Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits  (Read 76722 times)

hunter

Re: SPOILERS: John Illsley will publish a book about Dire Straits
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2020, 10:33:18 AM »
Cool! Looking forward to this. He has all the right in the world to tell his story. My only fear is that, John, being the kind gentleman he is, might keep things a little too polite though.

Yes, I'm sure. Actually it's his book so he's gonna tell HIS story. Obviously he would mention MK, and I'm sure he would do it with the highest respect and praise to him, as they are still friends, and he knows MK better than anyone else.

I'm also sure he would be not that way with the rest of the band, in the "Story of DS" concerts he had been playing before the pandemic, he used to refere to people like Hal Lindes as "a relieve when he left", I guess he would say similar things in his book, but in a gentle way.

Ed would be very different, his book would be more "juicy" as he doesn't give a d**m, lol

Yes, Ed's book will/would be a great read, I think.

Back to John's book, though. I'm curious if he will talk about how things functioned in the band. In the video interview with Pick, Pick gave a not very flattering picture of John's and David's musical abilities. As long as John did what he was told, things were ok. My impression is that John was a solid, reliable, useful "yes man", but also he that he accepted and was happy in that role. It will indeed be interesting to read this.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2020, 12:11:17 PM »
Cool! Looking forward to this. He has all the right in the world to tell his story. My only fear is that, John, being the kind gentleman he is, might keep things a little too polite though.

Yes, in light of Mark's unhappiness about it I can envisage some dilution of the juicy bits.

On the other hand Ed's book should be an absolute hoot!
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2020, 12:31:42 PM »
Back to John's book, though. I'm curious if he will talk about how things functioned in the band. In the video interview with Pick, Pick gave a not very flattering picture of John's and David's musical abilities. As long as John did what he was told, things were ok. My impression is that John was a solid, reliable, useful "yes man", but also he that he accepted and was happy in that role. It will indeed be interesting to read this.

It's like the Nick Mason biography... He explained the Pink Floyd history from his own point of view, which is a very gentle and polite one but I can imagine a more exciting one if it was Roger Waters who speaks, lol.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2020, 12:37:07 PM »

It's like the Nick Mason biography... He explained the Pink Floyd history from his own point of view, which is a very gentle and polite one but I can imagine a more exciting one if it was Roger Waters who speaks, lol.

The trouble is people often disagree on stuff, I remember Paul McCartney said he and Ringo would always remember stuff different, so Ringo's book on The Beatles would be completely different from Paul's. We'll never know who's right, and in the case of DS, given Mark's dominant presence in the band, it's kind of strange to read someone else's take. It's like Guy would write a biography of Mark's solo career, if you know what I mean. But again, in the absence of any official biography almost anything will do.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2020, 12:43:19 PM »

The trouble is people often disagree on stuff, I remember Paul McCartney said he and Ringo would always remember stuff different, so Ringo's book on The Beatles would be completely different from Paul's. We'll never know who's right, and in the case of DS, given Mark's dominant presence in the band, it's kind of strange to read someone else's take. It's like Guy would write a biography of Mark's solo career, if you know what I mean. But again, in the absence of any official biography almost anything will do.

The key here is that it is John Illsley life which would be in the book. So what we are going to read is John involvement in the band, and Mk will be mentioned, of course, but usually that would be from John's point of view as member of the band. He's not writing MK biography nor DS biography, but his involvement with the band.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2020, 10:35:11 PM »
I don't foresee more than laughs and jokes and drinks and smokes.
And no light on the stairs, of course.

A book could never chant the chord  :'(
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #36 on: October 24, 2020, 05:45:35 AM »
Mark seems a right miserable old git!  Sorry but it has to be said.  John is exactly the opposite and appears to be the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet.

Mark never does anything for the people who made him and only thinks of himself when it comes to music.  I think if you look at the personnel he's been through over the years it tells the story.  John appears to be very easy going and I will look forward to his book with great anticipation.
I think you are wrong when you say MK never does anything. MK has throughout his career been surrounded by people less talented than him who has made a career, become famous and seen the world thanks to MK’s talent, not their own. He has made music that means a lot to a number of people and given lots of people good times and memories for life. So MK has done everything for the people «who made him» and that are keeping on milking his fame and talent. The fact that he makes artistic and business desitions that not all agree on, is not selfishness, but integrity. John (and the rest) had better be happy, easy going and smiling. It’s MK who plays his bills and sells his records, concerts and the coming book.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 01:51:18 PM by Mossguitar »

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #37 on: October 24, 2020, 09:09:06 AM »
 :thumbsup A very good answer. A very good reaction.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #38 on: October 24, 2020, 09:17:02 AM »
A big well known fan, who is close to MK, says MK is not very happy with this, in the contrary...

We don't know the whole truth.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

OfflineRolleyway Man

• Camerado
    • Mike’s Musical Musings
« Reply #39 on: October 24, 2020, 11:18:39 AM »
A big well known fan, who is close to MK, says MK is not very happy with this, in the contrary...

Wait a minute. Who is this ‘big well known fan who is close to MK’? Everyone on here seems to be assuming this rumour of Mark being unhappy about the book is true. Can you verify this information?

Offlinewakeywakey

• Camerado
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2020, 03:07:07 PM »
This should be a good read.
Who cares if MK likes it or not?
I am only interested in the music he produces so his personal likes or dislikes are irrelevant.
Although it is frustrating deluxe reissues haven't been released and that dvds/live shows/books/films/documentaries/headbands also haven't been produced to our specifications,less can help you appreciate the goods that are available.
We will be getting a new album and perhaps a tour along with the London run of Local Hero which is a lot for a 71+ year old.
I would imagine the Bicknell book will be sensationalised so will get more headlines but how much will be fact rather than fiction remains to be seen.

Offlinecannibals

• Romeo
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2020, 04:49:19 PM »
Guy is ignoring a question about the book on his forum  :think

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2020, 11:40:44 PM »
Mark seems a right miserable old git!  Sorry but it has to be said.  John is exactly the opposite and appears to be the nicest guy you could ever wish to meet.

Mark never does anything for the people who made him and only thinks of himself when it comes to music.  I think if you look at the personnel he's been through over the years it tells the story.  John appears to be very easy going and I will look forward to his book with great anticipation.
I think you are wrong when you say MK never does anything. MK has throughout his career been surrounded by people less talented than him who has made a career, become famous and seen the world thanks to MK’s talent, not their own. He has made music that means a lot to a number of people and given lots of people good times and memories for life. So MK has done everything for the people «who made him» and that are keeping on milking his fame and talent. The fact that he makes artistic and business desitions that not all agree on, is not selfishness, but integrity. John (and the rest) had better be happy, easy going and smiling. It’s MK who plays his bills and sells his records, concerts and the coming book.

The fact Mark has toured, made records and surrounded himself with people less talented doesn't make him a saint.  He has made the music he has because he wanted to. He has toured because he wanted to (or to promote an album).  If he has made us happy then that's purely coincidental.  He's never thought to tour for us or to perform songs for us or to release certain songs for us.  It's just not him.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #43 on: October 24, 2020, 11:42:22 PM »

We don't know the whole truth.

"Guy is ignoring a question about the book on his forum"

Don't we... :lol

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2020, 02:06:16 AM »

The fact Mark has toured, made records and surrounded himself with people less talented doesn't make him a saint.  He has made the music he has because he wanted to. He has toured because he wanted to (or to promote an album).  If he has made us happy then that's purely coincidental.  He's never thought to tour for us or to perform songs for us or to release certain songs for us.  It's just not him.

Just had a thought about this... Just like Mark distinguish music and music business side of his work, there's music business side of MK and music side of MK. Music business side is extremely selfish and demanding, hence all these stories and 'psychological injuries' among his colleagues. Hovewer, if you just make music with him or agree on everything with him, he's as nice as The Pope and literally a saint and will do anything for you. Until... You're still useful for his business side!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.161 seconds with 39 queries.