Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Golden Heart - Album 1996 - 2001 (25 years) Thoughts.....  (Read 12175 times)

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
Golden Heart - Album 1996 - 2001 (25 years) Thoughts.....
« on: August 13, 2021, 04:07:40 AM »
It's now been well over 25 years since the release of 'Golden Heart' (26/03/1996) I am curious to hear how fellow AMITers still feel about this album.........

For me and I suspect a few on here bar 'Brothers in Arms' it is the album that started this 'life-long' adventure/affiliation with MK and I still really love the album to bits.

I remember distinctly hearing the Single 'Darling Pretty' for the first time on Radio 1 well before the album was released and then purchasing the special edition DP single with postcards and both 'Gravy Train' & 'Claim to Fame' on there too....

The songs on this epic album have been with us all for a considerable amount of time and a lot of them have both good and bad memories associated with them for us all personally.
This is a very high ranked MK album in my books and even may well be the 'No.1' album for me. This album ages well....

Of course under 2 months later (17th May 1996) I saw MK in concert at the BIC on the 'Golden Heart' tour and that kick started the touring adventure with MK!!!

« Last Edit: August 13, 2021, 04:16:23 AM by Knopflerfan »
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
Re: Golden Heart - Album 1996 - 2001 (25 years) Thoughts.....
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2021, 11:08:27 AM »
My story is very similar. When I heard Mark had gone solo, and was to release his 1st album under that banner I was interested to hear how different to Dire Straits it would be, being the same writer, I though it can't be to different, but I was very wrong, when I first heard Darling Pretty, my worries faded away, I was hooked and played that song again and again, I was also thrilled to hear it in the cinema, when I watched Twister.
The album itself, is still number 1 for me, it has a special place in my heart, the album is so full of great songs, and the songs a really varied, the playing by all involved is great, and Mark's guitar tone is wonderful. I was not lucky enough to watch Dire Straits live, but I also went to that live show at the BIC ;D and what a show it was.
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2021, 01:19:50 PM »
Beautiful album. I back to him often. There are two parts. The first is British, more DS. The second: folk, cajun, country.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2021, 04:43:57 PM »
I was a little disappointed to begin with, excepting a continuation of DS music, however it has grown on me and it is music of a very high standard.  I was thinking do I really enjoy it or have I just accepted this is the new Mark so I will enjoy it. Not sure I still know the answer truly but I do know I prefer the first 2 solo albums to the others by quite a margin.

The show I was to attend was blighted by a venue alteration due to roof damage to the Usher Hall, Edinburgh.  It was held in Meadowbank Sports Centre, which has rather more damage now in that it has recently been demolished!  The seating was hastily erected and my view wasn't exactly spectacular, nor was the sound.  Forgettable show from an excellent tour.  :(
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineStanko

• Camerado
  • From Split, Croatia
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2021, 10:03:25 PM »
My story is very similar. When I heard Mark had gone solo, and was to release his 1st album under that banner I was interested to hear how different to Dire Straits it would be, being the same writer, I though it can't be to different, but I was very wrong, when I first heard Darling Pretty, my worries faded away, I was hooked and played that song again and again, I was also thrilled to hear it in the cinema, when I watched Twister.
The album itself, is still number 1 for me, it has a special place in my heart, the album is so full of great songs, and the songs a really varied, the playing by all involved is great, and Mark's guitar tone is wonderful. I was not lucky enough to watch Dire Straits live, but I also went to that live show at the BIC ;D and what a show it was.
:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup
three cracked vertebrae mighty man

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2021, 01:29:52 AM »
Beautiful album. I back to him often. There are two parts. The first is British, more DS. The second: folk, cajun, country.

All in all a fantastic album from 'the master' that takes some beating!!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2021, 10:24:29 PM »
My MK 'Golden Heart' standee - still in excellent condition after 25 years!!! (not for sale by the way!)
Anyone else have one??

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2021, 09:12:01 AM »
It's a record I loved when it came out, but with time it's the one that I listened the less.

For me when it came out was like a continuation of his DS sound mixed to what he wanted to achieve as a solo artist, specially adding country and celtic sound to his musical palette, and I liked the way he was going, as he was still playing a lot of great guitar stuff, but then he released STP with nothing of that country or celtic stuff and also little of that DS sound, and then RPD which was even further from that sounds... It took me some time to adapt to the new MK sound, and every record and step forward from MK; buried more and more the GH record, specially because for any reason, apparently only Bonaparte or Rudiger were worthy songs from that record to MK, both songs I use to skip from that record.

Still has songs I love like Darling pretty, No can do, Don't you get it, Vic and Ray (yes, I like that atmosphere a lot) and Are we in trouble now, but everything sounds to a very very far away MK to me, so I barely listen to this record.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2021, 09:12:40 AM »
My MK 'Golden Heart' standee - still in excellent condition after 25 years!!! (not for sale by the way!)
Anyone else have one??

Actually an OES tour picture... never got why they used that for GH.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2021, 09:57:43 AM »
It's a record I loved when it came out, but with time it's the one that I listened the less.

For me when it came out was like a continuation of his DS sound mixed to what he wanted to achieve as a solo artist, specially adding country and celtic sound to his musical palette, and I liked the way he was going, as he was still playing a lot of great guitar stuff, but then he released STP with nothing of that country or celtic stuff and also little of that DS sound, and then RPD which was even further from that sounds... It took me some time to adapt to the new MK sound, and every record and step forward from MK; buried more and more the GH record, specially because for any reason, apparently only Bonaparte or Rudiger were worthy songs from that record to MK, both songs I use to skip from that record.

Still has songs I love like Darling pretty, No can do, Don't you get it, Vic and Ray (yes, I like that atmosphere a lot) and Are we in trouble now, but everything sounds to a very very far away MK to me, so I barely listen to this record.

Almost exactly the same for me.   When GH came out it was played over and over and I couldn't get enough of it.  I loved the sound of MK's guitar and it was a  kind of relief that he hadn't gone too far away from DS, but as other albums emerged it became much less played and although it is still a beautiful album, others have taken its place. 
Goin' into Tow Law....

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2021, 12:19:39 PM »
Anyone else have one??

I wonder if they used that particular MK picture as that would have been the last time folk would have seen him like that live - as on the OES tour?

Offlinedmg

• David Knopfler
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2021, 12:46:03 PM »
Anyone else have one??

I wonder if they used that particular MK picture as that would have been the last time folk would have seen him like that live - as on the OES tour?

Maybe they thought people wouldn't recognise him without the headband.  He was after all the "voice and guitar of Dire Straits."  :lol
"I'm playing all the right notes, but not necessarily in the right order."

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2021, 12:49:10 PM »
Anyone else have one??

Maybe they thought people wouldn't recognise him without the headband.  He was after all the "voice and guitar of Dire Straits."  :lol

Spot on dmg!!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2021, 12:58:21 PM »

Almost exactly the same for me.   When GH came out it was played over and over and I couldn't get enough of it.  I loved the sound of MK's guitar and it was a  kind of relief that he hadn't gone too far away from DS, but as other albums emerged it became much less played and although it is still a beautiful album, others have taken its place.

It is such a beautiful album, and one the started the journey for us all with regards MK's solo path..funnily enough I listen to it just as much as I did. One wonders how it will sound tomorrow when I pick up the Vinyl box set!!

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 37 queries.