Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Sound quality of MK albums  (Read 6874 times)

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Sound quality of MK albums
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2019, 02:57:29 PM »
I find a difference between records produced by Chuck Ainlay and the ones by Guy Fletcher, the last two ones... Actually I like more the ones produced by Guy, but "Shangri-La" sound is wonderful and that one was Chuck's baby.

Chuck's work is so great that you can recognise his sound, this I think it's a mark of a great producer.  Love his work with MK so much...

Here's one of his most recent works, Glenn Worth plays on 6 tracks by the way!

hunter

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2019, 10:33:13 AM »
What i found is that the last two or three albums (and especially DTRW) are a little bit muddy/dull/unclear in the lower mid and bass frequencies. Does anybody have a clean/audiophile listening setup that can confirm this?

Overall, I'm not a big fan of the bass on Mark's solo albums, and I think it's a matter of production choices AND Glen Worf's style. I'd like the bass to be a bit more up front in the mix and clearer. I find Glen's way of playing 'strange', to be honest. I even prefer John Illsley over him. John has a simple style, but it feels much clearer. And more groovy. Especially live.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2019, 11:09:30 AM »
What i found is that the last two or three albums (and especially DTRW) are a little bit muddy/dull/unclear in the lower mid and bass frequencies. Does anybody have a clean/audiophile listening setup that can confirm this?

Overall, I'm not a big fan of the bass on Mark's solo albums, and I think it's a matter of production choices AND Glen Worf's style. I'd like the bass to be a bit more up front in the mix and clearer. I find Glen's way of playing 'strange', to be honest. I even prefer John Illsley over him. John has a simple style, but it feels much clearer. And more groovy. Especially live.

I always remember something Tony Levin said once. He was auditioning for a sessions and he was told "the artist wants a bassist that plays very little" and Tony said "I'm your man!"
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2019, 11:38:28 AM »

I'm inclined to agree.  GW has always sounded 'messy' to me.  Most of the time less is more.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2019, 11:48:13 AM »
I like the sound of Making Movies best.

hunter

« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2019, 12:33:43 PM »

I never quite liked MM. The production feels dated now and a bit flat. And I struggle with Mark's voice here. A bit like Dylan trying to sound like Springsteen.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2019, 12:38:27 PM »

I never quite liked MM. The production feels dated now and a bit flat. And I struggle with Mark's voice here. A bit like Dylan trying to sound like Springsteen.

It was produced by Jimmi Iovine, so it makes sense it sounds like that...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2019, 12:44:03 PM »

It was produced by Jimmi Iovine, so it makes sense it sounds like that...

Sure. It just feels as if Mark wasn't ready to deliver "arena rock songs" yet, but was trying very hard to.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2019, 11:09:40 PM »

I'm inclined to agree.  GW has always sounded 'messy' to me.  Most of the time less is more.

Interesting that you guys say that, because I agree. Obviously Glenn is a monster bass player and incredibly versatile musician, but not my favourite bass player. Even between bass players who played with Mark! I wish he would play more with Van Morrison's bass player, he's amazing (and played on the studio version of Done With Bonaparte, my favourite version of all time).

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 43 queries.