Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl  (Read 14127 times)

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl
« on: April 03, 2021, 06:15:31 PM »
Hello to all fellow DS MK Fans, who also like Vinyls.
I´m Klaus from Germany, Dire Straits-Fan since 1985 and i´m still collecting so called exotic vinyl-versions of the well known albums, Maxis and Singles. To me it documents a world-wide phenomenon, because music itself knows no borders. :)
I own some copies from the following countries: Israel, Turkey, Zimbabwe, Republic South Africa, South-Korea, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico, Venezuela, Hungary, Czech Republic, DDR (German Democratic Republic), Greece (Testpressing of OES), Brazil, Argentina, Uruguay, Peru, Equador, Panama. I´m still looking for more Vinyls on LP, Maxi-Single and Single-format in pristine condition. I also have the rare Japanese Promotional-12-Inch Record of Lady Writer-Sultans of Swing, and the dutch Tunnel of Love 12-Inch-Promo with the Stereo and the Mono-Mix.
So, are here some other Vinyl-fans, which also are interested in the exotic stuff. ?
I also have some white-label Testpressings from different countries, and one Acetate-Single So far away from the Sound-Clinic Mastering Studio. To me it is very fascinating to discover such exotic records. :wave
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
Re: Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 03:31:43 PM »
Here a picture of a Zimbabwe Dire Straits LP-Album. First Album on Vertigo Zimbabwe (South Rhodesia). The state of Zimbabwe produced vinyl records until the mid Nineties. There was a pressing-plant in Harare and a music company called ZMC Zimbabwe Music Corporation. The cover-colours differ from the other issues and the used paper is not glossy, but more rough.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 03:37:23 PM »
This is the rare Japanese Promotional-12-Inch record by Dire Straits. Pressed through Nippon-Phonogram as a Maxi-Single for DJs only. Lady Writer / Sultans of Swing. White-Label with special Promo-Catalogue-Number and the Japanese Promotional inscriptions. To my knowledge, the one and only 12-Inch record in Japan by Dire Straits. Very hard to find. :think
The cover is a white cardboard-cover with a red 45-rpm stamp and pasted regular 7-inch sleeves from Japanese releases. Possibly handmade, but regular and released in tiny quantities with that record.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 03:46:06 PM »
Some more exotic Dire Straits records.
Dire Straits - First Album. TAIWAN Edition, different front and backcovers and a different label: New Jen Sheng
Dire Straits - Communique. INDIA Edition, slightly different front and backcovers and with the Vertigo-Swirl-Label
Dire Straits - Communique From Bahamas - Straits Power, ULTRARARE Japanese Promo and Documentary-Record for DJs in Japan. Tracklisting not equal with the Communique record and with additional spoken comments in Japanese and English language by Japanese Music-Journalist Yuji Kon-No. Very rare Japan only record.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 04:24:46 PM »
Brothers in Arms as SOUTH-KOREA Edition. Released there through Sung-Eum-Limited in Seoul, South-Korea. Different colours on cover and a blue Vertigo-Label.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 04:32:05 PM »
Some more exotic Vinyl-gems.
Dire Straits - First Album (Los Reyes Del Swing), VENEZUELA-Edition, Vertigo Records, different coverdesign and spanish inscriptions
Dire Straits - Sultans of Swing (El Baile Del Sultan), Philips-Records, Single from EQUADOR
Dire Straits - Brothers in arms, Vertigo-Records, CANADA-Edition, Canada-only cover for that single
Dire Straits - So far away, GONG-Vertigo-Records, HUNGARY-Edition, unique cover, the one and only single by Dire Straits in Hungary. There is also the Money for nothing LP-Album on Gong-Vertigo records in Hungary, that´s it.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2021, 01:24:29 PM »
Some more exotic vinyl-gems. :)
Dire Straits - Walk of life, UK-Testpressing in Vinyl with handwritten archive-label, possibly pressed by PRS in UK. Vinyl-Pressing-plant, where Phonogram Ltd. was a client.

Dire Straits - So far away, UK-ACETATE-Reference-Disc, manufactured by The Sound Clinic, a well known Remastering Studio in UK. The prä-owner was a woman, who worked for the Phonogram Record-company in UK. She overpasted the original green-grey-coloured archive-label from Sound-Clinic with an UK-official So far away label. An Acetate-Record is a record, made of metal with a coated nitro-cellulose surface. Only a few copies were made, mostly for the artist, the producer, manager or sound-engineer, to get the first impression of the recorded work.  My Acetat-record plays the final mix of the single-version. Those records are very desirable if alternate mixes or other unknown versions had been recorded. A very rare record anyway.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 01:39:32 PM »
Some more bizarre and obscure Dire Straits vinyls from my collection. 8)

Russian Flexi-Discs in 5-Inch Format and in different colours. Dire Straits - Les Boys, Record Label called BudKon Russia. Some more titles are known. I have actually 3 different discs.

Polish Flexi-Discs in an envelope-Cover, here the complete Album Making Movies divided into different Music-Postcard-Discs in a Set. Poland-Edition of 20 Sets only.

Those records does not offer a very good sound-quality, because of the used material, but they are really obscure.
Sometimes in the past those flexi-discs are issued as freebies in Newspapers or Magazines.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 01:40:19 PM »
Here are the Polish Postcard-Records from Making Movies-Album.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 06:40:55 PM »
Again some exotic Dire Straits stuff. Exotic Vinyl-Editions 8)

Dire Straits - Sultans of swing, JAPAN-Promo-Single with special cover, two versions of Sultans of swing included
Dire Straits - Sultans of swing, PHILIPPINES-Edition, White-Label Vertigo, manufactured through DYNA-Records Manila
Dire Straits - Twisting by the pool, ZIMBABWE-EP-Edition, White-Label Vertigo, pressed in Harare
Dire Straits - Money for nothing, REPUBLIC OF SOUTH-AFRICA-PROMO-Edition, violet-Vertigo-label, two versions of Money for nothing included.
We are fools to make war

OnlineSilvertown

• Lady writer
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2021, 07:44:23 PM »
Interesting stuff! Thanks for posting these!

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2021, 07:53:40 PM »
Hello Silvertown. Thank you. :)
We are fools to make war

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2021, 10:39:11 PM »
Some more exotic vinyl-gems. :)
Dire Straits - Walk of life, UK-Testpressing in Vinyl with handwritten archive-label, possibly pressed by PRS in UK. Vinyl-Pressing-plant, where Phonogram Ltd. was a client.

Dire Straits - So far away, UK-ACETATE-Reference-Disc, manufactured by The Sound Clinic, a well known Remastering Studio in UK. The prä-owner was a woman, who worked for the Phonogram Record-company in UK. She overpasted the original green-grey-coloured archive-label from Sound-Clinic with an UK-official So far away label. An Acetate-Record is a record, made of metal with a coated nitro-cellulose surface. Only a few copies were made, mostly for the artist, the producer, manager or sound-engineer, to get the first impression of the recorded work.  My Acetat-record plays the final mix of the single-version. Those records are very desirable if alternate mixes or other unknown versions had been recorded. A very rare record anyway.

I'm very interested in acetates. I have also several test pressings but only one acetate of MFN
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 07:26:28 AM »
Hi, congratulations for MFN-Acetate. It is also a collection of it´s own. :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
We are fools to make war

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 10:39:32 AM »
Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Any chance you could rip the mono mix of Tunnel of Love? I'd be interested to hear what that sounds like.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.031 seconds with 37 queries.