Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on Sirius XM  (Read 111172 times)

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: Mark on Sirius XM
« Reply #315 on: May 09, 2020, 11:05:15 AM »
The biggest surprise for me was to learn that When You Leave is the only MK track without Mark playing any guitar on it. That’s pretty cool. Richard does a fine job there indeed, and he obviously feels very comfortable in this jazzy environment

What about Slow Learner? Does MK play guitar on that track?

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #316 on: May 09, 2020, 12:55:58 PM »
The biggest surprise for me was to learn that When You Leave is the only MK track without Mark playing any guitar on it. That’s pretty cool. Richard does a fine job there indeed, and he obviously feels very comfortable in this jazzy environment

According to the booklet of DTRW Mark must have played the guitar.

This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #317 on: May 09, 2020, 01:45:18 PM »

What the booklet says about When You Leave? I’m surprised with both, because both this and Slow Learner is not the hardest rhythm in the world and almost no soloing. By the way, also probably the rhythm in You’ll Never Walk Alone was played by MK. Because the booklet says it was RM, but I’ve asked him and he’s not sure.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #318 on: May 09, 2020, 02:28:44 PM »
I can only assume that Mark was the one playing the guitar, because neither Richard Bennett nor Robbie MacIntosh were mentioned as additional guitarist on this track.
But who knows but the man himself (Mark) can give us the correct answer.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #319 on: May 10, 2020, 01:21:18 AM »
I can only assume that Mark was the one playing the guitar, because neither Richard Bennett nor Robbie MacIntosh were mentioned as additional guitarist on this track.
But who knows but the man himself (Mark) can give us the correct answer.

Or the multitrack sheet label
The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

Offlineboriszhukov

• Camerado
  • We need the headband back!!
« Reply #320 on: May 11, 2020, 10:18:49 AM »
Seems I've missed out on a few of the last episodes due to Wetranfer links expiring after a week.🙈  Anyone willing to share these on a service where links lasts longer ?

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #321 on: May 11, 2020, 12:33:00 PM »
Those, and all coming, are hosted in Knopflertk Unlimited ( tracker.knopflertk.org/unlimited.php ) in the Knopfler/Interviews and promos without live music folder.

OfflineAdz

• Local Hero
« Reply #322 on: May 12, 2020, 02:30:49 PM »
Eighth episode of the British Grove Broadcast.

https://we.tl/t-Zh15W6eTRH

Thank you, Binone! For this episode, and the others!

OfflineAdz

• Local Hero
« Reply #323 on: May 12, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
It's always great to hear where our favourite artists draw their inspiration from, even if we're maybe not so keen on those songs ourselves. But you can see how Mark distills a mix to get the sound he wants.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think When You Leave sounds different to the album version? It may just be how it sounds through 'radio,' but it sounds a rougher cut to me. I'm also wondering how many other guitar parts we attribute to Mark, but were actually played by Richard, or somebody else.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #324 on: May 12, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »
It's always great to hear where our favourite artists draw their inspiration from, even if we're maybe not so keen on those songs ourselves. But you can see how Mark distills a mix to get the sound he wants.

Is it just me, or does anyone else think When You Leave sounds different to the album version? It may just be how it sounds through 'radio,' but it sounds a rougher cut to me. I'm also wondering how many other guitar parts we attribute to Mark, but were actually played by Richard, or somebody else.

Throughout the years of working with Mark Richard has developed a unique skill of sounding so much like MK you can sometimes barely distinguish them apart, which is not easy feat, but may be intentional. I don't know when I was listening to When You Leave, I thought it was MK or Richard, I thought what a great rhythm playing that is. So it was a surprise for me definitely. Knowing this one can assume "Floating Away" is also with Richard's rhythm, but it has Mark soloing so it's more obvious.

In the end of the day, it's only rhythm playing, it's important, yes, but Mark always can rely on others for playing it unless it's a truly unique rhythm like Walk Of Life or something.

Offlinemschaap

• Camerado
« Reply #325 on: May 12, 2020, 10:21:33 PM »
Indeed surprising. I remember when I first listened to Shangri-la and thought it was Richard was playing the solo, but I turned out to be wrong of course. Richard indeed is a fantastic player, those lead parts by him on the other track that Mark played on the latest episode are extremely tasteful, truly beautiful. On the other hand he’s not always the best for a part, for example he never got anywhere close to the feel of the acoustic part on STP which so important in this song imho (but you definitely do nail that one Pavel btw).

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #326 on: May 12, 2020, 10:46:13 PM »
Indeed surprising. I remember when I first listened to Shangri-la and thought it was Richard was playing the solo, but I turned out to be wrong of course. Richard indeed is a fantastic player, those lead parts by him on the other track that Mark played on the latest episode are extremely tasteful, truly beautiful. On the other hand he’s not always the best for a part, for example he never got anywhere close to the feel of the acoustic part on STP which so important in this song imho (but you definitely do nail that one Pavel btw).

Yeah, that's life, you can't always be pleased with everything. I never liked the drums in live versions of What It Is done by pretty much any MK's drummer, I'm pretty sure I don't like more, but I can't remember straight away what exactly. Guy's Continental organ maybe :lol

The important bit is that if we don't like something, it seems to please The Maestro, so the world is in balance. I also wish Mark would play Bonapart live with electric bass at least once in his lifetime, but that's only dream, only dream...

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #327 on: May 13, 2020, 09:31:52 AM »
Bonaparte with a Gibson les Paul would be something!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #328 on: May 13, 2020, 09:41:06 AM »
Bonaparte with a Gibson les Paul would be something!

Yes, that's what I'm talking about. Mark plays this tune for 20+ years and never changed anything really. Some experiments would be nice :lol
Bonaparte with electric and Bonaparte with double bass like on the album is two different songs... With an electric guitar it would be a blast!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #329 on: May 13, 2020, 12:39:11 PM »

What the booklet says about When You Leave? I’m surprised with both, because both this and Slow Learner is not the hardest rhythm in the world and almost no soloing. By the way, also probably the rhythm in You’ll Never Walk Alone was played by MK. Because the booklet says it was RM, but I’ve asked him and he’s not sure.

When I chatted to Robbie, he said to me that he played the rhythm guitar for both JABAFH & EHITR...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 12:41:44 PM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.055 seconds with 39 queries.