Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Tricky guitar lick from Brothers in Arms (Night in London)  (Read 2769 times)

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Tricky guitar lick from Brothers in Arms (Night in London)
« on: January 10, 2020, 11:08:07 PM »
I've spent some time with this wonderful version and I reckon this is its most difficult lick.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Tricky guitar lick from Brothers in Arms (Night in London)
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 04:14:18 PM »
Speaking from a teaching perspective its not that difficult a lick, but with Marks playing that's very often the case anyway. Its not what's played its how its played.

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2020, 05:57:37 PM »
Speaking from a teaching perspective its not that difficult a lick, but with Marks playing that's very often the case anyway. Its not what's played its how its played.

I agree, but, as you wrote, that's the case with pretty much all of his licks. Yet, almost everybody seem to miss some notes here and there.

I remember seeing Phil Emmanuel saying on one video that: "Knopfler plays this simple lick in Calling Elvis". But then he misses some notes in his execution.

Many people think it's an easier task than it actually is. That's the case, for instance, of the famous MfN riff. Everybody say it's easy, but almost everybody play it wrong.

I also thought this would be an easy one, but it took me a couple of hours to figure it out correctly. Ok, I'm no pro musician, and even though there are some similarities to other licks that he plays, I still find that this is one of the most difficult ones to spot right.

Anyway, the purpose was to play it in slow motion so it becomes easier to spot for those who want to learn it.

;)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 11:50:40 PM by PKnopf »

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 04:55:09 PM »

I agree, but, as you wrote, that's the case with pretty much all of his licks. Yet, almost everybody seem to miss some notes here and there.

I remember seeing Phil Emmanuel saying on one video that: "Knopfler plays this simple lick in Calling Elvis". But then he misses some notes in his execution.

Many people think it's an easier task than it actually is. That's the case, for instance, of the famous MfN riff. Everybody say it's easy, but almost everybody play it wrong.

I also thought this would be an easy one, but it took me a couple of hours to figure it out correctly. Ok, I'm no pro musician, and even though there are some similarities to other licks that he plays, I still find that this is one of the most difficult ones to spot right.

Anyway, the purpose was to play it in slow motion so it becomes easier to spot for those who want to learn it.

;)

MFN is a great example actually, all about that touch.

Personally I stopped trying to imitate MK a long time ago to turn my focus literally on how my fingers touch the strings. Its still fun to blast out the odd 15 minutes of TR occasionally though 😉

OfflinePKnopf

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 02:30:56 AM »

;)

MFN is a great example actually, all about that touch.

Personally I stopped trying to imitate MK a long time ago to turn my focus literally on how my fingers touch the strings. Its still fun to blast out the odd 15 minutes of TR occasionally though 😉

You're absolutely right.

I think his tone is also hard to match in a satisfactory way.

When it comes to touch, Brothers in Arms may as well be the best song to refine it. This Night in London video shows how gently he touches the strings with his right hand, and how well he mutes the strings to get one string sound at a time.

I also need vast improvements in this muting strings technique.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 04:50:53 AM by PKnopf »

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.022 seconds with 37 queries.