Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Shangri-La Tablature Book  (Read 2654 times)

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Shangri-La Tablature Book
« on: September 28, 2019, 12:28:16 PM »
Does anyone know if a tablature book was published for Shangri-La? I can't find the existence of one anywhere, new or used.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Shangri-La Tablature Book
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2019, 08:09:19 PM »
Does anyone know if a tablature book was published for Shangri-La? I can't find the existence of one anywhere, new or used.

No, there's no physical or downloadable sheet music book for some of the albums, Shangri-La is one of them. Last 3 albums also doesn't have a tab book.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2019, 08:26:35 PM »
Actually I did a review of every MK tab book and from what I saw they turned out not so great. Sometimes you can't even play the song if you follow the book.

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 09:43:12 AM »
Hi Pavel,
Thanks for your replies. I've not yet watched your review video but in the absence of accurate transcriptions, how lucky we are to have you providing lessons on YouTube. Thank you so much. Very funny for the replies to come from you. I actually wrote to you recently regarding Postcards From Paraguay struggling to understand how to mute the single notes though I'm getting there now . . . though strummed notes are still a challenge.  I'm currently also working through your lesson for Sailing To Philadelphia though it looks quite straight-forward and and will check out Get Lucky, though the "official" tab looks to be quite accurate . . . to my ears anyway. Thanks again.
Keep up the great work!
Mike
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 10:09:32 AM by mikethebook »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 11:52:06 AM »
Ah, this is really funny! Thank you, Mike. I'm sorry for my urge to be everywhere where transcribing music is being discussed, but it's what I love doing.

Get Lucky does seem to have a decent official tab, after all it was included in the Deluxe Edition on a piece of paper so it better be good.

The problem with that particular song though, as it's a basic Travis picking tune, it has variety. Each chord can be played in so many ways, the only thing that stays the same is the right hand bass notes played with the thumb. So I'd suggest getting familiar with the chords, the bass and just keep going without sheet music.

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 12:53:00 PM »
I understand your love of transcribing music. I used to do it for the low whistle until I had to give up the instrument. But, of course, that was easy compared to transcribing guitar music. Do you transcribe the music of other guitarist too? Much as I love Mark's music, few of his songs are really pure fingerpicking or travis picking tunes that will stand on their own on an acoustic guitar without vocals or backing music. Get Lucky, Philadelphia and Postcards are the only ones I can think of right now. Oh, In The Heartland too.

I'll take your advice regarding Get Lucky but will work through your video anyway. By the way, what transcription software do you use? I wondered whether you could possibly send me the file for Postcards so that I can add in the lyrics and make annotations. If you can't no problem. Thanks again.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2019, 01:05:00 PM by mikethebook »

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 02:03:05 PM »
Of course, I love transcribing in general, I won't be able to transcribe Mark's songs without transcribing hundreds of songs from other artists. However, I'm more interested in "chord" songs, if that's a word, more than in pure technical fingerpicking tunes. I'm able to do that, though, I've played anything from Tommy Emmanuel's "Mighty Mouse" and "Jack Magic" (ridiculous songs in terms of complexity and difficulty level) to Chet Atkins' rendition of Ave Maria, which is more like a classical guitar piece, but relatively easy one. I even played genuine classical guitar pieces like Sevilla by Isaac Albéniz, many other tunes. So I have quite an affection with this instrument :lol

I like Mark's songs, because they're extremely enjoyable to play, only assuming that you can sing, or at least mumble them through like I do. You know that Mark is not famous for his instrumental tunes, he's famous for songs and you just can't take the singing part off. For that reason, I don't care about "Money For Nothing" as just a riff, it's a song and you can only get the full joy of it if you learn it in full and sing it, not just playing the famous riff. And for the most part Mark's songs are easy to play, albeit having some extremely hard riffs sometimes, but also extremely logical and beautifully written.

I used to slow down the recording via various applications (Samplitude, Audacity, Logic, etc.), but by the time I developed my ears I almost don't care about slowing down anything anymore. In the older days people used to put coins on top of vinyl record to slow it down, by the way, I find it pretty funny.

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2019, 02:14:06 PM »
Wow! What a selection! I think I know what you mean by "chord" songs and I feel the same way. It's just that I like fingerstyle music and prefer to be picking the chords like in Postcards and Get Lucky rather than strumming them. But I like singing along too. I can manage Mark's gruff vocals but also like songs from people like Ralph McTell who sing over interesting travis or fingerstyle guitar rather than just strummed chords.

I asked you whether you would let me have the file for Postcards. Would you mind doing that, assuming I use the same transcription software of course?

Many thanks
Mike

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2019, 04:01:45 PM »

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2019, 04:09:43 PM »
Thanks, Pavel. Sorry, I didn't realise.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2019, 04:39:15 PM »
official tablatures are crap at best

if you want to improve your guitar playing, train your ears at least as much as your fingers
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 36 queries.