Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Get Lucky album turned 10 years old today  (Read 8095 times)

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Get Lucky album turned 10 years old today
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2019, 05:14:39 PM »
Yes, I love GL too.  There are many beautiful songs on the album and the Get Lucky tour is still my favourite of all of the tours.  MK's playing was terrific and I'm still listening to the downloads, without any skipping, from Manchester, Brighton and Bournemouth.   :)
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2019, 06:31:54 PM »
Possibly his last great album, Privateering being particularly poor.  A number of skippers for me on this one though but on the other hand a number of true classics:

Border Reiver
Remembrance Day
So Far from the Clyde
Piper To the End

None of the bonus tracks are of note.

The tour was a disappointment and I felt it was where mark lost his inspiration during his soloing.  Any of his solos were played much the same from this point onward.  Much was said about his performances in 2008 (being below those of 2005) but at least he was trying new things in each show, however from the GL tour I was always feel it was a turning point.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2019, 06:57:47 PM »
And apparently this record had a song that is very good called "bonfire night" that was left out and shelved.

I recall Guy telling it was a gemm.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinevr46mk

• Lady writer
  • Early Bird
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2019, 07:30:28 PM »
And apparently this record had a song that is very good called "bonfire night" that was left out and shelved.

Same as Back In The Day then on DTRW? Doubt it gets a release, but who knows... Wasn't Secondary Waltz in the plans during the 90's before appearing in 2007?

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #19 on: September 15, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »
Secondary Waltz is on Golden Demos but it's a completely different version.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2019, 09:30:31 PM »

Same as Back In The Day then on DTRW? Doubt it gets a release, but who knows... Wasn't Secondary Waltz in the plans during the 90's before appearing in 2007?

There was another called gem from STP titled "bonafide" also shelved forever. It was even considered for the stp tour despite the fact it wasn't released...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2019, 09:30:59 PM »
Great album but the "super deluxe" box to get the bonus songs was a shame. 
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OnlineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2019, 10:32:16 PM »

There was another called gem from STP titled "bonafide" also shelved forever. It was even considered for the stp tour despite the fact it wasn't released...

There were more titles.

Two Skinny Kids
It's Been A While
Cold Turkey
You Note Even Gone
Don't Mean A Thing
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2019, 11:48:39 PM »
Although I think STP is his best, GL is the most important to me. I remember very clearly when the song Get Lucky was released and when the whole album was leaked. I had it on my phone when we were on holiday in August. For this reason I don’t put it on too often, it really touches me and brings back a lot of emotional memories. Wonderful record and amazing tour, he was really on fire the second night in Amsterdam, I still listen to the recording every now and then, superb R&J.

Exactly like my story, makes me think it's better to release an album in August. I mean, what a great month to release an album! For many countries it's still warm outside, it's still worth going on vacation, the sky is amazing, trees are green. September? Not so much... I was so happy that I got my hands on this album earlier than the actual release date. Because the memories are just insane!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2019, 11:04:50 AM »
For me, the month has nothing to do with it, if it's Mark Knopfler, I'm buying it, whatever the month.

But, I also can't believe 10 years have gone by since this album, and me seeing Mark in Brighton. Aswell as the great songs already mentioned, I would also mention the emotional Monteleone, a fantastic tribute song.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2019, 11:08:12 AM »
For me, the month has nothing to do with it, if it's Mark Knopfler, I'm buying it, whatever the month.

But, I also can't believe 10 years have gone by since this album, and me seeing Mark in Brighton. Aswell as the great songs already mentioned, I would also mention the emotional Monteleone, a fantastic tribute song.

Also, "Before Gas & TV".    A wonderful song!    :)   

Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2019, 12:25:15 PM »

I've always felt that to be one of his self-indulgent pieces and pretty crap at that.  He'd have been better off sending it to Monte personally.  The world doesn't need to know.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Love Expresso

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2019, 12:47:01 PM »

I've always felt that to be one of his self-indulgent pieces and pretty crap at that.  He'd have been better off sending it to Monte personally.  The world doesn't need to know.

I always found the lyrics great as they are about the connection between crafting and art. Plus maybe I am the only one but I always found a certain other sexual level in them. But that's just me maybe.  ;D

LE

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2019, 02:07:17 PM »

I always found the lyrics great as they are about the connection between crafting and art. Plus maybe I am the only one but I always found a certain other sexual level in them. But that's just me maybe.  ;D

LE

I remember Monteleone playing and walzing around the room with my husband on the day the album was released!  ;D
Goin' into Tow Law....

hunter

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2019, 02:16:36 PM »

Songs like that do nothing for me either. Musically it's pretty and well-crafted (as usual), but that's it. Lyrically it's a nice, albeit sappy, tribute to a living luthier legend, but rather irrelevant for most people:

The chisels are calling
It's time to make sawdust
Steely reminders of things left to do
Monteleone
A mandolin's waiting for you

My finger plane's working
Gentle persuasion
I bend to the wood and I coax it to sing

Monteleone
Your new one and only will ring
Monteleone
Your new one and only will ring

The rain on the window
The snow on the gravel
The seasons go by to the songs in the wood

Too quick or too careless
It all could unravel
It so easily could

The chisels are calling
It's back for an encore
Back to the shavings that cover the floor

Monteleone
A call for more
Monteleone
A call for more

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.042 seconds with 42 queries.