Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl  (Read 14124 times)

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Re: Collecting exotic Dire Straits-Mark Knopfler Vinyl
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2021, 09:47:58 PM »
Hi to all vinyl-freaks of Dire Straits records.
Now i have found another TAIWANESE edition of the Alchemy-Lp-Set.
Different front-cover-layout. Released on the Taiwan-Label New Jen Sheng. Cover is a folded paper-sheet, seamed on the bottom. I own another TAIWAN-edition with fold-out-cover and with the Vertigo-swirl-labels.
We are fools to make war

Onlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2021, 03:41:12 PM »
Cool cover!
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #47 on: July 22, 2021, 05:13:01 PM »
My newest Exotic-Gem.
Dire Straits - Love over gold, Hits-Label, Taiwan. Very uniqe record-label from Taiwan and a thick cardboard-cover, similar to the US-editions.
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #48 on: July 22, 2021, 05:19:01 PM »
Another new exotic-issue from my collection.
Dire Straits - Communique LP-Album on SWIRL-Vertigo Label from MALAYSIA/SINGAPORE.  8)
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2022, 06:31:17 PM »
My newest Exotic-issue is from former YUGOSLAVIJA.
Dire Straits - First Album, released in former YUGOSLAVIA on Philips-Records/RTB-Records. (RTB stands for Radio-Televizije-Beograd). The Yugoslavian issues are on a blue-white-coloured Philips-Label.
According to my knowledge, there are two singles only in Yugoslavia, Sultans of Swing and Romeo and Juliet, with cover-design from the Dutch-releases. 8)

Dire Straits played some concerts during their Love over gold-worldtour in Ex-Yugoslavia in 1983 and during their Brothers in arms-worldtour in 1985.  :think
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2022, 03:57:38 PM »
Again some news in my collection of exotic MK and DS-Vinyls. 8)
Here we have the Making Movies LP-Album from SOUTH-AFRICA. Just look at the different designed cover with the exchanged colours. Released in RSA in 1980 on a violet-silver Vertigo-Label.
The Dire Straits Twisting By The Pool-12-Inch-record from SOUTH-Africa. Released there in 1983 also with the violet-silver Vertigo-Label. 3-Tracks.
Distributed through Trutone Music. The covers made by INTERPAK printing-office. That is significant to detect issues from South-Africa.
We are fools to make war

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
  • They waited for an hour and then nothing happened
    • greece in dire straits, life in greece
« Reply #51 on: April 03, 2022, 02:19:42 AM »
What a lovely collection of hard to find items! Thanks for sharing! Back in the 90ies when most people were trading their vinyl collections for CDs I could find many obscure things in second hand record stores, at relatively reasonable prices. Now,online the prices have skyrocketed, and i don't have the money or time to keep it up. If something comes by the shop, I have dibs but sometimes it is still too expensive to keep for myself and I let go.
Come on, it is not funny anymore.

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #52 on: April 03, 2022, 05:55:01 PM »
Hi, yes that is true, but don´t miss your chances in the future. I also don´t have big money like Scrroge McDuck, but i swap and sell some other copies from my private vinyl-collection, also other artists. So i can re-create some money for further DS gems. Yes i know such record-stores in Germany, small and big fleamarkets, house-clearances and so on. That are all good chances to grab some nice items.
But you need some special contacts for such exotic stuff. In Germany i find all the regular German issues, also special record-club-editions from the early DS albums as well, and sometime a cool UK- or a USA-issue in some collections but i detect the special stuff on the online marketplaces worldwide, or on some record-fairs.
We are fools to make war

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2022, 10:11:32 PM »
The bug never goes away.  ;D Let's stay in touch and if you have a list of doubles you wish to trade or sell, do send me a price list!

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2022, 11:12:39 AM »
Yes, of course.
By the way, The Bug: ;D Do you know the rare French Promo-CD-Single of The Bug. ?? OK, it is not a vinyl-item, but a very rare and well demanded CD-Item.
It is a one-track Single-CD in a special Bug-shaped cardboard-Cover. Just have a closer look to the regular French The Bug, CD-Single, Vinyl-Maxi-Single or the Seven-inch-single. In France The Bug has a totally different cover, to the EU or UK-editions. It is a drawing of an insect, a real bug, and the french promo-item is a shaped Bug made of Cardboard, and you have to open the two wings to get the CD.
Very crazy and interesting item.  8)
We are fools to make war

Offlinevgonis

• Juliet
« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2022, 10:25:56 PM »
Yes! I do have this one, https://www.discogs.com/release/6628825-Dire-Straits-The-Bug  but nothing else from French editions of this single.
Lovely cover! I think Dire straits are a very hard band to collect. So many unique items, promos, singles etc. from so many countries all over the world due to their global success.
I started collecting them in 1989, when it was hard to understand the enormity of the editions. I keep going, but other priorities take up the time and funds needed. And part of it is other music!  ::)
I guess the sky is the limit in collecting them. Should you ever send me a list of things for trade/sale, send me also a list of what you are looking for. I might have something for trade!
I find  particularly  odd the decision of S.Korean and Yugoslavian Making movies editions, to rearrange the track order and ultimately leave out Les boys, altogether!!

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2022, 10:55:45 AM »
Yes you have the 4-Track Maxi-Single of The Bug as French edition. Also hard to get now. There is also a 7-Inch single and a regular 2-Track CD single in France with that Bug-insect-cover.
We DS collectionists are in a really good situation. Picture this, in case of a Beatles or Rolling Stones collector from all over the world. They are going to be nuts in that case. Just have a closer look to worldwide issues by the Beatles or the Rolling Stones in those days. Our Dire Straits collecting-field is easily understandable, but if you are a collector of worldwide-issues by The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Elvis Presley and so on, you´ll getting mentally insane. 8)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 11:08:04 AM by Klaus74 »
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2022, 12:18:37 PM »
So, this is my newest exotic gem for my vinyl-collection.
Dire Straits - Making Movies LP-Album from TAIWAN. Released some time later in Taiwan on a label, called MAJOR-Records. It features a thick cardboard-cover, like the Warner-Bros issues from USA. The record carries a blue label and a lyric sheet is also included. The pressing itself is really thick and it plays marvellous. There are some other newer record-companies in Taiwan: CELL RECORD-COMPANY, MAJOR-Records and Yan-Yin-Records. They all feature the cardboard-covers.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 12:21:29 PM by Klaus74 »
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #58 on: January 03, 2023, 04:26:14 PM »
In the next days i will receive a Czechoslovakia Issue of the Love over gold LP-Album. Released on the former state-controlled record-label SUPRAPHON-Records. Release-date there is 1984 not 1982.
Pictures of cover and label in the next time.  8)
We are fools to make war

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2023, 11:23:38 AM »
A little update.
In the next days i will receive some Dire Straits vinyl-singles from Republic South Africa, a Brothers in arms LP-Album from Turkey and two LP-Albums, Making Movies and On Every Street from Ecuador. 8)
We are fools to make war

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.03 seconds with 37 queries.