Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #11 DTRW TOUR - May 10 2019 - Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy #SPOILER#  (Read 39499 times)

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
"Mark seems to feel like an actor in a piece of theatre"

Exactly. I wrote about it earlier.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
FULL SHOW - great audio, good video, Could anyone transcribe the long speeches perfectly ?

« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 03:00:06 PM by PensaGhost »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinefollowmehome217

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
I'm really digging the setlist actually.  Except does anyone know why he doesn't play Sultans anymore?  Maybe I missed something but I feel like he would have to play it considering it's looking like his last tour.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
I'm really digging the setlist actually.  Except does anyone know why he doesn't play Sultans anymore?  Maybe I missed something but I feel like he would have to play it considering it's looking like his last tour.

He can't play that kind of guitar playing demanding songs anymore.

He tried with TR but he realized he had to stop playing it as well.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

"Can't" and "realized he had to stop" ... We don't know the reasons for sure, but physical limitations is a theory.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler

"Can't" and "realized he had to stop" ... We don't know the reasons for sure, but physical limitations is a theory.

It's true, probably he stopped for any other reasons like... he rather play Bonaparte and Paraguay. But he can play that fast and well if he wants.

Ps/ No, that was just irony. Mk can't deliver a good Sultans and a good TR and he knows, that's why he didn't try Sultans and why he stopped playing TR.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 11:10:39 AM by jbaent »
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

It's true, probably he stopped for any other reasons like... he rather play Bonaparte and Paraguay. But he can play that fast and well if he wants.

Ps/ No, that was just irony. Mk can't deliver a good Sultans and a good TR and he knows, that's why he didn't try Sultans and why he stopped playing TR.

It's a LIKELY explanation, but Mark is weird when it comes to setlists. Point is, you can't say for certain "that's why".

Edit: I want to add that I am happy he has decided not play Sultans. He has played enough crappy versions of it.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
I just don't believe that "he can't play" the fast songs anymore, I have just re-watched the Soundbreaking documentary again, which was only from 3 years ago, he was playing some fast stuff then, but I feel it is a combination of Mark putting most of his efforts towards songwriting more than playing the guitar plus age related health issues (arthritis maybe?) that is the factor, he has been playing as a professional musician for most of adult life, so you don't loose that ability he has, yes it can go rusty, but the ability and desire to play that way can and does wane. Mark is in a very lucky position in that he can do it all to a very high standard, he doesn't just have to rely on his guitar playing to get him through, like Eric Clapton for example, Eric has to keep his live playing good, because he can't fall back on great song writing, same with someone like Joe Satriani. I think this is backed up by the fact he said he was looking for a Jazz teacher, although he may have been teasing with that ;) Another big factor I think is since Chet Atkins died, Mark doesn't have to keep his playing to a very high level to keep up with Chet, for Mark, Chet was as good as it got for guitar playing, and after Chet there is nothing for him to prove anymore.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

hunter

My impression is that, with Mark, it's not only a question about rustiness and physical ability when he decides to drop songs. I think just as important is whether he is into the song, whether he feels it does something for him and to some extent for the audience. I've said it before, but Mark is not the type of performer who can go on stage and pretend and put on a slick performance, like a professional actor. What you see is what you get, for better or worse. How many Sultans have we not witnessed where it seems he is bored out of his mind? So, for whatever reason he decides to not play certain songs, I think we should be happy about it.

OfflineVesper

• Lady writer

Thank you almighty jbaent, for informing us simple souls what MK's reasons are.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
My impression is that, with Mark, it's not only a question about rustiness and physical ability when he decides to drop songs. I think just as important is whether he is into the song, whether he feels it does something for him and to some extent for the audience. I've said it before, but Mark is not the type of performer who can go on stage and pretend and put on a slick performance, like a professional actor. What you see is what you get, for better or worse. How many Sultans have we not witnessed where it seems he is bored out of his mind? So, for whatever reason he decides to not play certain songs, I think we should be happy about it.

I agree :thumbsup
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRNRS001

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
I think that indeed, he can't anymore. Both Telegraph Road and Sultans of Swing have become rather dull when it comes to guitarwork. These guitarsolo's used to come with ease yet all it's become is mindless noodling around with the occasional memorable recognizable licks. He was capable of building a great guitar solo in Telegraph Road but he just sounds bored out of his mind. It happens with a lot of bands who've played the same songs for 30 years. Eventually they'll get boring and you'll wind up playing on autopilot.

I reckon with the mindset he has nowadays on top of the physical limitations it's just no longer that feasable to him. The guitar heavy Dire Straits songs have all been dropped as have the solo stuff with the faster licks. He's letting the songs speak as opposed to the guitarwork. It doesn't always work for me as I think the shows lacks fire but alas, there's not much you can do about it.

Offlinefarco

• Guitar George
Re: #11 DTRW TOUR - May 10 2019 - Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy #SPOILER#
« Reply #117 on: June 10, 2019, 09:54:45 PM »

OfflineMagicElliott

• Camerado
Re: #11 DTRW TOUR - May 10 2019 - Mediolanum Forum, Milan, Italy #SPOILER#
« Reply #118 on: August 25, 2023, 10:26:59 PM »
Was listening to the WAM from this show tonight, it’s a quality arrangement.

Ian’s drumming in the intro is fantastic and a bit different from normal (I think)

https://youtu.be/K3Cb6xGsL9w?si=lhh6_o54o_nqMngX

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 43 queries.