Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email

News: - Make sure you know the Forum Rules and Guidelines

Also check out these related sites:

Author Topic: David Knopfler - Favorite Albums, Songs...  (Read 4129 times)

OnlineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
David Knopfler - Favorite Albums, Songs...
« on: January 03, 2022, 08:07:02 PM »
Some years ago, maybe 2010 or 2011, i asked to a brazilian producer if he wanted to bring DK to Brazil to do some concerts. He waved positively and later asked to me if i can e-mail DK for an initial approach.
I said: - Sure!
So i start to listen to all his albuns before the first contact and man... this guy have great songs.

Well, briefly resume, I made the contact, we sent some e-mails eachother, he is a very polited and funny guy... but the producer never made the final aproach and the concerts never happened.

After that, time to time, i listen some DK albuns and every new album i listen to it with attention.
I know we all love DS/MK and the JI albuns, but DK have some very great albuns.

I'm sure that you guys have listened a lot of DK's work.
So what is your DK favorite works?

In my opinion:
Best Album:
Ship Of Dreams
Wishbones
Release
Grace
Shooting For The Moon

Best Songs:
Mending My Nets
Easy Street
Somethimes There Are No Words
St Swithun's Day
Come To Me
Scarborough Fair

In other hand, DK have some, im my opinion, songs and albums that are not that great.
It's strange and understandable that DK escapes from his roots and, obviously, the DS sound.

His "Heavy Metal" era are defienetely not good.
His works have improved a lot after the release of The Giver (1993).
Nice to observe that DK's return to folk music during the Small Mercies album (1995) has some elements that i listened on MK's Get Lucky (2010).
The pinacle is the Ship Of Dreams album (2004). Great Songs, great album. After that seems to me that DK has keeping the same aspects of his music. Grace, Hearlands, Last Train Leaving...
His lastest album Sooting For The Moon its a good album.

I observe that DK's melodies/harmonies are very similar, especially when he plays the piano. And, for end my text, it's impossible to not compare to his big brother work. DK is now more a Folk Troubador that composes many ballads and some traditional folk style songs.

I believe that DK deserver more than the Founder of DS.
The Music Business was not nice with him.

OnlineRobson

• Rüdiger
Re: David Knopfler - Favorite Albums, Songs...
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2022, 08:34:43 PM »
I have good memories from the albums:

Lifelines and Wishbones.
I know the way I can see by the moonlight
Clear as the day
Now come on woman, come follow me home

Offlinelocalhero1986

• Lady writer
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2022, 11:00:42 AM »
Just received this latest album Shooting for the moon and I must admit, he made great albums in the past, but this one has again a lot of wonderful and stunning songs and is even better than anything he did in the past. DK is capble of delivering not only quantity (quite a lot of albums in relatively short time) but also great quality in songwriting and sound quality. You won’t regret buying it!

Offlinejbaent

• Honorary Knopfler fans- Editor
  • Mark F. Knopfler
  • I'm never happy unless I've sth to complain about.
    • My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2022, 11:23:11 AM »
My favorites are specially "The Giver", "Small Mercies", "Wishbones" and "Ship of dreams"

From his previous records to those, "Release" is very good as it's the first one, and from the later, "Shooting for the moon", his brand new, is very good, and also "Last train leaving" has something beautiful.

But if I had to recommend one, just one, that would be "Small Mercies".
You might get lucky, now and then

My book about Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler
http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Jbaent

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 11:28:04 AM »

His "Heavy Metal" era are defienetely not good.

His works have improved a lot after the release of The Giver (1993).
Nice to observe that DK's return to folk music during the Small Mercies album (1995) has some elements that i listened on MK's Get Lucky (2010).

With "Heavy metal" era, I guess you means his record of the 80's, they are not heavy metal at all but kind of 80's Disco thing, with very heavy drum sounds on almost everything, a lot of synthetizers... Some good songs there but ruined by that sound.

David himself says those records (Behind the lines, Cut the wire etc) are the one he likes the less because they are very influenced by the trendy sounds of the 80's and the way his voice was recorded was not good, but those records were sons of their time. He likes more his records from "The Giver" to today.

OfflineEddie Fox

• Romeo
    • Ed Raposo
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2022, 01:04:10 PM »
David is one of those artists you like because he sounds like someone you like very much. At least that’s how I feel about his music.
I am the Iron Fist. Protector of K'un-Lun. Sworn enemy of the Hand.

hunter

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2022, 10:27:32 PM »
I know it's a terrible thing to say, but DK to me sounds like a second-rate version of Mark, in every aspect. And I can't stand his singing voice.

He's a very intelligent man and writes sharp, incisive lyrics, but I can't listen to him.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 10:10:40 AM »
I know it's a terrible thing to say, but DK to me sounds like a second-rate version of Mark, in every aspect. And I can't stand his singing voice.

He's a very intelligent man and writes sharp, incisive lyrics, but I can't listen to him.

100% agree, I try to listen but just sounds like someone doing a bad MK impression.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

Offlinejbaent

• Mark F. Knopfler
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 10:57:53 AM »
I always find funny when someone said that David sings like MK but worst, always sounds like people are saying he pretends to sound like MK.

He is not. It's his voice, they are brothers. There is nothing he can do to avoid that because, I insist, it's his voice.

Offlinedustyvalentino

• Not Quite The Movie Star
  • Founder
  • THE Sultan of Swing
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 11:21:12 AM »
I always find funny when someone said that David sings like MK but worst, always sounds like people are saying he pretends to sound like MK.

He is not. It's his voice, they are brothers. There is nothing he can do to avoid that because, I insist, it's his voice.

Not saying he pretends to sound like MK, just saying I can't listen to him because of that.
"You can't polish a doo-doo" - Mark Knopfler

OfflineKnopflerfan

• Brother in Arms
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 11:22:34 AM »
I'm the same unfortunately, I've tried to like but his material is just not for me...
* Mark Knopfler - NOT just a hobby, but a way of life!

* Owner of Two Fender 'Mark Knopfler' Signature Series Stratocaster's (SE00616 & SE03805) both with signed Fender labels after meeting MK at Bridport, Dorset UK on the 27/09/2013!

Offlinesuperval99

• Erwin Knopfler
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 11:52:48 AM »
Same here! 
Goin' into Tow Law....

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 12:04:32 PM »
Can't imagine being David honestly. If I were him, I'd pursue a completely different walk of life, excuse the term. Probably out of music. If only his songs were on par with Mark's, then no problem. I know he has his audience, but I usually listen to all of his songs only once and never again. And yes, the thinking that he sounds like an MK cover band without an accent never escapes me. It's like listening to Frank Sinatra Jr., you just know it's not "the real deal", but only a relative.

OnlineRolo

• Camerado
  • i tend to be, sometimes, acid
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 02:12:46 PM »
Just received this latest album Shooting for the moon and I must admit, he made great albums in the past, but this one has again a lot of wonderful and stunning songs and is even better than anything he did in the past. DK is capble of delivering not only quantity (quite a lot of albums in relatively short time) but also great quality in songwriting and sound quality. You won’t regret buying it!

Its a good album in my opinion too.
Its very traditional in terms of textures and instruments and have a nice vibe.

I have good memories from the albums:

Lifelines and Wishbones.

Lifelines is the album that i completely dislike.
The exception is the "strait" song 'Lonely Is The Night'.
If i not wrong, Lifelines was the latter tentative to bring DK to the spotlights. The album has a relative good production and was recorded in a great studio. But DK's declarations after album release were a little childish.
In my opinion, Lifelines is a confuse album with a lot of useless information.

Wishbones is a good album too.
Not so well recorded but a good one.

My favorites are specially "The Giver", "Small Mercies", "Wishbones" and "Ship of dreams"

From his previous records to those, "Release" is very good as it's the first one, and from the later, "Shooting for the moon", his brand new, is very good, and also "Last train leaving" has something beautiful.

But if I had to recommend one, just one, that would be "Small Mercies".

Good point.
I believe that DK is recording a lot of his stuff at home. His latest albums have a contemplative vibe. These songs, maybe, is his way to getting old.

Some good songs there but ruined by that sound.

HA!! That's true  ;D

David is one of those artists you like because he sounds like someone you like very much. At least that’s how I feel about his music.
Agreed. But it's impossible not to compare him with his big brother. John's firsts albums, in my opinion, are not good either. But he's not a Knopfler and, i think that, the circumstances that involves DK solo career are always overshadowed by the Biggest Band In The World.

I think that mostly of us always expect some visual elements that MK's music have. David is a very simple guitar player, so, i think that the lack of guitar, for a DS fan, is a big syn.

Totally agreed!

Can't imagine being David honestly. If I were him, I'd pursue a completely different walk of life, excuse the term. Probably out of music. If only his songs were on par with Mark's, then no problem. I know he has his audience, but I usually listen to all of his songs only once and never again. And yes, the thinking that he sounds like an MK cover band without an accent never escapes me. It's like listening to Frank Sinatra Jr., you just know it's not "the real deal", but only a relative.

I agree and i disagree.
It's clear that DK has pursued a different way in music to not to be compared with we know who.
He is not a band leader, seems to me that he is no leader at all.
So, i agree that, DK maybe should made his way out of the music. But... Music is his passion.

I don't think DK music sound like a MK cover band. Both has the same influences and some similarities are impossible to escape.

The problem is that MK is a genius.
Mk is a genius and a leader surrounded by great people that follow his ideas.

Onlinequizzaciously

• Brother in Arms
  • Pavel Fomenkov
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 03:52:29 PM »

I agree and i disagree.
It's clear that DK has pursued a different way in music to not to be compared with we know who.
He is not a band leader, seems to me that he is no leader at all.
So, i agree that, DK maybe should made his way out of the music. But... Music is his passion.

I don't think DK music sound like a MK cover band. Both has the same influences and some similarities are impossible to escape.

The problem is that MK is a genius.
Mk is a genius and a leader surrounded by great people that follow his ideas.

Wow, that's a long answer Rolo! :lol Barely fits into my 27" 5K display.

Yes, I think David's leaving was a mistake, and I personally think that's why Mark disregarded him for so long. It's like he wanted to "make it" just like MK, and MK never wanted it. The problem with brothers is that you are either forever together like Phil and Tommy Emmanuel, or forever apart. And even Phil and Tommy made different things together, Phil would always play solos and Tommy played rhythm, and the fact that Tommy is way more successful and famous never made their relationships go stale.

And instead of going through DS together with his brother and enjoying life now like John, David make records by selling guitars his brother played on. That's ridiculous indeed! But everybody pays to play.

© 2024 amarkintime.org
This is an unofficial website dedicated to Mark Knopfler developed and maintained by fans.
Top banner design by Dutchessy.
This theme is based on the SMF theme Carbonate by Bloc.
SMF 2.0.15 | SMF © 2017, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Simple Audio Video Embedder
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 40 queries.