Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler's Other Band  (Read 2314 times)

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Mark Knopfler's Other Band
« on: September 29, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »
In some videos on YouTube from 2007 e.g. , Mark can be seen playing with a different and smaller band, though including of course Guy Fletcher. But what was the purpose of the band and who were the other members? Anyone know?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark Knopfler's Other Band
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 01:37:29 PM »
It's Mark's band for one-off shows, mostly promotional shows, sometimes a bigger ones like 09.09.09 Prince's Trust show. Stripped-down band which even forces Mark doing questionable arrangements of song for instance with Guy playing an awful synthesised accordion on "Done With Bonaparte". I guess that band is like 1000000 times less expensive to bring on stage than his regular touring band.

And to tell you the truth, I like that band more than his regular band. But I think I know the exact reason why I like this band more. Because whenever Mark plays with his "backup" band, the show almost always is being recorded professionally for television. So you can barely hear these guy having bad sound.

Mark's regular band, however, had its last live album back in 2006, which is laughable. They think you can just replace a live album with a recording of each show, but that honestly doesn't work. Not only because there's no picture, but mostly because live audio mix sounds dull compared with full live album production.

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:42:12 PM »
Thanks, Pavel. The recordings are good. Crystal clear sound and you get great close-ups of Mark's hands which probably helps you :) Any idea who the guitarist is?

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2019, 01:56:09 PM »
Thanks, Pavel. The recordings are good. Crystal clear sound and you get great close-ups of Mark's hands which probably helps you :) Any idea who the guitarist is?

The guitar player is Luke Brighty, bass player is Dudley Phillips. Outstanding musicians, I have to say. Dudley Phillips played the most beautiful bass line possible in "Sailing To Philadelphia", even almighty Glenn Worf can't beat his job on that song in my opinion. Yes, the quality of recordings is great, but close-up is not a cure-all, because you have to mostly rely on your ears anyway.

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2019, 02:03:18 PM »
Thank, Pavel.

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2019, 02:21:07 PM »
Of course Luke often made way for Robbie Mcintosh too....
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinemikethebook

• Guitar George
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2019, 02:24:53 PM »
Okay. Didn't know that. Thanks.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.049 seconds with 36 queries.