Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl  (Read 14125 times)

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 02:52:19 PM »
Hello dustyvalentino. Yes thanks. It is to me very fascinating to find Dire Straits records from all over the world. :thumbsup

About the Mono-Mix of Tunnel of Love. I don´t have it recorded on my PC. I have to record it first for a wav.-Data,  but at the moment it does not work correctly. I assume my Music Cleaning Lab Deluxe-Sound-software does not work correctly in the moment. I used to find the mistake but it will take some time. :think
Best wishes Klaus.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 02:57:04 PM »
For the first taste, here are some pictures of the Dutch Tunnel of love Promo-12-Inch and the French Telegraph Road Promo 12-Inch record (onesided). Both are autographed by Mark and the Telegraph Road-Record is also autographed by John Illsley.
The Dutch record is very rare and it was very long time on my want-list. The French record is rare too, but sometime with a little patience you can find it on ebay or somebody has it twice. 8)
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 03:43:20 PM »
Here are some Testpressings of regular Vinyl-records by Dire Straits.
Dire Straits - On Every Street, GREEK White-Label-Testpressing with original greek Cover.
Dire Straits - ExtendedDancEPlay, BRITISH White-Label-Testpressing from PRS-Pressing Plant with original UK-Cover.
Dire Straits - Communique, AUSTRALIAN White-Label Testpressing with an Phonogram-Archive-Cover and Production-Sheet from Phonogram Australia
Dire Straits - Money for nothing 10-Inch-Maxi-Single, BRITISH White-Label Testpressing from Lyntone Pressing-Plant, Laquer-Cut by Francis De Souza.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2021, 03:44:35 PM »
Here the Money For Nothing 10-inch Single as White-Label-Testpressing.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2021, 03:54:20 PM »
I also found two mispressed LP-Albums.
Dire Straits - Brothers in arms UK-Vertigo edition, but it features the Rockband RUSH on the A-Side.
Chris De Burgh - Flying Colours UK-A-M-Records edition, but it features the second half of the Money for nothing LP-Album on the B-Side.
Mispressed LP-Albums pressed in the same pressing-plant with exchanged matrixes for A and B-Sides.

Here is a Zimbabwe Misprint-Version of Twisting by the pool. Wrong lettering on the label. The record plays NOT on 45 rpm and the A-Side has TWO songs.
PS: I´m still looking for a German Lady Writer Single with misprinted Picture-Cover. The cover i´m looking for is violet and NOT blue. Please feel free to contact me, if someone has it for sale or swap. :thumbsup

« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 03:57:18 PM by Klaus74 »
We are fools to make war

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2021, 04:17:42 PM »
For the first taste, here are some pictures of the Dutch Tunnel of love Promo-12-Inch and the French Telegraph Road Promo 12-Inch record (onesided). Both are autographed by Mark and the Telegraph Road-Record is also autographed by John Illsley.
The Dutch record is very rare and it was very long time on my want-list. The French record is rare too, but sometime with a little patience you can find it on ebay or somebody has it twice. 8)

Thank you. Very odd to have a mono mix by 1980.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2021, 04:25:49 PM »
Yes that´s funny.
Some Hi-Fi-Enthusiasts love old or historic mono-recordings, mostly by Jazz-recordings. In the 1960s record-buyers could get one album twice, in Stereophonic or in Monophonic, like most of the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Elvis Presley LP-Albums.
Also interesting fact, that most of the Brazilian Singles and Maxi-Singles play on 33.3 RPM and NOT on 45 rpm. :think
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2021, 04:39:43 PM »
This is also a little curious record.
Mark Knopfler and Chet Atkins - The next time i´m in town. PROMOTIONAL-Single from NORWAY, but made in Holland. Two A-Sides. Red CBS-Label.
 There are also two onesided Spanish Promo-Singles by Mark and Chet on CBS-records Spain with yellow labels and nice picture-covers.
We are fools to make war

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2021, 05:44:50 PM »
Yes that´s funny.
Some Hi-Fi-Enthusiasts love old or historic mono-recordings, mostly by Jazz-recordings. In the 1960s record-buyers could get one album twice, in Stereophonic or in Monophonic, like most of the Rolling Stones, Beatles, Elvis Presley LP-Albums.
Also interesting fact, that most of the Brazilian Singles and Maxi-Singles play on 33.3 RPM and NOT on 45 rpm. :think

A lot of those 60s albums (eg Beatles) sound better in mono, the band themselves approved the mono mixes, stereo was an afterthought and can sound weird, drums only in one speaker etc.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2021, 06:00:41 PM »
Yes i know those obscure early stereo records. RCA-Victor uses a very ugly electronically created stereo for the early Elvis Presley songs from the 1950s. That sounds very ugly, so the mono-mixes are the best choice on the old seven-inch-records or on the first-editions of the LP-Albums. The first real stereo-record by Elvis is the album Elvis is back from 1960.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2021, 06:26:41 PM »
Here is a 6-Track 12-Inch record by Dire Straits / Mark Knopfler from ARGENTINA. White Label. Side-A feat. the Twisting by the pool EP and Side-B feat. the Comfort and Joy Soundtrack-Maxi-Single.
ARGENTINA Issue only.
A Brothers in arms LP by Dire Straits from TURKEY. Turkish editions are very rare. Released there on blue-silver Philips-Label and manufactured by a Turkish pressing-plant named Plaksan. There are some other Turkish Labels like COBRA and GALA-Records with Dire Straits.
BIA was on the top of the Turkish LP-Charts, that is a little miracle, but cool to know.
Released in tiny quantities because not so many turkish people are interested in modern popular music, but it is astonishing to know, that a lot of US and UK-Groups and Stars are available in Turkey in the Sixties, Seventies and Eighties, like Beatles, Stones, Elvis, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd and Dire Straits. ;) ;)
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2021, 06:53:39 PM »
Some other exotic Dire Straits singles.
Dire Straits - Dinero para nada (Money for nothing), Single from PANAMA, silver Labels
Dire Straits - Walk of life / Quin-Cola Song, Promo-Single from ECUADOR, with Walk of life and an advertisement-Jingle based upon the melody of Walk of life in spanish language. Produced by an equatorian Beverages-company called Quin-Cola. Released there in 1987.It is a rare single.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2021, 10:52:22 AM »
Here are the two mispressed LP-Albums from my exotic collection.
UK-Edition of Brothers in arms by Dire Straits, UK-Vertigo VERH-25, pressed through PRS Pressing plant.
A-Side features not Dire Straits but Rush. Matrix-Numbers A-Side: VERH-12 A-1 (Rush) / B-Side: VERH-25 B/8 (Dire Straits)
Cover and Labels are Dire Straits Brothers in arms album.

UK-Editon of Flying Colours by Chris De Burgh. UK-A&M-Records. AMA-5224, 1988.
A-Side features the first half of the Chris De Burgh-Album, Matrix: AMA 5224 A2J 1-1 / B-Side features the second half of the Money for nothing Album by Dire Straits VERH-64 B-8U 1-1
Cover and Labels are Chris De Burg Flying Colours Album.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2021, 10:55:48 AM »
Another Brothers in arms LP-Album variant from URUGUAY.
Slightly different cover-colours and different Backcover-artwork. Cover is made of a rough paper.
We are fools to make war

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2021, 12:30:47 PM »
klaus, again, welcome to this forum, and thnx for your amazing rarities, i was never a collector of the official stuff, more the bootleg side of things, but it IS interesting to see all this variety. i know a lot of fellow fans on here are on a similar trip
Hammer kollektion!
do you only collect these kinds of records? or also live recordings?
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.035 seconds with 37 queries.