Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: Mark on new DION album Stomping ground  (Read 17535 times)

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
Re: Mark on new DION album Stomping ground
« Reply #60 on: November 20, 2021, 12:40:34 AM »
Official videoclip with MK playing :D

The song itself isn't too bad, but they couldn't make the video look cheaper and more amateurish if they tried. High school kids on YouTube make better videos.

It's nice to hear Mark play a bit again, although it's completely autopilot, muscle memory stuff.

Where's Henrik Hansen when you need him? :lol

I also was baffled by the quality, but let's be clear, that was the original idea apparently. Probably edited by Dion himself, so no high expectations there.

OfflinePensaGhost

• Banned
  • Romeo
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2021, 12:59:39 AM »
Kemper + 100% copy and paste guitar licks + super low quality video = great stuff  :clap :clap
A Pensaboy who later became a Pensaghost http://pensaboy.altervista.org/guitar.html

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2021, 09:31:37 AM »
Official videoclip with MK playing :D

The song itself isn't too bad, but they couldn't make the video look cheaper and more amateurish if they tried. High school kids on YouTube make better videos.

It's nice to hear Mark play a bit again, although it's completely autopilot, muscle memory stuff.

Where's Henrik Hansen when you need him? :lol

I also was baffled by the quality, but let's be clear, that was the original idea apparently. Probably edited by Dion himself, so no high expectations there.

The quality of the video didn't surprise me as nothing really changes with Dion's video's
Dion with JB for example..
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinestraitsway75

• Lady writer
« Reply #63 on: November 20, 2021, 10:17:07 AM »
Tonight the guitar of this song surrended me,  Mark Is the One  :clap

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #64 on: November 20, 2021, 10:32:26 AM »
Kemper + 100% copy and paste guitar licks + super low quality video = great stuff  :clap :clap
Lol, it’s a funny line but you really have no clue if he’s using kemper here or not.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #65 on: November 20, 2021, 11:14:25 AM »
Lol, it’s a funny line but you really have no clue if he’s using kemper here or not.

He probably did that in his studio, so I hope he wasn't lazy enough to use a Kemper and used some of the real deals he has there!
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #66 on: November 20, 2021, 11:18:23 AM »
Exactly, he has loads of classic amps at BG.

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #67 on: November 20, 2021, 11:27:01 AM »

He probably did that in his studio, so I hope he wasn't lazy enough to use a Kemper and used some of the real deals he has there!

It's only me or Mark seems to live in his studio these days? Reading books, recording videos, signing guitars, listening to songs. I wonder how much time he spends there? I think Mark played similar stuff on Beryl already and since then had no songs that would demand playing like this, and I don't mind.

I don't know about Kemper, but I'd bet he used it and, as always, not a single soul care (apart from PensaGhost!). And it's not about laziness as I believe modulating amps are even harder to set-up than real ones. With real ones you just plug it in, move knobs a little and go with it. And modulating amps have everything customised to the smallest bit, it's not the gear for lazy people that's for sure!

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #68 on: November 20, 2021, 11:33:04 AM »
A Kemper could make sense for a tour because it avoid you to have to transport many amps, some of them really expensive and delicate, but in a recording studio of your own, where you have all your stuff, you have to be really lazy to use a Kemper instead of the real hings...

A friend of mine who is a guitar player says it sounds like he used the tone king. I trust his ears, mine are shit, as I thought he was playing a Les Paul, lol

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #69 on: November 20, 2021, 11:38:09 AM »
A Kemper could make sense for a tour because it avoid you to have to transport many amps, some of them really expensive and delicate, but in a recording studio of your own, where you have all your stuff, you have to be really lazy to use a Kemper instead of the real hings...

A friend of mine who is a guitar player says it sounds like he used the tone king. I trust his ears, mine are shit, as I thought he was playing a Les Paul, lol

Yes, your friend might be absolutely right. I believe Mark used Tone King also in his Signature Gibson video? A go-to amplifier... That's surely a more reasonable approach than Kemper. However, what if Dion wanted clear signal for his song? Hmmm... I think it would change his approach. My ears may be even worse when it comes to this sounds comparisons, I can hear a smallest detail in the song but at the same time never was an audiophile at all. To me, if it sounds good, it sounds good, simple as that.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #70 on: November 20, 2021, 12:03:11 PM »
MK doing a video like this (even remotely) is unusual, so this is good.

I’m not sure how an 80 year old man dancing with a young woman looks in the current climate though, it’s a bit cringe.

Offlineqjamesfloyd

• Romeo
« Reply #71 on: November 20, 2021, 01:30:55 PM »
This is a brilliant track, I don't know Dion, but I enjoyed this. I play guitar, and I couldn't care less what amp Mark uses live or studio, what matters is his fingers, and how he uses them on the fretboard, I remember someone said about David Gilmour, "Give him a mandolin and he will make it sound like a Stradivarius" the same applies to Mark Knopfler. It is not lazy using a Kemper, it is just something different, and if he likes it, great, if he thinks it's a good idea, great, he can choose any guitar or amp out there, he has the money, talent, and influence, I like that he is willing to try something different. This video is clearly because of COVID, Mark couldn't travel, so this is the next best thing. Let's celebrate the song and Dion and Mark's performance, the guitar is wonderful, and the song sounds like Communique era Dire Straits, so I think Mark was the best choice for it.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 01:45:19 PM by qjamesfloyd »
Knopfler, Oldfield and Gilmour is all the guitar I need.

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #72 on: November 20, 2021, 01:42:26 PM »
In covid times, a divided two screens would had been better, like they are doing a video conference... Like this, it's weird, but cool to see MK playing, it's an effort he didn't for Tommy Emmanuel, for example.

OfflineRobson

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2021, 01:51:55 PM »
This is a brilliant track, I don't know Dion, but I enjoyed this. I play guitar, and I couldn't care less what amp Mark uses live or studio, what matters is his fingers, and how he uses them on the fretboard, I remember someone said about David Gilmour, "Give him a mandolin and he will make it sound like a Stradivarius" the same applies to Mark Knopfler. It is not lazy using a Kemper, it is just something different, and if he likes it, great, if he thinks it's a good idea, great, he can choose any guitar or amp out there, he has the money, talent, and influence, I like that he is willing to try something different. This video is clearly because of COVID, Mark couldn't travel, so this is the next best thing. Let's celebrate the song and Dion and Mark's performance, the guitar is wonderful, and the song sounds like Communique era Dire Straits, so I think Mark was the best choice for it.

I fully agree. It's good that you wrote it because I do not understand the considerations Kemper or not Kemper. Mark sounds great.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #74 on: November 20, 2021, 01:52:11 PM »
In covid times, a divided two screens would had been better, like they are doing a video conference... Like this, it's weird, but cool to see MK playing, it's an effort he didn't for Tommy Emmanuel, for example.

Yes, it was insane actually since Tommy recorded videos with pretty much everyone else but MK. Mark hate videos that's for sure...

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 34 queries.