album and everybody was like: it sounds like J.J. Cale, Chet Atkins, B.B. King etc... He got extremely lucky since he was born in the right time and in the right place, which obviously nobody can imitate. When I was a kid I wanted to play on every guitar with my fingers long before I knew who Mark Knopfler is, I just dig the sound like he digs it, so it's not so much of a unique idea to say the least.

Nobody can imitate someone's guitar playing or songwriting, but if you're talking about "sounding like MK", it's hard because it rely more on skill rather than on gear (same thing with many many many of great players, by the way). But you can start to "sound like MK" by taking a Stratocaster guitar, any Strat out of the box and engaging bridge and middle pickups on any amp. It's like if you want to sound like Django you buy a Selmer-Maccaferri style guitar and boom — you sound exactly like Django!

I don't think that it's really hard to imitate Mark's guitar playing as much as it has no purpose, because he already sounds like MK enough. It makes sense if only you're going to become so great that like with Mark himself, everybody will forget you imitating and remember you becoming yourself, but it's hard to do, because MK is a genius and that's really what is hard to imitate.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 10:34:04 AM »
I think they have that wrong, it was a TV show, French & Saunders, a comedy skit. Mark and David were there with Lemmy, Mark King, and Garry More. It is on YouTube.
Possibly. Must check other charity events..

any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

hunter

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 10:42:51 AM »

I don't think Gilmour would have brought his tech and all his fancy gear for the French and Saunders production. The guy who wrote the article spoke to Gilmour face to face, and I have hard time believing he would have gotten those details so wrong. Maybe email the writer?

ADD: I just emailed the writer. Will update with info if he answers.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 10:58:12 AM by hunter »

hunter

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 10:48:03 AM »
It's a good question and the one that has no simple answer... or any answer.

Don't forget that "Mark's guitar playing" is not something he invented single handedly, it has elements of J.J. Cale, Chet Atkins, B.B. King etc... From my understanding, the term "it sounds like Dire Straits" originated long after Dire Straits debut album and everybody was like: it sounds like J.J. Cale, Chet Atkins, B.B. King etc... He got extremely lucky since he was born in the right time and in the right place, which obviously nobody can imitate. When I was a kid I wanted to play on every guitar with my fingers long before I knew who Mark Knopfler is, I just dig the sound like he digs it, so it's not so much of a unique idea to say the least.

Nobody can imitate someone's guitar playing or songwriting, but if you're talking about "sounding like MK", it's hard because it rely more on skill rather than on gear (same thing with many many many of great players, by the way). But you can start to "sound like MK" by taking a Stratocaster guitar, any Strat out of the box and engaging bridge and middle pickups on any amp. It's like if you want to sound like Django you buy a Selmer-Maccaferri style guitar and boom — you sound exactly like Django!

I don't think that it's really hard to imitate Mark's guitar playing as much as it has no purpose, because he already sounds like MK enough. It makes sense if only you're going to become so great that like with Mark himself, everybody will forget you imitating and remember you becoming yourself, but it's hard to do, because MK is a genius and that's really what is hard to imitate.

Agree with all of this. Mark's technique may be a little unusual, but it's not that different from other fingerpickers. And the things he plays are not very difficult for advanced players. It's Mark's feel and musicality that are the hard part to copy, but then we are talking about copying someone's personality, and why would anyone do that (unless you're in a tribute band and has to get things down note for note)?

OfflineBanjo99uk

• Romeo
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 12:49:57 PM »

I don't think Gilmour would have brought his tech and all his fancy gear for the French and Saunders production. The guy who wrote the article spoke to Gilmour face to face, and I have hard time believing he would have gotten those details so wrong. Maybe email the writer?

Could it be Knebworth. They both played that.

hunter

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 12:57:28 PM »

Could it be Knebworth. They both played that.

I had a look at YouTube, and you can clearly see Soldano amps on the stage. Both Mark and Eric used those at the time. Don't think Gilmour did.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 43 queries.