Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler John Illsley Never Told a Soul - much higher quality  (Read 3557 times)

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
much higher quality than previously seen

A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlineallen

• A Mark in Time
  • Founder
  • Romeo
  • La KnopflerTK
    • A Mark in Time
Re: Mark Knopfler John Illsley Never Told a Soul - much higher quality
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 01:11:18 AM »
I saw this clip half a year ago.  A pity it was not complete. It was uploaded by the piano player of this mv.  Apparently he has the complete mv in good quality, but editted and upload the part which includes a piano solo.
My idea of heaven is a place where the Tyne meets the Delta, where folk music meets the blues.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »
I saw this clip half a year ago.  A pity it was not complete. It was uploaded by the piano player of this mv.  Apparently he has the complete mv in good quality, but editted and upload the part which includes a piano solo.

yes, very nice quality  :thumbsup
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 02:02:50 PM »
Is that a Takamine?
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
Is that a Takamine?

Ovation, just like on Wild Theme with steel strings. Very stable tone, in fact when I play Ovations the first thing that pops in my mind is Wild Theme and its sound. Because of the fiberglass back they all sound kind of the same.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »
Is that a Takamine?

Ovation, just like on Wild Theme with steel strings. Very stable tone, in fact when I play Ovations the first thing that pops in my mind is Wild Theme and its sound. Because of the fiberglass back they all sound kind of the same.

Its funny re: Ovation, because you never hear the great guitar players rave about them and I don't think Marks Adamas has seen the light of day for decades.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 06:44:08 PM »
Is that a Takamine?

Its funny re: Ovation, because you never hear the great guitar players rave about them and I don't think Marks Adamas has seen the light of day for decades.

Honestly, I hate playing Ovations just because of the shape of it, too awkward to play it while sitting (which Mark does in the video lol). As Mark is a human being as well, I don't think he's a fan of playability, maybe he liked that it stays in tune better than regular guitars? Probably something like that.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 11:08:27 AM »
Is that a Takamine?

Honestly, I hate playing Ovations just because of the shape of it, too awkward to play it while sitting (which Mark does in the video lol). As Mark is a human being as well, I don't think he's a fan of playability, maybe he liked that it stays in tune better than regular guitars? Probably something like that.

Guy always says they look for the right sound, so I guess is the sound versus the playability what it's worth to him...

This tour shows that, for Romeo he used the beard dobro, for Heart full of holes a beltona, and for Bonaparte a national, three different type of resonator guitars!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 01:51:45 PM »
Is that a Takamine?

Guy always says they look for the right sound, so I guess is the sound versus the playability what it's worth to him...

This tour shows that, for Romeo he used the beard dobro, for Heart full of holes a beltona, and for Bonaparte a national, three different type of resonator guitars!

He has to, because you don't want to mess with capos on stage (or back stage) and Heart Full Of Holes is played ridiculously high (Capoed on the 8th fret!) so cut-off is needed, Bonaparte is something like 5th fret, Romeo is 3rd fret.

I don't think anyone would say that Ovation sounds better than your classical Martins and Gibsons, it has a unique sound that's for sure, might be a solid reason to go for it.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:54:01 PM by quizzaciously »

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:55:19 PM »
Is that a Takamine?

He has to, because you don't want to mess with capos on stage (or back stage) and Heart Full Of Holes is played ridiculously high (Capoed on the 8th fret!) so cut-off is needed, Bonaparte is something like 5th fret, Romeo is 3rd fret.

I don't think anyone would say that Ovation sounds better than your classical Martins and Gibsons, it has a unique sound that's for sure, might be a solid reason to go for it.

I don't think they age well. The Adamas 1187 (Marks) I think had a carbon fibre top, which gave it its distinctive tone but means it basically never ages. Us guitar players like our woods 😉

hunter

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 11:18:09 PM »
I think one reason why Ovations were popular back in the day was because they sounded pretty good plugged into the PA system compared with traditional acoustic guitars with pickups. And you could play them pretty loud without feedback issues. They were/are very well built. Top quality instruments, but they don't sound anything like a proper acoustic guitar made of wood.

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 01:34:20 AM »
I've got an adamas 2087GT. The guitar is fabulous, lovely neck, sounds great, and as you say good through an amp.

I think it's just that it will never change character with age, some may actually see this as an advantage, and from a recording point of view it's a plus. Mines made it on to loads of recordings.

I'd love to actually hear what Mark really thinks of them and why he's moved on.

OnlineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 04:48:07 PM »
Is that a Takamine?

I think that Wild theme studio version is played on the Gibson Chet Atkins with nylon strings
the ovation is on acoustic part of Going home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 38 queries.