Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: MK and jazz  (Read 3556 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
MK and jazz
« on: February 16, 2020, 11:37:43 AM »
I wrote an article (in french) about Mark and jazz  on my blog : https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/mark-knopfler-et-le-jazz/

I tried to summ up all tunes in Mark's carrer that are influenced by jaz

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
Re: MK and jazz
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 06:18:57 PM »
I read it
is like a MKjazzWiki
well done
 :thumbsup :thumbsup

hunter

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 06:23:03 PM »
Nice blog post! Nice that you distinguish between the musical and lyrical inspiration because, as you mention, several of your examples are clearly not jazz. Sultans for example.

In my opinion, Mark has never done anything that is "proper" jazz. Rather he has done pop/rock/blues songs or ballads with varying degrees of jazziness. Which is true to who Mark really is, i.e. a "melting pot guy", never a musical purist.

I do think Mark would have had the ability to develop into a jazz musician had he wanted to. But I guess he'd rather play ten chords in front of 10,000 people than 10,000 chords in front of ten people  ;D

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 09:35:40 PM »
But I guess he'd rather play ten chords in front of 10,000 people than 10,000 chords in front of ten people  ;D
:thumbsup :thumbsup

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:06:13 PM »
thank you fro your comments

I think his most "jazzy" tune is badges posters tickets & t-shirts

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2020, 10:58:47 PM »

I think that Slow Learner is his jazziest song... It sounds like it was played with Jamey Aebersold backing track, in fact for a hardcore jazz fan as I am this song sounds like cocktail piano a bit :lol But still it's very good. Another close attempt was "A Walk In Paris", but since it's not a song, but rather an instrumental, I don't know.

hunter

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2020, 11:46:20 PM »
I think Mark could compose a jazz song - he knows "all the chords" - but he doesn't have the technique and vocabulary of a jazz musician to play a proper jazz solo.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 11:59:23 PM »
I think Mark could compose a jazz song - he knows "all the chords" - but he doesn't have the technique and vocabulary of a jazz musician to play a proper jazz solo.

Yes, but he could ask Richard since he's the "properest" jazz guitar player in Mark's circle, his jazzy solos on his solo albums are insane! I remember in the song Summer Of Love he played awesome country-rockabilly solo, they could do something like that in the jazz environment. And I hope they will 8)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 06:25:08 PM »
I think that Slow Learner is his jazziest song... It sounds like it was played with Jamey Aebersold backing track, in fact for a hardcore jazz fan as I am this song sounds like cocktail piano a bit :lol But still it's very good. Another close attempt was "A Walk In Paris", but since it's not a song, but rather an instrumental, I don't know.

yes indeed, I was thinking during the DS era

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
    • Blog about music
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 06:28:46 PM »

Yes, but he could ask Richard since he's the "properest" jazz guitar player in Mark's circle, his jazzy solos on his solo albums are insane! I remember in the song Summer Of Love he played awesome country-rockabilly solo, they could do something like that in the jazz environment. And I hope they will 8)

full agree.
Pavel I remember you said once that Mark wasn't a good jazz guitar player when listening to your latest trick from early OES tour versions.
And indeed he doesn't manage to get the jazz feeling in the solo
that's why I didn't quote this version in my article  :lol

at 5:16

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 09:47:32 PM »

full agree.
Pavel I remember you said once that Mark wasn't a good jazz guitar player when listening to your latest trick from early OES tour versions.
And indeed he doesn't manage to get the jazz feeling in the solo
that's why I didn't quote this version in my article  :lol

at 5:16

Yes, indeed, you have to have a certain type of character to be a jazz guitarist, I wanted to become one from when I was 15, I tried every book, many teachers and every school possible and just can't do it still. It's just not for me, simple as that. So sometimes it's just better to stick with what you have :lol

But given Mark has an access to the greatest jazz guitar teachers he wants, and more time than people like me, he can do it. And I think he wants it, the song like Slow Learner gives me the feeling he could steer to the jazz side more and more, but still it would be "Mark's jazz", as much as "Mark's blues".

hunter

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 10:25:05 PM »
Interestingly, when I was listening to Fade to Black the other day, it struck me how Mark's lead lines feel like what a horn player would play. Imagine a good saxophone player or trumpet player playing those lead lines. In classic jazz, the guitar is much more laidback and subdued than the horns. Mark sounds more like a horn player, with bends and so on. He doesn't have the harmonic sophistication of bona fide jazz musicians though.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 10:35:52 PM »
Interestingly, when I was listening to Fade to Black the other day, it struck me how Mark's lead lines feel like what a horn player would play. Imagine a good saxophone player or trumpet player playing those lead lines. In classic jazz, the guitar is much more laidback and subdued than the horns. Mark sounds more like a horn player, with bends and so on. He doesn't have the harmonic sophistication of bona fide jazz musicians though.

Good point. I always loved horns more than your typical jazz guitarists. I generally don't like jazz as a sport discipline if you know what I mean. I love jazz ballads with a singer. Louis Armstrong never played anything fast, but created the best horn lines ever played on trumpet, man his solos are simply the best, even Django was a huge fan of Armstrong's lines ;D

hunter

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 10:44:15 PM »
I also am not too wild about jazz guitar. A little too dull compared with fiery horns. I like a lot of jazz, but it kind of depends on the mood. Some days I'll put on an uptempo, wild bebop album. Other days something quiet and cool, which may be vintage Miles Davis stuff or modern jazz (Jan Garbarek, Nils Petter Molvaer, etc.). I also like to listen to female jazz singers, especially late in the evening. So calming.

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2020, 01:54:56 PM »

Agree!
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 45 queries.