Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: #71 DTRW TOUR - Sep 03 2019 - Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN, United States  (Read 16741 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: #71 DTRW TOUR - Sep 03 2019 - Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN, United States
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2019, 09:23:47 PM »
Which frustration?

Reality.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: #71 DTRW TOUR - Sep 03 2019 - Ryman Auditorium, Nashville, TN, United States
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2019, 10:14:32 PM »
I would not say Mark is a lazy person. Not so long ago he was still playing 6 nights in a row.

He may behave on a lower scale than some of us expect from him but nobody here has full knowledge of how well or bad Mark really is despite his Diva aspect.

Frustration is not a good fuel for posting on a forum.

Totally agree.

Having and posting opinions are great, but the accusatory tone, calling someone lazy, when not in possession of the full facts is over the line....

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2019, 11:14:53 PM »
I would not say Mark is a lazy person. Not so long ago he was still playing 6 nights in a row.

He may behave on a lower scale than some of us expect from him but nobody here has full knowledge of how well or bad Mark really is despite his Diva aspect.

Totally agree.

Having and posting opinions are great, but the accusatory tone, calling someone lazy, when not in possession of the full facts is over the line....

:thumbsup
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2019, 11:51:30 PM »

Totally agree.

It IS lazy. That's not over the line. He says himself that he is so I don't have a problem quoting that. Besides, if that's already over the line then we should get back to the other forum where you get banned for being critical. I'm always positive, for one time I don't praise the man and its over the line. Please...... And for the record: when have we ever known all the facts regarding to MK? Never. If that's a point then there is zero discussion possible.

Edits: typo
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 11:55:47 PM by holaknopfler »
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #49 on: September 07, 2019, 12:25:28 AM »

Totally agree.

It IS lazy. That's not over the line. He says himself that he is so I don't have a problem quoting that. Besides, if that's already over the line then we should get back to the other forum where you get banned for being critical. I'm always positive, for one time I don't praise the man and its over the line. Please...... And for the record: when have we ever known all the facts regarding to MK? Never. If that's a point then there is zero discussion possible.

Apologies if you took offence at what I said.

I'm not trying to stop anyone discussing anything and it's not just your 'Lazy' comment that I was referencing. I'm just saying it's a bit much to call in to question a 70 year old artists motives without really knowing the true extent of his or her situation.

By all means dislike what you hear, what you see,  express opinions, whatever. I just think we all have to remember that it is our choice to listen to and follow any given artist(s), and said individual(s) owe us nothing in return....
« Last Edit: September 07, 2019, 12:30:35 AM by 2manyguitars »

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #50 on: September 07, 2019, 12:39:57 AM »
Which frustration?

Reality.

The one I got in 2013 for example  :think
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #51 on: September 07, 2019, 08:48:28 AM »

Totally agree.

The full fact is that he recognized to be lazy over the years.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: September 07, 2019, 09:23:38 AM »

Totally agree.

He is British. It’s not ment literally. It’s an overstatement. He is just being modest.

Offlineholaknopfler

• Setlist Hero
  • Romeo
« Reply #53 on: September 07, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »

Totally agree.

Apologies if you took offence at what I said.

I'm not trying to stop anyone discussing anything and it's not just your 'Lazy' comment that I was referencing. I'm just saying it's a bit much to call in to question a 70 year old artists motives without really knowing the true extent of his or her situation.

By all means dislike what you hear, what you see,  express opinions, whatever. I just think we all have to remember that it is our choice to listen to and follow any given artist(s), and said individual(s) owe us nothing in return....

That last thing is true, too. I find it difficult to see he's getting old and that this probably will be his last big tour  where the opportunities to play with other people are there in front of their feet. Maybe its expectation next to reality  :)
If i was a Fender guitar, Fender painted red...

OfflineKnut

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: September 07, 2019, 09:57:24 AM »
If we don't know how well or bad he is, how can we be so sure that he's doing his best? There seems to be some assumptions here that he always does that, and I can't see how we can be so sure when the questions raised here are legitimate. I also wonder where Portobello Belle went, he used to always play it in Ireland. Is it more difficult to play than other songs?

What makes me frustrated is the thought of all the nice versions we could've had if he went with a different route than this "fixed setlist" thing. Especially the ones that are nice songs and not too hard to play. And especially with guests ;)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2019, 10:18:21 AM »

Totally agree.

He is British. It’s not ment literally. It’s an overstatement. He is just being modest.

I agree.  Mark has always been self-deprecating, including saying he's lazy. At the moment we don't know the full facts of what is wrong with him health-wise.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2019, 02:40:46 PM »
Exactly Val. Mark, has always played down his abilities, that is nothing new, he said in the past that he wouldn't call himself a guitar player!!! But the fact he has written and recorded so many songs in his solo career, that doesn't strike me as someone who is lazy. The only time he has cancelled a tour was because he had an accident on his bike, so, again not lazy. When I get to 70 I will be happy to be lazy.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #57 on: September 09, 2019, 06:26:31 PM »
Exactly Val. Mark, has always played down his abilities, that is nothing new, he said in the past that he wouldn't call himself a guitar player!!! But the fact he has written and recorded so many songs in his solo career, that doesn't strike me as someone who is lazy. The only time he has cancelled a tour was because he had an accident on his bike, so, again not lazy. When I get to 70 I will be happy to be lazy.

I must disagree because he certainly strikes me as being very lazy!  Maybe not in days gone by but in more recent years, especially when you consider music is something he loves and not a chore.  His refusal to rehearse new songs during the tour is one thing.  He could have taken it upon himself to try out more songs from the new album during the break between legs.  He could have played more from the new album instead of falling back on old favourites or play the less difficult new songs.  He doesn't spend so much time practicing playing any more or rehearsing for tours.  Many more examples...
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2019, 12:00:17 AM »

I must disagree because he certainly strikes me as being very lazy!  Maybe not in days gone by but in more recent years, especially when you consider music is something he loves and not a chore.  His refusal to rehearse new songs during the tour is one thing.  He could have taken it upon himself to try out more songs from the new album during the break between legs.  He could have played more from the new album instead of falling back on old favourites or play the less difficult new songs.  He doesn't spend so much time practicing playing any more or rehearsing for tours.  Many more examples...
I don’t think that’s because of lazyness at all, but because he chooses to. He seems to be occupied all the time, if you ask me. But with other tings, like making musicals and such. Of course he could have chosen differently, but he is who he is and does what he does.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.037 seconds with 36 queries.