Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: New for 2022  (Read 72163 times)

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
Re: New for 2022
« Reply #315 on: March 23, 2022, 11:59:33 AM »
I'm not a vinyl only person, I listen to CDs and digital just as much. :)

I only buy new vinyl for new releases from artists I love as I assume they get more money out of it, otherwise I pick up cheap second hand stuff.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #316 on: March 23, 2022, 12:05:27 PM »
People who buy digital files might be a small number in comparation, as usually those people doesn't care about physical things, so probably they don't even care about buying the digital files, but listen to them in places like Spotify that give little money to record companies, as it's something they can't touch, it has less value, in comparation with cds and vinyls, which are something that real music lovers still care about and you can touch, something that has a value that you can hold with your hands, with a cover, back cover, liner notes etc etc, so they get the best sales and the big money for record companies.

I have to confess that I buy the vinyls and the cds, I open them, read the credits etc, but in the end, I don't play them, well, I put the cd once in my computer and rip it into my hard disk, and I listen to that, or if I'm not in home, throught Amazon Music or Spotify.

Yeah... I still remember when The Beatles released their apple-shaped USB Memory Stick... It was like 15 years ago. Not only that, they did different versions (MONO and STEREO, personally, I prefer the mono version). And it was FLACs, not some kind of mp3s or something, it was done extremely well. Still has all the liner notes, great to put on the shelf, looks cool, easy to use.

How come something like this is still not the norm in 2022 baffles me. Music business must be controlled by very old people. I'd buy pieces like The Beatles Apple every time over CD.

I think what they love about CDs and vinyls is that it's extremely cheap to mass-produce it. Though I don't think that memory sticks are extremely expensive either... So it's a choice.

Not to offend vinyl lovers like Dusty, this medium certainly has its place in history and in the hearts of music lovers. I'm just trying to say that making it a priority is like still making guitar strings out of animal guts. Like I get this is old-school, but it's also 21st century, folks.

As a music fan, vinyl is something attached with my childhood so it has a feeling for me, and cds are the medium I bought all my stuff in my youth. When I think in buying music, I think in buying lps or cds, or both. Buying digital stuff that goes in my computer, or usbs... that's not music for me, yes, I'm old fashioned.
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #317 on: March 23, 2022, 12:32:39 PM »
If I'm getting digital stuff I might as well just steal it.

Sorry, but that's the way I feel after pouring money into the likes of The Beatles, Dylan etc for decades. They have had enough of my money for the same old shit! But new releases I will happily buy a physical product. :)

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #318 on: March 23, 2022, 12:43:57 PM »

Sorry, but that's the way I feel after pouring money into the likes of The Beatles, Dylan etc for decades. They have had enough of my money for the same old shit! But new releases I will happily buy a physical product. :)

I usually use digital stuff just to take a listen on certain records from certain artists, and if I like it, I buy it, if not, I simply forget about that.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #319 on: March 23, 2022, 01:31:09 PM »

I usually use digital stuff just to take a listen on certain records from certain artists, and if I like it, I buy it, if not, I simply forget about that.

I love buying hi-res versions of albums. I remember enjoying Tracker in HD, in 192 kHz, 24-bit audio and all.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #320 on: March 23, 2022, 03:03:31 PM »

I love buying hi-res versions of albums. I remember enjoying Tracker in HD, in 192 kHz, 24-bit audio and all.

I don't know if I can hear the difference with hi-rez. Mind you, I'm a lot older than you, and I've played in bands for 25 years!

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #321 on: March 23, 2022, 03:12:44 PM »

I don't know if I can hear the difference with hi-rez. Mind you, I'm a lot older than you, and I've played in bands for 25 years!

I can't hear the difference either ;D

To me, hi-rez simply means "the best version of the album". If I can get it and listen to that without skipping songs and all (aka listening to albums), it makes for a pretty exquisite experience. Almost like enjoying vinyl, only in digital. It's like Spotify is fast-food music and hi-rez is a fine music restaurant.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #322 on: March 23, 2022, 05:57:25 PM »

To me, hi-rez simply means "the best version of the album". If I can get it and listen to that without skipping songs and all (aka listening to albums), it makes for a pretty exquisite experience. Almost like enjoying vinyl, only in digital. It's like Spotify is fast-food music and hi-rez is a fine music restaurant.

OK, well in that case I would argue that the hi-rez files are likley in many cases to not be the "best" version.

To me, the mastering is much more important.

The loudness wars from the 2000s on have really squished the dynamics of a lot of albums. A 1985 CD of Brothers in Arms for example will sound much better than the 2005 remaster.

I personally have started collecting early CDs - it's fun to collect, they are cheap, and in may cases they sound better than subsequent remasters.

Offlineds1984

• Rüdiger
  • Used to be...
« Reply #323 on: March 23, 2022, 10:35:21 PM »

What is the purpose of high rez as a play back media ?

Sample rate allow to encode higher frequencies that are already outside of human hearing capabilities but if you want to play music for your dog - it is usefull.
Sample deeph allow you to encode higher dynamic so that when listening a very quiet part then a loud part can be encoded even louder for the sake of your hearing loss and neighbourhood peace.
Actually I don't know any existing CD that is using the full dynamic range of the media. Ravel's Bolero encoded dynamic should be topping at something like 60/70 db - try to play it at audible level from start and let it go to the end without lowering it with  the volume knob.

Of course using high rez for recording, mixing and mastering is usefull because you have to keep the best possible s/n ratio, but that is before the playback step.

The haters are those who write shit

Two weeks in Australia and Sydney striptease

OfflineTomcaster

• Camerado
  • i am new on here, be gentle
« Reply #324 on: March 24, 2022, 07:16:30 AM »
I fully agree with the loudness theory. It does not matter whether the music is high res or not if the dynamics are not good. There is a page https://dr.loudness-war.info on which you can check out dynamic ranges of albums. I have bought my CDs based on the inputs there and the results were always great

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #325 on: March 24, 2022, 07:27:16 AM »
I fully agree with the loudness theory. It does not matter whether the music is high res or not if the dynamics are not good. There is a page https://dr.loudness-war.info on which you can check out dynamic ranges of albums. I have bought my CDs based on the inputs there and the results were always great
I sent this to Guy a couple of months ago. MK got bad but is getting good again!

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #326 on: March 24, 2022, 09:18:08 AM »
I'm angry. I don't need vinyl if CD gives me all the new songs. Album could be released this year but vinyl will delay the premiere.

Think there is more to worry about in the World than a little delay on MK releasing his album because of the Vinyl issue!!!
* Mark Knopfler & Joe Bonamassa - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #327 on: March 24, 2022, 11:53:50 AM »
Of course. But using this logic, we have nothing to talk about in the forum.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #328 on: March 24, 2022, 12:34:36 PM »

Don't worry, we'll find something  ;D :lol

OfflineRobson

• Rüdiger
« Reply #329 on: March 24, 2022, 12:44:32 PM »

Don't worry, we'll find something  ;D :lol

There is hope :)
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.039 seconds with 36 queries.