Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler interview Oct 2020: Mark and I 'get on alright'  (Read 17753 times)

OfflineAngelucci

• Guitar George
  • i am new on here, be gentle
David Knopfler interview Oct 2020: Mark and I 'get on alright'
« on: January 19, 2021, 09:33:53 AM »
Hi all.

Not sure if this interview has been covered. Apologies if so. It's a podcast called Not Your Mother's Radio with an interview with David Knopfler from October 2020: https://open.spotify.com/episode/25g2y22hjanoacsAHoxwne

David is actually very complimentary about later Dire Straits stuff and Mark and his solo work. He's been more that way inclined for a while now. What surprised me was, around the 33 min 30 sec mark, the host asks if there's a chance of Mark and David doing anything together in the future.

David's response: "Well we get on alright, I just don't think he has any interest in doing it..." He goes on to say he'd love to (of course) and that working with Mark was always a joy musically although a nightmare towards the end personally "but we were young then, things change".

Is anyone else aware of things getting better between the brothers? Or is this just David saying something easy or skirting the subject to avoid getting into all that?

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
Re: David Knopfler interview Oct 2020: Mark and I 'get on alright'
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2021, 09:56:34 AM »
Hi all.

Not sure if this interview has been covered. Apologies if so. It's a podcast called Not Your Mother's Radio with an interview with David Knopfler from October 2020: https://open.spotify.com/episode/25g2y22hjanoacsAHoxwne

David is actually very complimentary about later Dire Straits stuff and Mark and his solo work. He's been more that way inclined for a while now. What surprised me was, around the 33 min 30 sec mark, the host asks if there's a chance of Mark and David doing anything together in the future.

David's response: "Well we get on alright, I just don't think he has any interest in doing it..." He goes on to say he'd love to (of course) and that working with Mark was always a joy musically although a nightmare towards the end personally "but we were young then, things change".

Is anyone else aware of things getting better between the brothers? Or is this just David saying something easy or skirting the subject to avoid getting into all that?

Yes, DK has a podcast in Patreon and in one of them he was talking about a band he saw playing live in The Albany in Deptford and that he couldn't remember the name of the band, that he asked MK the other day but he didn't remember either...

When I heard that I thought that it was cool if it was true, that they are on speaking terms again in any way.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 09:57:50 AM »
I'm not aware, but technically speaking of course brothers should get on alright, especially since their mother AND sister died not so long ago. It's a ridiculously stupid idea to cut ties with your brother and the thing only young and stupid and arrogant can afford.

Music-wise I don't think there's a chance of them working together, they're just too different and have a too similar voice anyway. Mark still is not a kind of guy who let anyone be his co-writer, so what he can do with David? If not singing, if not writing, then it's basically nothing.

hunter

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2021, 10:06:27 AM »
What a great podcast! David is really articulate, and he is so much more ON when he is talking than Mark. Mark sounds as if he is falling asleep. Their voices are incredibly similar though! Still listening ...

Edit: Really lovely. No trace of bitterness, and the way spoke about Mark's solo work (although he doesn't really know it) was just pure admiration.

Hopefully they'll catch up one day musically, just two to sit and play together like when they were kids. No recording, no pressure, just the two of them reconciling.

This podcast really touched me. Thanks for the heads-up.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 10:16:14 AM by hunter »

OfflineAngelucci

• Guitar George
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2021, 10:34:52 AM »
Yeah I thought he came across really well and there are few more insights into the Straits days than we're used to! Don't know why but I've always hoped DK and MK could at least get back on to speaking terms. Must have been fairly recently since MK said they don't speak on HardTalk.

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2021, 10:44:26 AM »
Actually, since both their father, mother and sister passed away, they are the only ones alive of the family  :'(

That must had helped to at least talk to each other again.

Musically, they are very close now in what they do, as they both have a songwriter approach, but it's true that I don't see MK sharing writing with DK. However, by the way DK talks about MK nowadays, it looks like David wouldn't mind at all if MK would be the writer of however they would do. But that's not happening anyway.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2021, 11:52:52 AM »
This is sweet:

Check out his expression when he talks about Mark during the first minute or so. You can sense the affection.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2021, 02:17:04 PM »
David is mk's brother and an original DS member

if there's a small chance of respecting each other I think MK should get David onboard for an album/tour,
that's what I think and also hope, even if clearly it's highly unlikely unfortunately
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

hunter

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2021, 02:50:13 PM »
David is mk's brother and an original DS member

if there's a small chance of respecting each other I think MK should get David onboard for an album/tour,
that's what I think and also hope, even if clearly it's highly unlikely unfortunately

I'd love to see just the two of them, doing acoustic stuff. That would be unbelievably cool. And Mark has the pulling power to fill theaters easily.

OfflineStephanG

• Guitar George
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2021, 03:26:52 PM »
If I was having to resort to crowdfunding to support my musical career, while my estranged brother was a mega-zillionaire with a secret world class recording studio, I would also be making a lot of effort to patch things up with my brother..
it seem sDavid has let some of the anger go that he carried around for so long, so hopefully, the two of them can make up and play nice together..

i used to like Davids early solo stuff and in fact I still have one of his vinyls somewhere in a cupboard..

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2021, 04:11:51 PM »
If I was having to resort to crowdfunding to support my musical career, while my estranged brother was a mega-zillionaire with a secret world class recording studio, I would also be making a lot of effort to patch things up with my brother..

Ha, this seems a bit cynical!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2021, 04:26:15 PM »
I wasn't aware that British Grove was a secret!    ;D     However, I'm pleased to hear that they may be on friendly terms again.   :)
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 04:28:24 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2021, 05:10:22 PM »
One or two duo songs on the new MK album that would be great.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2021, 08:36:35 PM »
I remember the same vibe was when Paul Simon did his farewell tour, everybody wanted Paul to at least invite Garfunkel on stage on the last show, but it never happened. In fact, on the same exact day Art was giving a show of his own. Their war seems to never end after all these years. They did a number of reunions, but after some point, it was a complete stop which lasts to this day. It's really refreshing to hear something good about MK & DK friendship, really refreshing.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2021, 08:48:07 PM »
I wasn't aware that British Grove was a secret!    ;D     However, I'm pleased to hear that they may be on friendly terms again.   :)
You could walk right past BG and have no idea that Clapton or the Stones are inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 43 queries.