Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan Oberhausen-Concert Phenomenon  (Read 4187 times)

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan Oberhausen-Concert Phenomenon
« on: April 08, 2021, 06:28:43 PM »
Hello to all those fans, who had visited the MK and BD Shows. :wave

First of all, to me, the Oberhausen-Gig was very special and pleasing , because of the song Blind Willie McTell. Absolute amazing. This one song made the whole concert very valuable.

But i saw another Phenomenon during that MK and BD Gig in Germany. During the Bob Dylan Set, a lot of people were leaving their seats and went away out of the hall. WHAT WAS WRONG THERE ???? I have never seen such a behaviour before on MK, BD or other Live-Concerts with other stars. Absolutely crazy and not really understandable to me.
OK, Bob Dylan is very special in his arrangements, his special voice, but to me it is very irreverent to the performing artist. Everybody knows about Bob Dylan and his changing arrangements on live gigs.  Another important point is the follwing fact, that everybody had paid money for the tickets.
Does somebody here in the forum, who has also attended some of that MK plus BD-Shows seen a similar behaviour of some concert-visitors ????
We are fools to make war

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
Re: Mark Knopfler and Bob Dylan Oberhausen-Concert Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 07:17:09 PM »
Hello to all those fans, who had visited the MK and BD Shows. :wave

First of all, to me, the Oberhausen-Gig was very special and pleasing , because of the song Blind Willie McTell. Absolute amazing. This one song made the whole concert very valuable.

But i saw another Phenomenon during that MK and BD Gig in Germany. During the Bob Dylan Set, a lot of people were leaving their seats and went away out of the hall. WHAT WAS WRONG THERE ???? I have never seen such a behaviour before on MK, BD or other Live-Concerts with other stars. Absolutely crazy and not really understandable to me.
OK, Bob Dylan is very special in his arrangements, his special voice, but to me it is very irreverent to the performing artist. Everybody knows about Bob Dylan and his changing arrangements on live gigs.  Another important point is the follwing fact, that everybody had paid money for the tickets.
Does somebody here in the forum, who has also attended some of that MK plus BD-Shows seen a similar behaviour of some concert-visitors ????

Yes, it happened to me when I attended the MK/BDconcert in Manchester.   Mark's set was wonderful and he thanked "Mr Bob" for inviting him to play on the tour.    Then Bob's set began and from the start it was almost impossible to understand what he was singing about and even what the song was!  He just barked his way through every song and by about the fourth song people began to leave.  We were sitting on the third row and eventually we were surrounded by empty seats and lots of beer bottles rolling around the floor.  We stayed until the very end and I just about managed to hear "Like a Rolling Stone", although it was very difficult!

Bob didn't mention MK and the band, not even a thank you, even though Mark had thanked him.  He didn't even introduce his own band, who I thought were terrific!

I have about 15 BD albums and I enjoy listening to them all, but I will never go to another Dylan concert.  It was really bad.

When we arrived back at the hotel there were a lot of people in the lounge - some very upset people and some were crying.   They had been Dylan fans for years and this was probably the first time they had seen him live in concert.   I felt really sorry for them.

This was before Mark joined Bob on stage during the European concerts.
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 07:23:57 PM »
Hello superval99. Thanks for your experiences.
I also own some Bob Dylan records.
I saw him live on stage in Hannover a few years earlier, as the MK and BD-concert, but that concert was in a smaller location called AWD-Music-Hall in Hannover, close to the big soccer-stadium. That concert runs in a positive way, because nobody felt upset and nobody left the location. There were no negative experiences with Bob. Also crazy. :think
We are fools to make war

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 07:32:32 PM »
Also, the sound was very loud, much, much louder than Mark's sound and quite painful to the ears!
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflinePottel

• Founder
  • Founder
  • David Knopfler
    • A Mark In Time
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 07:46:44 PM »
reminds me of the whole discussion back then.
i love both, and am "into" bob'S voice, as rough as it sounds sometimes, and i got about as much, if not even more, Bob shows than MK shows (even though in my heart i prefer MK if push comes to shove)
the moment in Oberhausen when Mark came on to play Blind willie was a lifelong wish come through for me. that song has a mythical status in Dylan circles and even more so for me, ever since first hearing it on the cassette version of the Bootleg series volume it appeared on back in 1991 it was i believe.
so i started collecting every single show it was ever played at (started only in 97!) and was close to having them all, but then stopped my torrent downloading addiction, so i am sure to miss a few. but long story short, for me it was an amazing moment.
Also, and i am sure Val will agree with me here, when bob is good, he is mindblowing, as in this very amical performance of forever young
any Knopfler, Floyd or Dylan will do....

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 08:09:58 PM »
reminds me of the whole discussion back then.
i love both, and am "into" bob'S voice, as rough as it sounds sometimes, and i got about as much, if not even more, Bob shows than MK shows (even though in my heart i prefer MK if push comes to shove)
the moment in Oberhausen when Mark came on to play Blind willie was a lifelong wish come through for me. that song has a mythical status in Dylan circles and even more so for me, ever since first hearing it on the cassette version of the Bootleg series volume it appeared on back in 1991 it was i believe.
so i started collecting every single show it was ever played at (started only in 97!) and was close to having them all, but then stopped my torrent downloading addiction, so i am sure to miss a few. but long story short, for me it was an amazing moment.
Also, and i am sure Val will agree with me here, when bob is good, he is mindblowing, as in this very amical performance of forever young

I do still listen to this video now and again and it is really enjoyable, that is until near the end when Bob blows his awful harmonica playing all over MK's really elegant guitar solo.     I think Mark was quite amused - he had a little smile on his face!    ;D

BTW Pottel, I love Blind Willie McTell!   :)
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 08:12:39 PM by superval99 »
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKlaus74

• Camerado
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 08:10:51 PM »
Yes that is true. I also love the Together through live album, wich has some bluesy tunes. Bob has it´s importance in musical-history, definitely.
I once found a Promo-CD-Single by Bob Dylan with the song Blind Willie McTell. It is an US 3-Track-Promo from the Bootleg-Series Box-Set. On the cover is the historical Blind Willie McTell shown, the old bluesman.
Everytime when i´m listening to that Ode to the ole bluesman, i got goose pimples on my arms.
We are fools to make war

Love Expresso

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 08:59:56 PM »
Reading these posts reminded me that I wrote quite a long review about the Hannover 2011 gig. I just revisited it to find it being almost deleted, apart from the first few lines, apparently during one of those computer crashes that had happened to this forum some years ago. Pity! It's been 10 years since then, unbelievable! I remember posting the Bob set list live right into AMIT, being proud to be able to recognize almost all the songs. And Bob definitely impressed me more than Mark that night.

LE
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 09:08:04 PM by Love Expresso »

Offlinejabbathehut

• Camerado
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2021, 02:45:52 PM »
i found the opposite experience.The Bob Dylan fans showed no respect whatsoever to MK and band talking through his set coming and going and generally ignoring the music.Speedway was ruined for me with masses of Dylan fans entering the hall during that song.Show was Hammersmith 3.It didn''t help that my mk fanclub allocation was above one of the stair entrances but still they shouldn't have let people in at that point .I am not really a Dylan fan but i did stay through it.His band are very good and of course Mark was invited back at the end which as it was the last show was always a chance of happening so i wouldn't have left early besides i was curious about the legend that is Bob Dylan.I am no longer curious.

OfflineSamGolden

• Camerado
    • Dire Straits and Mark KNopfler Artwork
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2021, 03:26:04 PM »
Saw Dylan in concert for the first time in 2004 in my town. It was at the same time unique but strange because there was a little man behind the piano in the half-light of the stage and under a Stetson hat.
On the other hand, one of the most beautiful songs written and which appears on the MK radio shows setlist "NOT DARK YET", perhaps, in my opinion, humbly, a rare piece.
Never understand Dylan, he is on his own planet and that is also why he is an unusual character.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 07:42:21 PM »
I love Dylan, and the fact that he does not give one single fuck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 08:57:02 PM »

:thumbsup
that is how it is when you run out of the fucks,  you just don't have any to give
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineMossguitar

• Camerado
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2021, 01:06:08 AM »

Yess!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.036 seconds with 39 queries.