Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: 15 years ago the gig in LA for Real live roadrunning  (Read 2797 times)

OfflineJF

• Rüdiger
  • Site : Textes, Blog & Rock'N'Roll
    • Blog about music
15 years ago the gig in LA for Real live roadrunning
« on: June 29, 2021, 12:13:23 AM »
15 years ago, Mark and Emmylou Harris played in L.A.
The show was filmed and recorded, and released 4 months later as "Real live roadrunning"
my chronicle is in french, but some web translators can do the job

https://textes-blog-rock-n-roll.fr/il-y-a-15-ans-etait-filme-le-concert-de-m-knopfler-et-e-harris/

OfflineTheTimeWasWrong

• Camerado
Re: 15 years ago the gig in LA for Real live roadrunning
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2021, 08:18:45 AM »
I feel ATTR is an underrated album, and I even forget about it sometimes. But then, it's always a warm welcome with that epic Strat sound on Beachcombing when I put it on. It has so many great songs, and I love Chuck's production, very STP-like. I'll never forget the gig in Rotterdam, and I loved every second of it. Mark definitely worked on his singing and carried on with the KTGC record. Goosebumps when I think of Michelangelo, If This Is Goodbye and Why Worry.

Love Expresso

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2021, 10:35:54 AM »
I had nearly no expectations when I drove to Hamburg to see the early second or third gig of that tour. I even was about to sell my ticket some days before. But from the first couple of minutes, seeing Mark being especially cool on the opening song and over all the very very tight, excellent sounding band made a deep impression. I found the quality of the performance much better and fresher than the 2005 gig. Mark getting rid of his specs might have been another reason. They appeared so fresh and motivated!

Of course the Emmy part was sometimes a little boring but I had not expected to hear Romeo or Speedway. Great set list with I dug up a diamond close to as it was meant to be played (not like 2013) and Why Worry as last song. Really good. All in all a very good tour, and although I hate the nowadays overused word, this tour seems indeed underrated. Right Now one of the best openers from MK solo live.

LE

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2021, 12:56:47 PM »
Speedway was quite well played on this tour but all in all it's an album and tour I mostly overlook.  I think Mark saw it as a timeout.
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2021, 01:55:42 PM »
Of course it was a great tour, one of Mark's best tours of his solo career. I loved the addition of Stuart Duncan. You can appreciate his work in his rendition of Done with Bonaparte, really enjoyable. This tour is also a proof that Mark can vary his setlist (form one tour to another…  ;D) if he really wants to.

To me, this 2006 line-up was the best incarnation of Mark's band, and still is to this day.

Good news is that the DVD does justice to the show, even if I never quite understand why they changed the songs order (which they never did during the tour). But the filming is great and the sound is excellent too. At least we have a roaring "Danny" Speedway, the best version of all tours in my opinion.

Considering the fact that we have nothing on DVD form Mark's solo career except for a cut "Night in London", I'm pretty pleased that we had a DVD for this tour.

Once again, fond memories (Dublin, Paris…) long gone.

Offlineherlock

• Juliet
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2021, 02:39:32 PM »
Yes, ATTR is underrated, both album and tour.
The album features some of MK's best solo songs: I dup up a diamond is outsdanding, but Rolling On, This is Us, and the title track are quite good too.
The tour features some of the best live versions ever: Speedway, R&J, IDUAD,... Even Our Shangri-La, which is not my cup of tea, was very well played. On Speedway the addition of Stuart Duncan (very talented) and the vocals from Emmylou make it one of the best versions ever.
I'm glad we have this DVD, but so many great solo songs are missing on DVD: WII (the 2003 Amy Awards version could do), WAM (the 2002 version could be re-issued), HFB (one of the greatest, shame we don't have it), KOG, Border Reiver, Piper, and many others...

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2021, 02:51:11 PM »
Beautiful album, a great tour. I was in Hamburg on May 28. On the DVD, I miss the audience's reaction. The applause is too muted.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinebinone

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Lady writer
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2021, 03:19:08 PM »
Mark didn't think initially doing this album. He recorded 2 songs (Red Staggerwing and Donkeytown) with EH to be released in the STP album. He argued with Ed, because he wanted those songs in the album, but Ed didn't because they didn´t fit in that album.  So he decided to do a full album with EH, this way all the songs will fit in one album.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 05:59:49 PM »
Of course it was a great tour, one of Mark's best tours of his solo career. I loved the addition of Stuart Duncan. You can appreciate his work in his rendition of Done with Bonaparte, really enjoyable. This tour is also a proof that Mark can vary his setlist (form one tour to another…  ;D) if he really wants to.

To me, this 2006 line-up was the best incarnation of Mark's band, and still is to this day.

Good news is that the DVD does justice to the show, even if I never quite understand why they changed the songs order (which they never did during the tour). But the filming is great and the sound is excellent too. At least we have a roaring "Danny" Speedway, the best version of all tours in my opinion.

Considering the fact that we have nothing on DVD form Mark's solo career except for a cut "Night in London", I'm pretty pleased that we had a DVD for this tour.

We had a great time in Dublin!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineNicoMK

• Camerado
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2021, 09:54:45 AM »

We had a great time in Dublin!

Oh yes we had!

hunter

« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2021, 11:21:45 AM »
Mark didn't think initially doing this album. He recorded 2 songs (Red Staggerwing and Donkeytown) with EH to be released in the STP album. He argued with Ed, because he wanted those songs in the album, but Ed didn't because they didn´t fit in that album.  So he decided to do a full album with EH, this way all the songs will fit in one album.

Ed was right.

OfflineKnopfleRick

• Lady writer
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2021, 12:30:59 PM »
I saw them 06.06.06 in Frankfurt and like most of you was very thrilled about the event. You could see how much the two enjoyed their collaboration.
Even Emmy's voice, which I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of matched very well with Marks. The outro with Richard from "I dug up a diamond" was a real highlight as was Romeo, Speedway and many more.
I am very pleased they released a DVD of this wonderful tour.
Unfortunately there are so many missing opportunities for DVD releases of other great MK solo concerts.
This is all the heaven we've got right here where we are in our shangri-la.

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2021, 12:58:32 PM »
Beautiful album, a great tour. I was in Hamburg on May 28. On the DVD, I miss the audience's reaction. The applause is too muted.

I was at Manchester and actually enjoyed the show despite now bypassing the album.  I agree that the DVD is pretty poor though with a muted audience and too many shots of their feet!

"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2021, 01:38:26 PM »

I was at Manchester and actually enjoyed the show despite now bypassing the album.  I agree that the DVD is pretty poor though with a muted audience and too many shots of their feet!

I was at the Manchester show too - loved it!    We ran to the front for the encores and Emmylou was so nice, talking to us all!
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2021, 01:56:34 PM »
For me ATRR is one of the best records of MK, I loved it from second one, and I still do.

The tour was great, exceptional. Danny was in top form doing excellent stuff on drums, all the band was on fire and MK was very very happy on stage.

The live record is a little weird for mixing songs and their order and the lack of one of the highlights "Michaelangelo", and the dvd is filmed in a weird way, but both are also great souvenirs of probably the best MK tour since 2001.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.047 seconds with 42 queries.