Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK revisiting his songs for the London run of Local Hero Musical  (Read 10902 times)

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
MK revisiting his songs for the London run of Local Hero Musical
« on: February 03, 2020, 09:48:41 AM »
I read this today here: https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2020/jan/25/sam-mendes-john-fowles-magus-tv-project

David Greig, who is working on the new Local Hero musical alongside Dire Straits’s Mark Knopfler and the film’s original director, Bill Forsyth. “We had a short run in Edinburgh and it was good that we did it there first, because they would have been most critical of any faults in Scotland, where the film is regarded as a national treasure,” said Newling, the theatrical impresario of the team.

“Mark has written 19 new songs for the show and has become quite an intuitive theatre animal. He wants to revisit some of his music for London.”

So this should be what they are doing now, that Guy mentioned like this in his forum last december:

Right now Mark and I are in working on some revisions to the musical which will be at the Old Vic in London in June 2020.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: MK revisiting his songs for the London run of Local Hero Musical
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2020, 09:56:32 AM »
Theatre animal ;D
That was so cool.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2020, 10:34:33 AM »
Theatre animal ;D
That was so cool.

Yeah, LOL

Actually, anyone who attended the musical in Edinburgh (like me) will say that it was good and you don't notice at all that was written by someone that never ever written a musical before...

Most of the songs are characters songs, which is something he really does well, so that might be the reason why.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:51:02 AM »
Mark, please put it on the album.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2020, 01:51:00 AM »
Without wishing to be negative, I have to say I am not optimistic about the Old Vic performances going ahead. Though it is difficult to predict how it might pan out, this Coronavirus situation is likely to drag on for quite a few months - possibly even the bulk of this year and I cannot see the Old Vic shows not being affected in some way.  :(

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2020, 07:56:03 AM »
Without wishing to be negative, I have to say I am not optimistic about the Old Vic performances going ahead. Though it is difficult to predict how it might pan out, this Coronavirus situation is likely to drag on for quite a few months - possibly even the bulk of this year and I cannot see the Old Vic shows not being affected in some way.  :(

I agree.   Already some theatres have closed in London, so I am prepared for the Old Vic to be cancelling too.   At least I was lucky enough to see the show in Edinburgh.
Goin' into Tow Law....

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2020, 08:46:38 AM »

I agree.   Already some theatres have closed in London, so I am prepared for the Old Vic to be cancelling too.   At least I was lucky enough to see the show in Edinburgh.

Yes, I think it's in big danger of being cancelled, specially since Boris Johnson took the decision of doing nothing. Italy closed all his people at home to stop the virus, Spain is doing it as well, and I think many other countries as well. That might work to stop it but if the UK doesn't anything when they can stop it at an early stage, it will have consequences very soon.

All of you that can avoid it in the UK, stay safe!

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2020, 09:23:46 AM »
I just read this Guy Fletcher's words on his forum regarding the musical:

Let’s not be too hasty. Yes, current production runs will definitely suffer but we need to see how this week progresses. We are at a tipping point I believe where our decisions have potential for disastrous impact on people’s livelihoods….as sadly is already the case in some industries.

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2020, 09:26:52 AM »

Yes, I think it's in big danger of being cancelled, specially since Boris Johnson took the decision of doing nothing. Italy closed all his people at home to stop the virus, Spain is doing it as well, and I think many other countries as well. That might work to stop it but if the UK doesn't anything when they can stop it at an early stage, it will have consequences very soon.

Boris is not doing nothing - he is taking a different course than other countries.   He is listening to scientists who have a better understanding of how to control the virus, because, let's face it, a politician doesn't have the same knowledge as they do.   As I see it, the plan is not to have a huge peak of the disease suddenly happening all at once, which will put resources under a great strain.  It is intended to happen more gradually.

The UK, at the moment, has far fewer cases of the virus, and deaths than Italy, France or Spain, but, of course that will possibly change over the next few weeks as we are a few weeks behind Italy - we don't know!   

The latest news is not good for the over 70s, of which I am one.   We have been told that in the next week or so all over 70s will be told to self-isolate for four months and not go outside, which sounds horrendous, because a lot of older people are much fitter than those who are younger!  For instance me and my husband walk five or six miles most days and because we live with open countryside closeby we don't meet anyone.   At the moment we are healthy, with no underlying illnesses.

We, obviously, won't be able to go to the supermarket, so we tried to sign up for a home delivery, but all of the slots are taken now!   Many of my neighbours are over 70, so we are all in the same boat.   The solution would be to give over 70s priority for home deliveries if they want us to stay in our houses for four months.  We will see - meanwhile we are shopping for the essentials to keep us going for as long as possible without coming into contact with too many other people.

I am not Boris-bashing, because I do think he is doing what he believes is best.   It will be interesting to see the statistics, when this pandemic is over and see which country took the right course.

Take care, everybody, because we are all in this together!   :wave

Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2020, 10:45:21 AM »

Boris is not doing nothing - he is taking a different course than other countries.   He is listening to scientists who have a better understanding of how to control the virus, because, let's face it, a politician doesn't have the same knowledge as they do.   As I see it, the plan is not to have a huge peak of the disease suddenly happening all at once, which will put resources under a great strain.  It is intended to happen more gradually.

The UK, at the moment, has far fewer cases of the virus, and deaths than Italy, France or Spain, but, of course that will possibly change over the next few weeks as we are a few weeks behind Italy - we don't know!   

The latest news is not good for the over 70s, of which I am one.   We have been told that in the next week or so all over 70s will be told to self-isolate for four months and not go outside, which sounds horrendous, because a lot of older people are much fitter than those who are younger!  For instance me and my husband walk five or six miles most days and because we live with open countryside closeby we don't meet anyone.   At the moment we are healthy, with no underlying illnesses.

We, obviously, won't be able to go to the supermarket, so we tried to sign up for a home delivery, but all of the slots are taken now!   Many of my neighbours are over 70, so we are all in the same boat.   The solution would be to give over 70s priority for home deliveries if they want us to stay in our houses for four months.  We will see - meanwhile we are shopping for the essentials to keep us going for as long as possible without coming into contact with too many other people.

I am not Boris-bashing, because I do think he is doing what he believes is best.   It will be interesting to see the statistics, when this pandemic is over and see which country took the right course.

Agreed. This is not a case of ideology - the government is making decisions based on the advice of highly qualified scientists and the capacity of the health service to deal with those who require treatment. The situation is unprecedented and we cannot be certain that every strategy or decision made will be a correct one.

Whatever the case, I think we have to be realistic when it comes to events such as Local Hero. I would hope the worst of the outbreak will be over by then, but public gatherings may still be unwise.

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2020, 10:52:36 AM »

Spain did the same while Italy was "closing", trying to save the economy of the country and at the same time the Health system, but then reality gave us a slap on the face and had to do the same, probably too much late...

However, I hope the situation doesn't evolve in the Uk as it's doing at the rest of Europe, and in other parts of the world, and we can enjoy the musical on June ;)

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2020, 12:55:44 PM »

[/quote]

:clap :clap

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2020, 11:58:04 AM »
This text by the Old Vic Theatre in London doesn't have anything to do with Local Hero but I think it might apply to it in one or two months:

Whilst we have no reason to disagree with current scientific and government advice on coping with the Coronavirus, given the new travel and other restrictions in place it is nevertheless becoming increasingly impractical to sustain business as usual at our theatre.

We are very sympathetic to people’s personal circumstances, as we are to the audiences who are still excited to visit the theatre and see our productions. We are also extremely aware of our employees’ financial dependence on work being presented and tickets being purchased. So it is with great sadness that we have had to decide to suspend the presentation of Endgame in a double bill with Rough for Theatre II for the next two weeks, which is the remainder of its run.

The Old Vic operates in an unusual way for a non-commercial theatre in that it has no Arts Council support. Instead it is completely dependent on philanthropic donations, sponsorship and ticket sales. In light of this a full refund of all lost performances would be financially devastating for us, so we are asking all ticket holders for the cancelled performances to please consider donating the cost of the ticket rather than requesting a credit note or refund. For those who donate, we are able to offer a link to an exclusive video recording of the entire production of Endgame, captured earlier in the run, a private video message of appreciation from the cast, and a free Friends membership entitling you to Priority Booking valid for one year.

Gaining access to this film is an extraordinary opportunity that has been permitted by the writer’s estate, the acting company and Creative team in a rarely made decision allowing us to say a heartfelt thanks to you for helping sustain The Old Vic, one of the UK’s most loved and needed cultural and civic centres. The video recording was made for private archive purposes but all parties have agreed to let it be shared specifically with those who will no longer be able to attend.

We will continue to think of ways we can still connect with you all, our extended Old Vic family, and come back to you soon with more. It is unthinkable that the creativity and brilliance of our artists and those incredible people who uphold this 202-year-old institution every day will be diminished by this unprecedented situation. We will fight hard to keep it here, for you, for us all. Whilst we do that, take care of yourselves and each other, and keep in touch.

If you have purchased tickets to 4000 Miles, there is currently no change to the schedule. Please be assured that we will communicate with you in good time about your visit.

We appreciate your support and your understanding as we make decisions to support and protect each other as we navigate unchartered territory.  If you would like to make a general donation to help the theatre survive, we would be extraordinarily grateful.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 12:03:20 PM by jbaent »

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

Offlinejbaent

• Board Moderator
  • Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2020, 08:28:16 PM »
Wrong thread

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.078 seconds with 39 queries.