Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Setlists - were they less static before?  (Read 5963 times)

hunter

Setlists - were they less static before?
« on: August 21, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »
I know we complain a lot about the static setlists, but hasn't this been the case with Mark all the way back to the DS days? Obviously in the early days it had to be static because of fewer songs written, but how was it during the BIA and OES tours, for instance? Was it the same as now in that there was a bit variation/testing early on and then the setlist became, more or less, set in stone?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 10:46:27 AM by hunter »

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: Setlists - were they less static before?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
KTGC tour was quite static too.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineolazabalrok

• Camerado
  • don't burn the pig
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »
The basic structure has always been static, even to the point of the solos being pretty much composed leaving no room for improvisation.

OfflinePortobelloBelle

• Guitar George
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
Saw quite a few OES shows and there weren't too many surprises. Biggest question was "Tunnel or Telegraph"?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 12:30:58 PM »
Saw quite a few OES shows and there weren't too many surprises. Biggest question was "Tunnel or Telegraph"?

Well that was a nice surprise and I wish we had that one now!  Today it's Speedway and whether he's going to play it well tonight or not. 

Of course for the majority of the OES tour there was variation, it was only when it reached the 2nd European leg in April 1992 that it settled down.  Prior to that they were playing PONO, WICTY, SMU, ITILYTM, Y&YF...all sorts.  Some of these actually survived until the end, although were played with less frequency.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 12:37:54 PM by dmg »
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 12:42:49 PM »

Well that was a nice surprise and I wish we had that one now!  Today it's Speedway and whether he's going to play it well tonight or not. 

Of course for the majority of the OES tour there was variation, it was only when it reached the 2nd European leg in April 1992 that it settled down.  Prior to that they were playing PONO, WICTY, SMU, ITILYTM, Y&YF...all sorts.  Some of these actually survived until the end, although were played with less frequency.

Actually, pretty close to the last shows there were surprises like "I think I love you too much" in Milano, for example...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:50:26 PM »

Actually, pretty close to the last shows there were surprises like "I think I love you too much" in Milano, for example...

...and Y&YF in both Milan and Barcelona in October, although with less frequency than in '91 and early '92 when every show had at least one.

OfflinePierre

• Camerado
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2019, 04:31:38 PM »
It's not so much that setlists are static during a specific tour, that wouldn't bother me if they did evolve more between tours.

The overall structure of a MK set has never really evolve for ….ages
it goes like this (for me)

4-6 songs (1 or 2 from the new record, 3 if very lucky) (1 "surprise")
romeo
sultans
bonaparte
3 songs (maybe 1 from the new record and usually 1 "surprise")
postcard
speedway
telegraph
1 famous song or 2 from BIA, usually SFA
going home

Basicaly you just have to fill in the blank spaces with (marbletown, hillfamer, corned beef, what it is)

you get an average of 3 songs from the last record and maybe 1 or 2 real surprises.

We are used to it but I wish setlist would be shaken up a bit.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2019, 05:05:59 PM »
It's not so much that setlists are static during a specific tour, that wouldn't bother me if they did evolve more between tours.

The overall structure of a MK set has never really evolve for ….ages
it goes like this (for me)

4-6 songs (1 or 2 from the new record, 3 if very lucky) (1 "surprise")
romeo
sultans
bonaparte
3 songs (maybe 1 from the new record and usually 1 "surprise")
postcard
speedway
telegraph
1 famous song or 2 from BIA, usually SFA
going home

Basicaly you just have to fill in the blank spaces with (marbletown, hillfamer, corned beef, what it is)

you get an average of 3 songs from the last record and maybe 1 or 2 real surprises.

We are used to it but I wish setlist would be shaken up a bit.

Nobody can argue with any of that.  Even the new songs have a same sort of feel to the old ones they replaced:

Matchstick Man for Haul Away
Bacon Roll for Skydiver
Nobody Does That for Broken Bones

The set in Barcelona was pretty good but that was never going to last.  It was unfortunate that it was arguably the best songs they decided to drop.

Offlinepeterromer

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2019, 08:55:37 AM »
This tour we got Silvertown Blues, at least some times. Which was absolutely superb in my opinion. I love that track.

Cheers Peter

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2019, 11:29:03 AM »
It's quite strange to expect drastic setlist changes from a man who answers to questions in interviews the same way for 40 years or something :lol
For Mark to answer different questions there should be other questions, for him to play different setlists there should be another audience.
And sure enough, on more intimate shows (Boothbay, 09/09/09, Private Bank show, Volkswagen premiere, etc.) you get a new setlist :lol

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »
It's quite strange to expect drastic setlist changes from a man who answers to questions in interviews the same way for 40 years or something :lol
For Mark to answer different questions there should be other questions, for him to play different setlists there should be another audience.
And sure enough, on more intimate shows (Boothbay, 09/09/09, Private Bank show, Volkswagen premiere, etc.) you get a new setlist :lol

Next time I launch a new van I'll get him to play TOL and you're all invited! Well, most of you.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2019, 03:17:38 PM »
Don't blame Mark for answering the questions put to him the same way for 40 years!! It is the fault of the lazy person asking the same silly questions!! "What inspired you to write Money For Nothing Mark?" really? is that question STILL being asked among other equally silly questions. I am sure most of us fans would ask far more interesting questions given the chance.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
Don't blame Mark for answering the questions put to him the same way for 40 years!! It is the fault of the lazy person asking the same silly questions!! "What inspired you to write Money For Nothing Mark?" really? is that question STILL being asked among other equally silly questions. I am sure most of us fans would ask far more interesting questions given the chance.

Exactly!
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2019, 06:06:13 PM »

I've managed to catch the same actress (can't remember who) on TV being interviewed for the 2nd time in 2 days promoting her new film and she gave the same stories and answers as the previous day.  I remember thinking she must've been watching our Mark!  I suppose most do it, not just Mark.

In fairness the interviewer has to ask the big questions people want to hear and most people will only hear one interview, not every single one.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 2.292 seconds with 40 queries.