Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Songs that doesnt the same without Terry Williams IMHO  (Read 5054 times)

Offline2manyguitars

• Lady writer
  • What is life without music......
    • Here some occasionally resonable music..
Re: Songs that doesnt the same without Terry Williams IMHO
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2020, 03:59:12 PM »
Terry wasn't the man to going to complex places, but the man to play a powerful version of whatever Pick or Omar recorded with complexity.

Complexity is good for a studio record, even Jeff Porcaro was powerful live and complex in studio, same for Manu Katche. Pick was the same in studio and live, and live he was behind the powerful performance of his band mates.

Jbaent. That's a straw man argument. Did you ever actually hear Pick live back in the 80s?

I've heard most of the bootlegs and videos from the 80/81 tour of DS and it was very clear that the band was moving to a rocking sound, all except Pick that remained with his own style, very nice for the studio, but not enough for the live perfomances. The band went to a different and more rocker level the next tour with Terry on drums.

Think that MK needed someone like Omar Hakim to record the "complexity" of BIA but went with Terry without hesitation for the tour to play most of that record.

I didn't mean bootlegs or old recordings. Did you actually see them live?  Because I think you're being a little unfair to PW and his abilities.

I didn't see Pick or Terry live. I'm judging them by the same, the audio and video recordings.

I'm not being unfair with PW abilities, I'm telling TW is far better live for the rocker band that DS became in the 80's, that PW style didn't fit with that more rock approach, he was behind the rest of the band in that aspect. The band moved on, he kept playing his lovely style, but didn't fit with the more straight approach of the "new DS". Terry did.

Straw man again, you are comparing oranges and apples. The only way to support said point of view is to invent time travel and demand to mark that Pick plays shows on the BIA tour!

Each to their own opinion though i guess....

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2020, 04:04:11 PM »
Any song sounds different with any different musician, drummer guitarist or any
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2020, 04:07:33 PM »
My first thought of Terry Williams: rock expression.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 08:39:02 AM »
Terry wasn't the man to going to complex places, but the man to play a powerful version of whatever Pick or Omar recorded with complexity.

Complexity is good for a studio record, even Jeff Porcaro was powerful live and complex in studio, same for Manu Katche. Pick was the same in studio and live, and live he was behind the powerful performance of his band mates.

Jbaent. That's a straw man argument. Did you ever actually hear Pick live back in the 80s?

I've heard most of the bootlegs and videos from the 80/81 tour of DS and it was very clear that the band was moving to a rocking sound, all except Pick that remained with his own style, very nice for the studio, but not enough for the live perfomances. The band went to a different and more rocker level the next tour with Terry on drums.

Think that MK needed someone like Omar Hakim to record the "complexity" of BIA but went with Terry without hesitation for the tour to play most of that record.

I didn't mean bootlegs or old recordings. Did you actually see them live?  Because I think you're being a little unfair to PW and his abilities.

I didn't see Pick or Terry live. I'm judging them by the same, the audio and video recordings.

I'm not being unfair with PW abilities, I'm telling TW is far better live for the rocker band that DS became in the 80's, that PW style didn't fit with that more rock approach, he was behind the rest of the band in that aspect. The band moved on, he kept playing his lovely style, but didn't fit with the more straight approach of the "new DS". Terry did.

Straw man again, you are comparing oranges and apples. The only way to support said point of view is to invent time travel and demand to mark that Pick plays shows on the BIA tour!

Each to their own opinion though i guess....

I never said that, but if it works for you to mantein your "straw man" speech, whatever it works for you...
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineElin N

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 04:15:05 PM »
Pick Whiters has his own facebook page now, run by his wife and Henk Pestman. I guess he's open for questions  :) I'm not a drummer (nor musician), but it's nice to see what the former members are up to. I follow Chris Witten on Instagram. Pretty much all of them are on facebook and/or instagram now.

Offlinedarkshiver

• Camerado
  • Rockaway rockaway from Cullercoats and Whitley bay
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »
Pick Withers - Percussion Discussion. With really nice stories of DS early period.

« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 05:03:19 PM by darkshiver »

hunter

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2020, 05:58:28 PM »
Pick Withers - Percussion Discussion. With really nice stories of DS early period.

Lovely interview. He still has that "joker" quality that he displayed in interviews in the early days. Funny guy.

How about this: 44:50-45:35

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.029 seconds with 40 queries.